Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in Blaze but concerned about GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am interested in the Blaze simply because it is smaller than the Surge. I'm not necessarily concerned that I need my phone in order to have an actual map after a run, but does the Blaze still track distance, time, pace, etc. without being connected to my phone's GPS?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
93 REPLIES 93

@rich1 wrote:

it would be nice to know when there bringing out one like the Blaze but with GPS

@rich1 the Surge has GPS but is in serious need of a refresh. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone due to industrial design issues with band. See the number of comments about the band on either the Surge forum or Amazon.

I have to believe Fitbit will be coming out with a Surge 2, just like they recently announced Flex 2 and Charge 2. When that will happen is unknown. It could be in time for this holiday season, in the next couple of months, or it could be after the first of the year.

Unfortunately Blaze is not like the Apple Watch (AW), with the AW the GPS recording is done on the phone. With the Blaze the GPS data is sent from the phone to Blaze, and if there are any Bluetooth interruptions then the Blaze does not correctly record distance.

Finally, I can put my phone into airplane mode and GPS track/record all day bike rides without any battery issues. In addition its easy to charge phone in pocket with a small portable battery. This isn't practical with the Blaze or Surge or any other Fitbit due to the charging design. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great to see you around @Ann262, @rich1 and @Rich_Laue, @bbarrera thanks for stopping by! As mentioned the Blaze will work with your phone's GPS. It means that yes, you need to carry your phone with you at the moment of doing exercise. You can check the Blaze with GPS request, vote for it and leave your comment. 

Catch you later. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now I know why it is hopelessly inaccurate. Connected correctly to app, good GPS signal, stride length pre calibated manually (that's the clue there). It's just a fancy wrist band without the honest basic features that even a ph app like Runnkeeper does perfectly. The GPS is just for the production of map. It's not used to reflect your real pace or accurate distance because it can't calculate your true stride length.  Without this one SUPER IMPORTANT calculation, it will never be what it says it is. It is not a sports persons running watch. It's going back for a refund.

Comments please.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Christine 10, 

I totally agree with you. Honestly I do not see any reason why the Blaze shoouldn`t take the info about pace and distance from GPS. If Fitbit does not want to fix this bug (because it is a bug as the webiste clearly mentions that it has Connected GPS where - connect with your phone`s GPS for real time pace and distance on display) I`m going to send it bacxk for refund as well.

Best Answer

I done 22miles yesterday and fit bit showed 31 miles very disappointed and if can't even give you mileage not worth having !!!

@Timeflies1980 wrote:

I have just had a very good chat with one of the Fitbit reps regarding an issue i was having with connected GPS mapping and he alluded to this:-

- Manny A. (3/2/2016, 12:54:38 PM): That's because the steps and mileage are tracker by the Blaze itself, as opposed to the app that depends on the phone's GPS. 

- Me (3/2/2016, 12:55:25 PM): So the blaze doesn't take distance from the GPS?
- Manny A. (3/2/2016, 12:55:25 PM): Honestly, so far we have not received any issues about map routes being stopped due to taking a picture during exercise routines.
- Manny A. (3/2/2016, 12:55:40 PM): That's correct, GPS only goes towards the map route.
- Me (3/2/2016, 12:55:59 PM): So how does the biking mode give you distance when no steps are taken?
- Manny A. (3/2/2016, 12:58:09 PM): In case of a biking, as it's a non-step based activity, Connected GPS gives distance. That would be about the only exception.
- Me (3/2/2016, 1:00:52 PM): To be honest I am very surprised at this answer as it will mean when I use the Blaze for running/walking/hiking the distance will only be as good as the step count * stride length which is very inaccurate at best? Definitely not good enough for pacing etc.
- Manny A. (3/2/2016, 1:02:13 PM): I understand, however it's due to the type of activity.
- Me (3/2/2016, 1:02:58 PM): OK if that is the final answer however this is very dissapointing news

If this is indeed true then I think I will return the Blaze as it really will not give me the data I want,

Anyone else have a view on this as I find it unbelievably surprising?

Dave

Best Answer
That's the facts. I agree with your analysis. 

Christine Butler 0223183485Rotorua
Best Answer
0 Votes
Done 22 miles on Saturday my Fitbit showed 30 , some else's showed 17 and 2 others showed 22 all set same time with maps all showing the same so just don't understand how some so far out on same map and walk ....

Best regards
Lloyd
Best Answer
0 Votes

See the post above, it uses your stride to calculate disyance. Have you set your stride yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yesterday I had a run and the distance measured by the Blaze was perfect, 8.79km against 8.78 measured with Runtastic on the same phone as opposed to the typical 20-30% difference.

All I did was to deselect the Run Cues option under the gear settings when you select a run exercise.

So I thought I found the culprit...

However during the walk I had this afternoon (still selecting a run since the walk exercise does not have such option) Blaze recorded a disappointing 3.72km against 4.18km with Runtastic.

Could you try out and report your findings?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Giampi71Hi.... Did you use "Connected GPS". ?  The results below, the Blaze is not Connected GPS, just using the Blaze without the phone.

For normal walking I have found at domestic levels, my Blaze under reports by about 15%, your test was 11%. So I had to inflate my walking stride by that amount. My normal walking is now fairly accurate.  Domestic, being carparks, shopping malls, at home, and that excludes holding shopping trolleys.

I also found when I do my planned walk, at exercise speed (5+kmh) the steps and distance were accurate because it seems to ignore the setting and uses its own calculation.

I had a closed case with Support, no positive results and it is left to the engineers..

All the current comparisons have been with my Fitbit One (very accurate), MapMyRun (GPS) and Polar Beat.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, using connected GPS

Best Answer
0 Votes

For exercise where you are unable to have your phone in your pocket or strapped to you, such as refereeing in my case, will the phone gps and blaze still be able to track your route and miles? Or since my phone is in my car will the blaze resort to my steps for mileage? I'm seeing a wide variety in terms of miles traveled from game to game. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since the Blaze uses the GPS in your phone, if your phone is not with you than it will look like your not moving. Basically the Blaze records the phones position, not your position.

Please remember also that Bluetooth is limited to 30 feet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Walk every Saturday about 20 miles , 5 fit-bits between us all linked to phones and all give different distances by up to about 4 miles !!!

Best Regards
Lloyd
Best Answer
0 Votes