Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to track a spin class?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, I have been using the spinning activity mode when doing my spin classes and the heart rate seems pretty accurate however the calories burned seems quite low.  It is a high intensity 50 minute class with weights added in on tracks also.  Does anyone know a way around this?  I have checked to make sure my weight is accurate, worn it three fingers above wrist bone, etc. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
25 REPLIES 25

If you feel the heart rate your Fitbit is recording is accurate, and you are confident that you have correctly entered your profile settings (gender, age, height, weight) then I think your calorie burn will be as accurate as it can be.  Many people over estimate the calories they burn from exercise.  An accurate heartrate will give you a very good estimation of effort.  Much better than anyone's guess of what you " ought" to have burned.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Melbell72 and @Julia_G It's great to have you here. 🙂  You can use several methods to track your exercise with your Blaze, I would recommend to test which of the following is the best for you:

SMARTTRACK 

MULTISPORT 

MANUALLY UPDATING THE EXERCISE

Let me know how it goes! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same issue and wondered if anyone resolved it.  I do an hour spin class and feel like I am dying to find out I am only burning 300 calories.  I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical for the same calorie burn.  This just doesn't seem right to me.

Best Answer

@KBiz wrote:

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same issue and wondered if anyone resolved it.  I do an hour spin class and feel like I am dying to find out I am only burning 300 calories.  I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical for the same calorie burn.  This just doesn't seem right to me.

Tighten the band a bit - the calorie burn will be based on the heart rate, and that reading can be inaccurate if the optical monitor isn't getting a good connection.

And whilst this is not particularly helpful, I've yet to get a properly accurate reading whilst on cycling sessions (regardless of tightness)

I've started doing some fairly intense watt bike sessions - 15 minutes (10k) - 272 calories in 15 minutes according to the bike, 232 according to my polar chest strap and 182 according to the fitbit - the latter is flat out wrong, but it didn't reliably track the heart rate, it was a gentle escalation from 100-175bpm, the blaze showed a peak of 185 at the wrong point in the session.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dorketh- so you would agree that the Fitbit is inaccurate? I would think your chest strap would be most accurate. It's really frustrating.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I switched my band to one that fits me better and compared to a chest strap and they were pretty darn close. I also did the update at around the same time so not sure if that is relevant but made a big difference for me.
Best Answer

I find the eliptical exercise setup to match pretty closely to what I get off the eliptical machine so maybe try that?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Accuracy depends on usage of your arms - if you're making major use of the forearms, no optical tracker will be particularly accurate.

I tend to use the blaze if I'm running, where it is as accurate as a chest strap.

But on the watt bike, when rowing or on the ski erg it tends to be a bit hit and miss. So on those exercises I also wear my polar watch and chest strap.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@KBiz are you manually starting and using the Spinning mode function that's found on the Blaze, and not depending on the auto detect tracking feature? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
As a matter of fact, I just found the Spining category tonight! But in the past, I was manually starting and stopping it using with the Workout or Bike categories.
Best Answer

Tell me more about the spinning category.  Where'd you find it at?  Is that working better for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes
I wear my Fitbit a bit higher on my arm during spin and I compare it to my Polar, h7heart rate strap which I use with the app as I like the colored heart rate zones to motivate me. It is pretty **ahem** accurate overall, usually w/in 15 calories of the strap.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the same boat. I work very hard and yet, I never exceed 400 calories for an hour of spin class. I think we tend to over-estimate how many calories we burn. I'm small (5'1'' / 105lbs) and 33. I think this is a pretty accurate estimate. My guy friend (28, 170lbs) burns close to 800 calories during the same class.

I spoke to my spin instructor who also wears a fitbit surge. She's the same height as me but has more muscle mass. She never goes over 500 calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have tried many ways and the 3 fingrs above the wrist snd tight is best. However, I find fitbit to be inaccurate for spin in terms of the burn. I have a blaze and switched over from a polar w/HR monitor. Tested the two devices vs each other as had doubts re the accuracy of a wrist based monitor. Was very pleased w/Fitbit Blaze in general as I found the blaze to be fairly accurate for everything BUT spin -- where it's uually 50 calories off. I don't find that to be a big deal.

As I like polar's app on my cell  (I keep it on my handlebars) which lets me see my burn as I ride,  I I wear my HRM for spin as well as my Blaze so this is not a one time thing. I see it all the time and yes, I trust a chest HR monitor more than a wrist one. However, we're just talking maybe 50 calories and I find fitbit to be accurate overall. Me using the chest HRM during spin is a motivation thing (the pretty colors on the app motivate me to the next level and I like seeing in on my phone in fromt of me vs on my wrist as i ride). It is not an accuracy thing as the difference is not a big deal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great to see you here @jsherman. If you are having problems with your heart rate reading, I recommend checking this post, where you will be able to see some things that might be affecting your heart rate reading and some tips to improve this feature. 

I hope this helps, see you around. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the best Fitbit device that will monitor spin classes for steps and calorie burn. The Charge HR is terrible for this and totally ineffective. I dont believe there is a spin app on this device. Do you have a device that does this more effectively that i can get?

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Great to see you here @jsherman. If you are having problems with your heart rate reading, I recommend checking this post, where you will be able to see some things that might be affecting your heart rate reading and some tips to improve this feature. 

I hope this helps, see you around. Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gymnut21 I would use the trackers multisport mode called spinning for the best calorie count. As for steps you might have to walk, since while spinning no steps are being taken. 

Http://help.fitbit.com/?q=multisport 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a pocket.. put the tracker in your shorts..  after an hour spin I would register about 8 plus thousand steps.. I have a flex and a flex 2....

Best Answer