Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No warranty for unauthorized retailers

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I had an issue with my husbands Fitbit and contacted them about it and was told my Fitbit was not under warranty because it was purchased from eBay, even though it was brand new and sealed? Am I stupid for not knowing this? I still spent the money and have proof I purchased the product brand new, what's the problem?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Kikizmommy1,

While I understand your frustration and thus your disposition to move to another tracker, rest assured that no other company that I'm aware of will honor a warranty from an ebay purchase.  I have purchased and sold items on ebay.  I generally keep all the packaging and sell it on ebay with all the original packaging.  It's nearly impossible to tell if an item has been opened.  I have a Fitbit Zip that I've loaned to friends who are curious, most think it has never been opened.

If you truly want to move trackers as a response from Fitbit not honoring this warranty, I'd caution you against buying your subsequent tracker on ebay, if you look at the warranty details for different trackers:

Fitbit: "This Limited Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of Product that was purchased from an authorized retailer or sales channel and manufactured by or for Fitbit that can be identified by an authorized “Fitbit” trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to it."

Garmin: "Online Auction Purchases: Products purchased through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin warranty coverage. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

Jawbone: "Jawbone issues this Warranty to a consumer ("Consumer" or "you") who buys a new, covered device from an authorized reseller. This Warranty cannot be assigned or transferred to any subsequent purchaser or user."

I'm sure that whatever tracker you elect to get next, there will be a similar policy.

Though I'm a little confused, $200 is full retail for the Blaze.  If you're willing to pay full retail, why not go with an authorized retailer (like Amazon, where it's only listed for $174) and forgo the volatility of an ebay purchase?

All that said, the other option you may have is to contact the ebay seller to see if he/she still has the original receipt, you may be able to get warranty service that way.  Though technically, he/she would have to contact Fitbit.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@Kikizmommy1 unfortunately eBay isn't an authorized retailer, such as Best Buy who does sell items on that site.

If your seller on eBay accepts returns or you paid via Paypal or a credit card, you may have some recourse.

Is there a problem on his Blaze that the community could help you solve?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
@Kikizmommy1 Unfortunately, that is pretty much the case with any item you get off eBay. Retailers usually have an approved retailer list and their warranties typically say you have to have proof of purchase from an approved retailer. I think it's because have no way of knowing if it is a legit device - it could be a knockoff or refurbished and resealed.

Best Answer
😞 well that sucks. Hes out a $200 device because the band was faulty..... I have one of my own bought from Khols, I think I'm going to return it and get my money back. I'll be switching to another company
Best Answer
0 Votes

You could try to resolve it with the seller or eBay. If it's just the Blaze band, you can always buy a replacement.  Amazon has several cheap, 3rd party options.  Hope it works out for you.

Best Answer
Thank you. The original band was the problem, it kept popping out on one end, and ended up causing him to lose his Fitbit completely. He retraced his steps with no luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Kikizmommy1,

While I understand your frustration and thus your disposition to move to another tracker, rest assured that no other company that I'm aware of will honor a warranty from an ebay purchase.  I have purchased and sold items on ebay.  I generally keep all the packaging and sell it on ebay with all the original packaging.  It's nearly impossible to tell if an item has been opened.  I have a Fitbit Zip that I've loaned to friends who are curious, most think it has never been opened.

If you truly want to move trackers as a response from Fitbit not honoring this warranty, I'd caution you against buying your subsequent tracker on ebay, if you look at the warranty details for different trackers:

Fitbit: "This Limited Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of Product that was purchased from an authorized retailer or sales channel and manufactured by or for Fitbit that can be identified by an authorized “Fitbit” trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to it."

Garmin: "Online Auction Purchases: Products purchased through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin warranty coverage. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

Jawbone: "Jawbone issues this Warranty to a consumer ("Consumer" or "you") who buys a new, covered device from an authorized reseller. This Warranty cannot be assigned or transferred to any subsequent purchaser or user."

I'm sure that whatever tracker you elect to get next, there will be a similar policy.

Though I'm a little confused, $200 is full retail for the Blaze.  If you're willing to pay full retail, why not go with an authorized retailer (like Amazon, where it's only listed for $174) and forgo the volatility of an ebay purchase?

All that said, the other option you may have is to contact the ebay seller to see if he/she still has the original receipt, you may be able to get warranty service that way.  Though technically, he/she would have to contact Fitbit.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer
I will try to contact the seller. I honestly had NO idea aboit authorized
sellers. None. I bought a Samsung phone prior from ebay and had issues
and Samsung warranty covered me so i really was completely cluess. Such a
sucky situation. Thank you for your reply
Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree, I've bought and sold used Apple phones, tablets, and laptops. No problem getting warranty coverage, in fact you can go to Apple site and enter the serial number to confirm amount of time left on the warranty. The warranty transfers to new owner.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@bbarrera,

That's fair, but in this case Fitbit (and Garmin, and Jawbone) are all pretty explicit about sales not from authorized retailers being out of warranty.

