Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers of floors climbed is always off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Not that it matters all that much to me because I know that I climbed them, but my former Charge HR and now my new Blaze always seem to miss a lot of stairs climbs I do. I realize that this is a function of altitude (air pressure) and that the detector is really small, but if it's accuracy is suspect - why bother with it at all?
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

I recamend resarting your blaze. The steps to doing this are below. These instructions are directly from fitbit. You can access the page with restarting info from fitbit here.

1. Press and hold the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personally I kinda feel the way you do  @SiberianKhatru. Since the extra calories you burn climbing up, are subtracted with the climb down, plus the fact that Fitbit doesn't factor stairs into Amy calorie count. Now to add that I live in a 1 story building in a very flat area, I'm lucky to get 10 stairs a week.

I did do the math, and reported it on another thread. Basically take a US dollar, cut it into 50 even pieces, one piece is about the change in are pressure between sea level and 3 meters.

But I still think it is cool that it works as well as it does.

Now in addition to restarting as per @SunsetRunner's instructions, I would also go into the Blaze setting screen and do a shutdown. The 2 are not the same and some have found the one way fixed things the other way doesn't.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My thought would be that other companies also do this, they also have the same problem/limitations, and the Fitbit users want this parameter monitored.

For me if my Fitbit registers 1 floor a day, it usually is in error, my count should be zero.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I recamend resarting your blaze. The steps to doing this are below. These instructions are directly from fitbit. You can access the page with restarting info from fitbit here.

1. Press and hold the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Personally I kinda feel the way you do  @SiberianKhatru. Since the extra calories you burn climbing up, are subtracted with the climb down, plus the fact that Fitbit doesn't factor stairs into Amy calorie count. Now to add that I live in a 1 story building in a very flat area, I'm lucky to get 10 stairs a week.

I did do the math, and reported it on another thread. Basically take a US dollar, cut it into 50 even pieces, one piece is about the change in are pressure between sea level and 3 meters.

But I still think it is cool that it works as well as it does.

Now in addition to restarting as per @SunsetRunner's instructions, I would also go into the Blaze setting screen and do a shutdown. The 2 are not the same and some have found the one way fixed things the other way doesn't.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did this, and it still misses statue climbs. As I said, knowing how small this sensor must be and how little difference 10' of altitude is in terms of barometric pressure is not terribly surprising. I've also had my device register 100 extra floors during inclement weather. So my real point is this; if the process is this fraught with error, why bother with it at all?
Best Answer

My thought would be that other companies also do this, they also have the same problem/limitations, and the Fitbit users want this parameter monitored.

For me if my Fitbit registers 1 floor a day, it usually is in error, my count should be zero.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh, I don't know about zero lol... I lived in the Mojave Desert at Edward's AFB for a few years and even there the elevation wasn't strictly flat when I ran in it. Now the dry lake beds are another story... They are flat enough to land Space Shuttles on.
Best Answer
0 Votes