Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof GPS distances, split times, and pace are WRONG on blaze

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was a Surge user, I love everything about the Blaze more, except for three things.

I hate that there isn't a dim mode on the watch and having to turn it to see the time, is annoying.  Similar issue, when the alarm goes off, why doesn't the screen just come on?

But my biggest complain is the GPS tracking is just wrong.   Here is the proof.

Setup - iPhone 6s, running ios 9.2.1, firmware 1.23.00

Mapmywalk Build 16.2.3

Fitbit app 2.20 (173)

Fitbit Blaze Version 17.8.102.7

As far as I know there are the current versions/build of the hardware and software.

I had the Fitbit app running, and I opened Mapmywalk.  I started a walk, then I put my phone into my belt pouch, put the pouch on, and put my water bottle on my belt.  This took approximately 1 minute. Then I started an exercise on my fitbit, for a walk, and had 4-5 bars on the GPS and started a walk. 

I then walked 1/10 of a mile to the local park in my neighborhood, and started walking a approximately 1/4 mile oval track until my Blaze showed I walked over 4 miles.  I then walked home and stoped my fitbit, and the mapmywalk app.

But the fitbit app and mapmywalk are using the SAME GPS on my phone to calculate distance traveled.

Mapmywalk

Distance traveled 4.36 miles

Durantion 1:25:39

Pace 19:37

Splits

1 mile 20:40

2 mile 18:50

3 mile 18:32

4 mile 19:33

4.37 mile 21:24

Blaze

Distance traveled 4.22 miles

Durantion 1:24:34

Pace 20:02

Splits

1 mile 20:45

2 mile 19:37

3 mile 18:55

4 mile 20:11

4.22 mile 23:01

So you can clearly see that the Blaze is wrong.  Which agrees with the numbers from my Surge.

Since both are using the SAME GPS system, they should be identical. 

I don't know what is wrong, but I'm not happy...

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Fitbit Blaze has a bug. Could be software or hardware.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I havent tested it on androod, but was wondering if using to gps apps of they wpuld interfere.
Yes the do use the same GPS unit, and all the GPS does is report possitions, it is up to MMW and Fitbit to do the math.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Issue with Blaze. I use "connected GPS" with Apple Watch, and RideWithGPS on iPhone, and record ride with Garmin Edge 520 bike computer. All three report same distance. The watch and RideWithGPS are working in same fashion as his test with MapMy and Blaze. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I saw another run a map tracker on his phone as the same time and his Blaze, and he got similar results.  I've seen several others complain biking, and running distances are wrong. 

I walk a huge number of different tracks around the Houston, and Texas area. 

My first walk was on a 2.75 mile long straight course last Saturday.  My Surge would show 2.85 miles on this course.  My Blaze showed 2.60 miles.  I walked a 3 mile loop, that's really a large triangle.  My Surge shows it at 2.99 to 3.01 miles.  My Blaze, 2.90 miles both time I made a loop there.

I walked another course with the two loops that combined are .75 long on my Surge, and on Mapmywalk.  Blaze showed .70.

I did the walk yesterday due to weather.  I wanted to be able to get home in a hurry if it started raining.  So I walked the track behind my house. It's small, and flat. but short.  I prefer larger courses.  Gets boring walking in circles a million times....  I think I did 16 or 17 laps yesterday...

I've contacted support, and they suggested something ODD.  They suggested that the shortage is because I haven't set my stride length.  I could accept that, IF my Surge showed the same distances as the Blaze does.  But the Blaze is always short.  But I suppose the Blaze might take your step count into distance calculation, more than the Surge did.  Stupid, but maybe they did that because the GPS tracking isn't accurate.  But I've seen biker riders on the forum complain that the distances are wrong too.  I've also seen a few others complain about running and walking distances wrong with the Blaze.  So I'm not alone.  One guy was comparing his Polar to the Blaze, and it was off by 1/2 a mile.

But just in case I'll visit a football field this weekend, and I'll walk 50 yards a couple of times, and get a step count, and update my stride length.  Then I'll walk the 100 yards a couple of times with my Blaze, and then I'll walk the same 100 yards with my Surge.  I'll use mapmywalk too. 

I'm willing to bet the Blaze will be short.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't duplicate this on my Blaze. At most, I'm .01 short. Tested with multiple gps apps and on a track with marked mileage.
Best Answer
0 Votes