Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventive maintenance for heart rate sensor cover

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

During a cleaning of my Blaze I noticed a small crack on the clear plastic covering the heart rate sensor in between the green led lights. This is after about 8 months, so didn't happen right away, but not something you want to find happening to a product that should last longer than that.

Now customer service had no problem sending me a new tracker only (pebble they call it) because I'm still within my warranty. That's all good until I'm past warranty and this clearly known design flaw gives out again!

The sensor would definitely stop working due to malfunction caused from sweat and dirt getting inside. My reason for posting here today is to ask if anyone knows of anything to prevent this from happening again? I wad thinking something simple as packing tape or similar item? Not sure if that would effect the sensor or my skin. 

Any suggestions or feedback based on your experience would be great. 

Thank you,

Landon

Hard to see the crack, but clearly the plastic is getting fogged over and will hinder the sensor useless in no time...Hard to see the crack, but clearly the plastic is getting fogged over and will hinder the sensor useless in no time...

Side note, I wish I would've know about this problem so I didn't need a replacement. Refurbished replacements are garbage! The replacement I received was broken, blacked out pixels and wouldn't even boot up! Not to mention the slowest possible shipping available. 5-8 days each way. 7 to me, 7 to return back, still waiting but expecting 10-14 days until it is back in my hands. Almost a month of tracking lost because of a 2 cent plastic part! 

Even more the reason to prevent this if possible.

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

You're quite welcome and I highly advise using the Clear HD Duct packaging tape that was so awesomely suggested by @KB9WNS if you choose to get a replacement. I've been using my replacement Blaze with the tape for about a week now and it seems to be doing the trick incredibly well. My tracker definitely seems to be having an easier time of keeping my heart rate. No matter when I look at it, it always has some number there that seems quite reasonable, unlike the one I first purchased, that seemed to have a bit of trouble, particularly when my heartrate was elevated. 

Best Answer

Thank you very kind of you to share your expertise!

Best Answer
0 Votes
@SLHenson

I have the blaze as well. It worked perfectly until this past Wednesday when It just stopped tracking my heart rate. I’ve tried every suggestion with no success. My green lights still blink and glow but it doesn’t register anything. I contacted customer service and they didn’t even try to help me since it’s out of warranty. I also got the coupon of 25% at Fitbit.com ONLY. I agree with others, why would I want to buy another one with no help as to what even went wrong and with no help from the company. Annoyed for sure. Guess I’ll just have a fancy watch for now. 

The exact same thing has happened with me now.  Green lights flashing, HR stuck at 70. Fitbit offer me 25% off of their US site which is no use to me as I live in the UK.  Plus, why would I want to throw good money away for a fault that has not been corrected. Won't be buying fitbit again.

Best Answer

Duck tape.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KB9WNS wrote:

Duck tape.....

I will certainly try it.  My first Blaze was bought in Feb 2016. It needed replaced in July 2016.  Under EU law I have a two year warranty.  I think it should count from July 2016 as the replacement is under two years old.  We have very robust Consumer Protection here so I am contacting them and my credit card company to complain.  

I will be trying duct tape once I get this sorted.  Plus I still have the first pebble [it was a battery issue] so was wondering if I would be able to take my tracker apart and replace the HR sensor part, then cover it with duck tape.  Thanks for the info @KB9WNS.

Best Answer

@Lbirisheyes wrote:

It looks like mine has discoloration or build up and I’m thinking it’s due to a crack. My green light will not turn off no matter what I do, it’s getting my tracker hot to the touch because it glows green constantly and drains my battery within a few hours. Is there any way to clean that screen on the inside and then cover it with tape to hopefully get the green glow to go away?

It is very likely that sweat got into the inside and has corroded and short-circuited the HR sensor board.

You can try to open the Blaze and attempt to clean it from the inside.  It does require some expertise in electronic repair.

It requires a T3 Torx screwdriver, available on Amazon for about $2, and a sharp miniature "full flush cut" diagonal wire cutters, a "splurger tool also available on Amazon and a clean well lit work table.  

A microscope or a good magnifier glass is advised.

Remove the 4 T3 screws and save, carefully lift the back cover off there is a flex jumper connecting the HR sensor to the motherboard.  Using the splurger tool carefully lift the retaining latch on the HR sensor connector and remove the flex jumper.

Carefully nip away the plastic heat staked retainers holding the HR sensor board in place and then carefully remove.

Clean the window and HR sensor board with distilled water and dry with compressed air.  If the board is corroded it will need replacement which can be acquired by salvaging a broken Blaze with a good window and HR board.

Reassemble in reverse order.

Thoroughly clean the HR sensor window with alcohol and allow to dry. 

Apply the Duck tape over the window.

Plenty of videos and instructables on the web showing how to do it.

Best Answer

Thanks KB9WNS for your advice. 

Best Answer

The HR sensor board can be secured using either hot melt adhesive or electronic grade RTV such as Dow 3145 or equivalent.

Best Answer

Thank you so much for your reply! I called them and was able to get it replaced at no cost. I just got it in the mail today and I’ve immediately applied some clear packaging tape to the sensor since that’s what I had on hand. I will most definitely keep an eye on it more closely now! Thank you again for your help with this! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine looks just like this 😒

Finally figured out how to post the photoFinally figured out how to post the photo

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sassy48 wrote:

Not an engineer. Did you just peel off old tape and put on clear Duck tape?

There was no old tape.  I cleaned the sensor window with alcohol and carefully applied the clear Duck tape.  You have to do this prior to the window developing cracks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
And the sensor is showing your HR? Did you just peel the old tape off and put on new, without any engineering work?

Thanks for this.
S.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sassy48 wrote:

No.  Cracks, just seems discoloured. 

It's failing.  You might be able to extend the life of it by covering it with the clear tape.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone!

I hope you are doing fine and appreciate all the attachments. It's sad to hear about what happened with your trackers heart rate sensors, please feel free to get in touch with our support team regarding this, I know they will be glad to help you out. For a faster response you can contact them via chat.

Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have already talked with a customer service rep.  As my 1 year warranty has expired, his solution was to offer me 25% off a new Fitbit (which is the same price as a Fitbit on Amazon).  He suggested that, or an upgrade to a more expensive model, or, living without the HR sensor.  Right now I am doing the latter.

I think Fitbit should put out caveats for new owners - do not put any cream or suntan oil under Fitbits, and clean the sensor regularly. Other customers have taken preemptive measures to put tape over the sensor, to avoid contact with any oil.

Apple Watch offers a 2 year warranty - 1 year warranty is not helpful.  2 watchbands broke on my Fitbit, and now this. I am seriously thinking of getting an Apple Watch or a Garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the update @Sassy48.

I appreciate the feedback provided. If you are considering using that discount, I recommend taking a look at this page, where you will be able to compare all of our devices, maybe there's one that meet your needs.

If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know. Smiley Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same crack to my HR sensor !!! How this is haven't ? Bad quality ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I think so. 'Built in obsolescence". 

I use it without the HR, one of the main reasons I got it!

i think they should be sold with the caveat, don't get any oil etc under it and don't use for any strenuous work 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted customer service and they could only offer me a discount on a new fitbit. I decided to buy a samsung watch instead. For a little more money you get a quality device.

Best Answer

I did that too. Once I was told that my offered 50% discount could only be used on an older model device or one of the less feature rich devices or another brand new Blaze and could not be used on a newer device that has apparently addressed this sensor issue, I told them I would take the Blaze replacement Pebble and  purchased a Gear S3 Frontier while I waited for my replacement Pebble to arrive. I ordered a new band for the Blaze and decided to put tape on the sensor window and give it to my mom since I did not feel like going through the hassle of trying to sell it. She's happy and so far, so am I. I miss the Fitbit ecosystem but the over all quality and function of my Gear S3,  it is AMAZING!! Easily the best electronic purchase I've ever made, especially now that it's been out for a while and can be purchased for around the same price as a new Fitbit and still get you better build quality and higher function than anything Fitbit has to offer at this time.

Best Answer