Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in Blaze but concerned about GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am interested in the Blaze simply because it is smaller than the Surge. I'm not necessarily concerned that I need my phone in order to have an actual map after a run, but does the Blaze still track distance, time, pace, etc. without being connected to my phone's GPS?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
93 REPLIES 93

Maybe I am having a bad day..

But have deleted the orginal post because some of those who replied failed to understand my question. I own a Surge and a Charge HR - One has conneted GPS the Surge has its Own, My wife owns a Charge HR.

( I dont need a link to fitbit products)

All I wanted to know is if there was in the pipeline a Blaze type watch which had GPS (Not connected GPS) which would be deemed more suitable for women thats more watch like and not connected GPS.

My wife thinks the Surge is rather large and ugly ( Ive got to agree) She runs over 20 miles a week and is looking to replace her Charge HR.  

I dont want to get into a Debate over devices with GPS and connected GPS being better or worse or relying on Phones. 

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes
The Blaze would have to grow in size to accommodate the GPS module and a larger battery to power it. It is why the Surge is so big. The connected GPS works great with my 6S+ which I always have with me.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks..

Yes agree the connected GPS works ok. But its reliance on the phone is a downside hence why I went from the Charge HR like my wifes to the My Surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I find the connected GPS, like the Apple Watch has but at 3 times the the price, works just as well as the GPS on the Surge. It's even more convieniant since i carry the phone with me, for saftey, anyway. The Blaze is a very light unit, and barely noticeable.
If your looking for a tracker with a self contained GPS Fitbit already has a unit for you.
Best Answer

It is amazing to me how small on-wrist GPS watches have become over the past several years.  The Surge is pretty remarkable when you think about what was available 3 or 4 years ago at a similar price point.

And I really like the Blaze.  Connected GPS is a great solution for the 90% who have their phones with them.  Saves cost and size.  I'm sure Fitbit will have something better next year, but for now it is a pretty cool device.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@mstubb wrote:

Thanks..

Yes agree the connected GPS works ok. But its reliance on the phone is a downside hence why I went from the Charge HR like my wifes to the My Surge.

Why is reliance on the phone a down side?

When ever I power walk or jog, I always have my phone with me in case of emergency.

Best Answer

The beauty of the Fitbit line is that there are no 2 trackers modeld the same, as you will find that not everybody wants the same features.  This is why you can Find your Fit at Fitbit.

What would the world be like if every automobile manufacturer made all their models have the same features. My grandmother who drove 900 miles a year would not want to drive a car designed to be comfortable at 180 mph.  

Best Answer

Its a downside for those not wishing to take a phone or decide to go out if the phone battery level is low.

If their was no need Iam faily sure Fitbit would not have wasted time in developing a device with GPS.

I know if I go for a run and my surge is charged I know it wont go flat. If my phone is not 100% charged I cant garantee it wont go flat due to GPS use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mstubb wrote:

Its a downside for those not wishing to take a phone or decide to go out if the phone battery level is low.

If their was no need Iam faily sure Fitbit would not have wasted time in developing a device with GPS.

I know if I go for a run and my surge is charged I know it wont go flat. If my phone is not 100% charged I cant garantee it wont go flat due to GPS use.

There is definitely a market for built-in GPS for exactly the reasons you've pointed out @mstubb.  It is a big plus for the Surge over other fitibits.  But, as others have pointed out, not everyone needs it and it makes the Blaze cheaper and smaller for those who don't want it.  

Happy stepping.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@mstubb wrote:

i take 2 phones

one private, one corporate.

batteries always 100% full.

that's a matter of organization. easy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats great 

Well done you, give yourself a big pat on the back for being "organized" 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For those that are looking for GPS in a Fitbit tracker, look no more Fitbit has the Surge that will meet your expectations.

The Blaze is not designed to replace but is marketed as a step down from the Surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I total disagree, I have just opened the Fitbit Blaze specs and in the first paragraph it states "connected GPS". It should have no reference to GPS at all. I am very aware my phone has a GPS, but I was not buying a phone from Fitbit. If anyone is going to rely on their phones fitness apps, why would they fork out money on a fitness watch? Just get a heart rate strap and save your money. But bringing out a new model with less useable features then the last is like Ford or Chrysler bring out next years models without this years features, no company CEO would approve this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where does the Blaze cost $339?  I paid $199 for mine while the Surge would have cost me $249, this is in USD.

Best Answer
0 Votes

even with only one, it's fully charged.

and I changed for a bigger battery in my private phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@macrev wrote:
But bringing out a new model with less useable features then the last is like Ford or Chrysler bring out next years models without this years features, no company CEO would approve this.

Blaze is not the NEW Surge with less features.

it's another model

don't compare this year Ford luxury sedan with the next year Ford compact.

Best Answer

To go right back to the first post on this page, it's worth pointing out that the Charge HR does not have Connected GPS, it has no GPS at all. Connected GPS is a new feature introduced with the Blaze. I agree that the end result is similar to using MobileRun from the Fitbit app but the 'in run' experience is different.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And that is exactly what the Blaze has "connected GPS" You can not blame the company if you don't understand what connected GPS is. Fitbit did the right thing mentioning that, as it is a feature that other Fitbits do not have. Charge HR is what I used prior to the Blaze and it did not have this feature. I do not NEED a watch to have built in, not everyone does. This way, I can put my phone in an armband and not touch it unless I need to. I can check my distance, pace and HR from the Blaze and control music/see notifications. Not everyone likes to use heart rate straps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
For your information the Charge HR does not have connected GPS. It uses the Fitbit App connected to your account, wroth the phones GPS. The app is recording the GPS data. With the Blaze it connects to the GPD on the phone, then the Blaze records the GPS data.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Went for a walk Sunday, here's my blaze map:

At the end of you walk you get full stats on your blaze or in the dashboard.

desktop.jpg

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes