Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Fitbit: Blaze calories way off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there! 

I'm new to Fitbit, as well as the Blaze. I just recently purchased one and so far, it's really cool! However, one cavaet of mine is the calories burned is way off.

From the time I'm writing this, I've only been up for 2 hours and did my normal routine of getting ready for work (not strenuous at all). My fitbit has logged that I've burned a whopping 856 calories so far. 

I'm sorry if this is a repeated post, but I'm really trying to find some sort of clarity here. Is my fitbit working incorrectly? Did I input my data incorrectly that would make it think I'm burning more than I should? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

HI,

It starts calculating your calorie burn at midnight so depending on your size, that could be right.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it starts calculating how many calories you burn starting midnight. We are constantly buying calories, while we are resting and asleep. They aren't "fat-burned" calories but they're just burned as we do daily our daily tasks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hm, I see! Just feels a little weird waking up in the morning seeing I burned like 600 calories.. Haha I guess I'll just give it a go! Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Family @LeFritz! Thanks for the advice @sarahovoxo and @lizandjoem. Yeah, as they previous users mentioned; the calories burned that you're seeing are: Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My calorie counter averaged between 2,500 and 3,000 until a few days ago. Then the count shot up to over 8,000 per day. Stranger still, it retroactively changed totals going back about a week and a half. I am not doing anything differently and I am not burning that many calories. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

1FB

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to have you here @1FB! As some councils mentioned here, you may want to check that all your personal information is entered properly and that there's no activity logged into your account. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes