Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not tracking my walks, not happy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I got the Blaze and have had it for almost a week. I switch off between my HR and the Blaze.  Today I decided to do a test.  I wore the Blaze all day, on my left wrist, which is my "watch wrist".  It tracked my steps just fine.  I decided to keep it on when I took my dogs for a walk.  Usually, I will wear my HD and that will be on my right wrist.  (yes I do take one off and do not wear both at the same time)

So the leashes and dogs are on my left side where I am holding the leashes.  My right hand is free.  Well, got back from 1/2 hour walk, and the Blaze did not track my walk.  This is very concerning to me.  Is it because the Blaze is not on my "swinging arm"?

I had to mannually enter my walk in.

I also did the eliptical with the Blaze on, before my walk, and it did track it just fine.

Any suggestions would be great!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@Stacesam1 wrote:

So I got the Blaze and have had it for almost a week. I switch off between my HR and the Blaze.  Today I decided to do a test.  I wore the Blaze all day, on my left wrist, which is my "watch wrist".  It tracked my steps just fine.  I decided to keep it on when I took my dogs for a walk.  Usually, I will wear my HD and that will be on my right wrist.  (yes I do take one off and do not wear both at the same time)

So the leashes and dogs are on my left side where I am holding the leashes.  My right hand is free.  Well, got back from 1/2 hour walk, and the Blaze did not track my walk.  This is very concerning to me.  Is it because the Blaze is not on my "swinging arm"?

I had to mannually enter my walk in.

I also did the eliptical with the Blaze on, before my walk, and it did track it just fine.

Any suggestions would be great!

@Stacesam1From my understanding of how it works, it does track steps largely based on the typical movements of a person running and walking (moving their arms in a certain way).  Check this article out, which explains a bit further.

Hope that helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just a theory, but if the leads were pretty taught and pulling on your arm they might have stopped your arm rising and falling with your feet and somknocked out the tracking. There doesn't need to be a swing to track a step but there definitely needs to be a freedom for the vibrations of your steps to propagate through your body to the tracker.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a note there are 4 ways to track walks with the Blaze.

• Let it automatically do this, the arm with the Blaze might need to swing in a natural way. No miles will be reporte. Since this is anylizing the activity, it is taking an educated guess, might get start and/or stop times wrong. Especially if the arm isn't moving naturally.
  • Use the connected GPS, you will need the phone
  • Use the walk tracking without the GPS, you might need to set up the stride.
  • Use the Fitbit App to track with the GPS, this also requires the phoneto be with you.
  • Log the walk later

Personally I prefer to start manually since there is better control, and unhooking always shows up as an elliptical because of the arm motions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You are correct. However, my left arm does not swing when I walk with
them. Its strange.... I do believe that that may be the issue. I may have
to wear the Blaze on my right hand when I walk, which would be a pain in
the butt.
Best Answer
0 Votes