Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in Blaze but concerned about GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am interested in the Blaze simply because it is smaller than the Surge. I'm not necessarily concerned that I need my phone in order to have an actual map after a run, but does the Blaze still track distance, time, pace, etc. without being connected to my phone's GPS?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
93 REPLIES 93

@EmersonFitbit could we get an update on how Blaze calculates distance when using Connected GPS? There is some confusion, not sure if its a) steps x stride, or b) GPS distance.

Thanks in advance.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sure thing, @bbarrera!

Like with MobileRun, Connected GPS will use your phone's GPS capabilities to determine distance. If you're running an exercise without GPS, steps/stride length. 

If you're using a tracker with GPS and start moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will use steps and stride length as described above to calculate the distance you travel until a GPS signal is found.

Relevant help article.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer

Thanks!

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I live in an upstairs apartment and want to be sure Blaze uses my phone GPS. I use Nike every run, simply because I want to have it keep a running total of my mileage. If I walk downstairs, start Nike, then go to Exercise-Run on my Blaze....that will use the Connected GPS for distance? I just want to be sure I do it correctly and that it doesn't detect movement because of walking down the stairs and use steps instead of Connected GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@EmersonFitbit thanks for the clarification. Someone should should probably tell support as this is not what they are communicating. It's leading to lots of confusion and potentially pitting people of buying a Fitbit with connected GPS. See my previous post regarding the conversation I had with them.
Dave
Best Answer
0 Votes
@EmersonFitbit thank you- appreciate the clarification as well! One other question- will the blaze use connected GPS to calibrate stride length? Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Timeflies1980 You're very welcome. We appreciate your feedback, and will continue to to relay relevant feedback to the appropriate customer-facing parties!

@SunsetRunner You're very welcome as well. GPS won't help calbrate stride length; you'll have to use your existing knowledge (or this help article) to grab it on your own. This will help you when determining distance when you're not using Connected GPS on Blaze.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmersonFitbit

If GPS won't help calibrate stride length then please explain the function of the auto switch under stride length on the app. It states that stride length is automatically adjusted every time you go on a run with a gps enabled device. I am having GPS connect inaccurracy problems as well and was thinking maybe i'm lossing signal and the tracker was using stride length as a back-up like it's suppose to but my stride length might not be set right.

Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@jwebb72 The "Auto" switch under stride length was just added to the app yesterday. @EmersonFitbit made his post in March.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@SunsetRunner thanks, I didn't know that.
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having these same inaccuracy issues as well.  I have contacted customer support and they are telling me something completely different than @EmersonFitbit is saying.  Customer support is telling me that Blaze uses an algorithm based on stride length to determine distance.  Even when connected GPS is on.  I'm finding with Blaze that my measured mile routes are consistently coming up short at around .89 to .96 of a mile.  Which does not seem like too big of deal.  But it is roughly 10% of the total distance missing on average.  To put this in perspective every 10 miles run would only be recorded by Blaze as 9 miles.  

The interesting thing is though, that I have adjusted the stride length on Blaze with no affect on the recorded distance.  

Best Answer
@Idjet sounds like you are having the same issue as me. Even when connected GPS is on with full green bars, the Blaze isn't using GPS but less accurate cellular network data for location. To test this switch on your phone's location from high accuracy GPS + Cellular to GPS only. The Blaze with only get one red bar on the let's go screen and will only use stride for distance without a plotted map route. Initiating a exercise through the Fitbit app tracks distance perfectly using either GPS modes. I emailed support and I hope they respond soon and recognize my issue without dismissing it, I'll keep you posted. My phone is a Motorola Moto E running 5.1
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes
What's the point of connecting to your phone for gps when your walking then????!!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

it would be nice to know when there bringing out one like the Blaze but with GPS

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, I thought the Blaze had GPS and now I realize it doesn't.  I iwll have to carry my phone on all my runs.  😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I didn't understand what "connected GPS" meant.  For $200, which is less than the surge but not cheap by any means.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect GPS tracking at that price point.  Oh well, I have it now.  I guess I have to carry my phone on all my runs now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
The connected GPS is like the Apple Watch, the Blaze connects to your phones GPS and records the path you went. So yes it has gps traking.
If they moved the GPS into the watch the Blaze would need to be twice as big
Best Answer

yes and in the mean time your battery will be drained at the end 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner I'm still getting 10+ hours of GPS with the 20 month old Surge. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rich1 the phone battery will go before the Blaze does.. If you want a built in GPS then you probably should get the Surge. 

Best Answer
0 Votes