Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps average calculation incorrect in my profile

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hi there I joined right around my birthday April 24 since it was a bday present. I walk over 10,000 steps daily sometimes more like 18,000. My average steps are 6,000 daily which is totally incorrect. How is this calculated in your system?
Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Hi @Trinity---, let me welcome you to our Fitbit Community. I would like to know where are you seeing your daily Average. If your daily count is around 18k steps, then your average for 7 days should be 18k. Note that I don't walk too presently due to my routine, so I do in a day around 3,000 steps some days more so, my 7 days average is around 3,000 steps.

Average.JPG

So the recommendation I can give is to make sure to sync regularly to ensure that your Average stay updated. For example, if a user takes 40,000 steps for the first four days of a week, then doesn't sync for three days, their total would be 40,000 at the end of seven days, yet their average will still be 10,000, as this was the average at the time of their last sync.

Hope this helps and keep me posted if your average still is not accurate.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same problem and it has only been one day. I have a lot of old bad data from shipping I can't figure out how to delete.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner would. Pi possibly be able to be a little more specific as. WhY old bad data refers too? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I sync all the time and still have inaccurate reporting. On the dashboard it says one thing. On the app another and in the summary report yet another
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's beyond irritating huh

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here. When I click on "community" I see my 7 day steps as 91,498, but it says my average daily steps is 11,425. 91,498 divided by 7 is 13,071. And I never log any steps, so that isn't a factor. I've had my fitbit for almost a year now, and the number has almost never been correct. 

Best Answer

It's great to see you here @noramiriam. Can you tell me how many steps you take every day? Are they really more than 13,000? Keep in mind that the amount you are seeing is just an average of your daily steps. Now if you are doing more than 13,000 steps daily, please provide me with a screenshot of the discrepancy you are seeing.

Hope to hear from you soon. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit I think I figured out the problem. The 7 days steps updates instantly. But the average steps only updates once a day. So other than that one second a day, the average steps is not going to be 1/7 of the total 7 day steps. (You should make this clear somewhere though, because a lot of people seem to have this question.)... You'll see in the screenshots I just took that the first one is not 7 times the second one. 

IMG_0708.PNGIMG_0709.PNG

Best Answer

Screen shot of dashboardI just bought a used Fitbit charge 2 as well...it was factory reset but the seller and I joined Fitbit. I’ve only had it 3 days: day 1-9,000 steps, day 2-11,000 steps, day 3-13,000 steps. My daily average in the app says 5,000 steps. I look back at the log and there are days when I never owned the Fitbit with steps in them and then lots and lots of days with 0 steps. How do I make it so the daily average is just my actual days and not prior to when I bought it/joined?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could log the days with the false steps as driving. 

As for the factory reset there isn't a factory reset procedure. This did not happen. 

What the seller needed to do was one last sync to clear the stored data, then turn the Blaze off. 

Best Answer

My weekly average isn't calculating correctly. I tried to reset and change the days from 5 to 7, but no change in the stats. This is so frustrating!!!!

Best Answer

Where is this weekly average @Swallace3 are you looking at your Monday weekly email report, or your friends list? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a similar problem.  My weekly report indicates I have an average of 8052 steps a day.  This is as of when I began with my Blaze in 2016.  I purchased a Sense and began using it (with Premium) in December 2020.  Today i started using "Get Active" in Premium.  It indicates I have an average of 5800 steps.  Yesterday it indicated 6200, i guess because my battery was dead and it didn't track my steps most of the day.  That average difference tells me that the app is using a shorter time span for an average (maybe 2020 instead of 2016).  And yes, it is synced up.  I would like it to read correctly at 8000 steps a day.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Golftime please take todays steps and add them to the last six days. Then divide by 7. This is your daily average. 

IE: if today is Thursday add together the steps from last Friday through today. Now divide this number by 7. This is your daily average. 

I'm not sure what Get Active uses. 

Best Answer
0 Votes