There are other instances, of course...  CostCo and REI offer unconditional warranty for many of their purchases.  Amex offers an additional year over the manufacturer's warranty.

All that said, when buying from ebay, I'll assume that I don't get a warranty unless the seller is explicit that it comes with one.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

@PureEvil wrote:
While I understand your frustration and thus your disposition to move to another tracker, rest assured that no other company that I'm aware of will honor a warranty from an ebay purchase.

@bbarrera,

That's fair, but in this case Fitbit (and Garmin, and Jawbone) are all pretty explicit about sales not from authorized retailers being out of warranty.

Like Apple and Samsung, Garmin allows warranty work if you purchased used. Its right there in the Garmin warranty text you posted. Garmin provides warranty service if you purchase via online auction and have the original receipt.

FWIW I'm an engineer and I write contracts for a living. With respect to explicit, Fitbit's affirmative warranty statement isn't explicit:

LIMITED PRODUCT WARRANTY

Fitbit, Inc. ("Fitbit") warrants to the original purchaser that your Fitbit electronic device (the "Product") shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use

This statement only specifies one exception - warranty for original owner only - and fails to specify that purchase must be from authorized store. The store exception is only found out 3 paragraphs later, completely buried in Remedies section. And then repeated again in Exclusions and Limitations. A lot of scrolling down that page is required.

Those are the reasons I don't find Fitbit's warranty to be explicit. 

Best Answer
Maybe Garmin will get my money then. I definitely learned my lesson either way but I just don't feel right keeping the device considering it hasn't been working properly since last update and now this. Thank you for all that commented! Fitbit being returned this week
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not one word from a Fitbit employee either. This is disappointing, I heard great things about fit bit which is why I decided to try it out and purchase 2 blazes, big mistake
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit employees are forum moderators, they are genuinely nice people and want to help, not much they can do or say. The executives decide on warranty policy, and I doubt they visit the forums.

Best Answer

@Kikizmommy1 There are only a few moderators, fitbit employees, they they will be glad to help out if they stumble across this thread.. They do not try to read every thread on this site.

If we go to the discussion board we can then look at the thread on Fitbit Community Basics. Here we can find out how to determine who is a fitbit employee and how to tag or mention someone, this will let them know that they where mentioned. 

Best Answer

While I appreciate you educating all of us eBay users, it is information that is too late for some of us. I buy new, and I think it is covered under the warranty. I don't know until it is too late.  I too have an issue with the band delaminating, and I am left without support from fitbit.

While I understand where fitbit is coming from, let me put things in a different perspective...

This is a known issue with the wristbands. What this says to me is that the company knows there is an issue with the adhesives or design of this wristband that is causing numerous complaints and warranty issues due to delamination.  Because of where I purchased this item, ignorant as I may be to fitbits policy, fitbit is using it as an excuse not to stand behind their product, which again, is a known issue.  I have read some posts that said that the delamination happened with a couple of months of purchase.  I have had mine for 9 months.

My view is this, situations like this should still be resolved.  It cost fitbit little to resolve the situation, but cost them far more in negative feedback from honest customers like myself, who thought they were buying a quality product. 

Sometimes what the company should be more concerned about is return customers, like I would have been if they would have resolved this issue for me.  I was looking at the new HR2 to replace this one and was going to give this one with a new band to my son.

While my son will still get this one, I will not be purchasing a new fitbit.  I have learned my lesson about authorized sellers, and will keep that in mind when I upgrade this one.  Too bad fitbit, because you decided to save a few bucks in not replacing this band because of where I purchased it, you lost a customer.  Not to mention how many people will be told about my dissatisfaction with your company.

Best Answer

I bought a nearly new fitbit charge2 on ebay, after reading this post i decide to return the item ( lucky it is still within 28 days).

Non transferable warranty mean any used fitbit have little or no resale value

My next choice will be Apple watch which will cover the warranty by the serial number not by who or where you have purchase the item, which is a more sensible policy.

Will cost me a bit more money but at lease i am safe to know it has warranty.

Best Answer

If I purchase a fitbit through Amazon will fitbit honor the warranty?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The link to the warranty, may be found below. 

Best Answer

@ShannonGarr Amazon is on the Fitbit retailer page. https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/partners/retailers 

Best Answer
0 Votes