Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I can see calories when creating an account?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I just bought my Fitbit and set up the account why is the dashboard already saying I burned 1400 calories 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Fitbit's calorie estimates include your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is what calories you burn just to stay alive (body temp, blood pumping, breathing, thinking, etc...). The day starts at midnight and so the calories you see are what it estimates you used up since midnight not counting any activity. BMR is based on your stats (gender, age, height, weight). You can check the accuracy of the estimate by going to various internet sites, just look for BMR calculators. Fitbit does not strip out BMR from your calories. If you are interested in calories burned for specific activities then you can either manually track it or use Fitbit's auto tracking.

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It's great to welcome you @LadyJ200285 and @wtksk8r thanks for stopping by.

As mentioned by our friend @wtksk8r, the calories that you are seeing are the result of your BMR. Your BMR is the rate at which you burn calories as a result of maintaining vital body functions. When you created your Fitbit profile, you entered your gender, age, height and weight. Your profile and tracker use that data to configure your daily BMR. This information usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day. 

Catch you later. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes