Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I add a Fitbit Blaze to a child account?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I want to set up a Blaze for my child. Why is the Ace the only device option I get? How do I bypass this and set the Blaze up?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Meld9

Short answer - you can't.

Only the Ace was designed for the younger child. The other devices automatically are for adult accounts. In the US, the age is 13 and in some EU countries, the age is 16.

There is no work around, unless you alter the age of the person who will be using the device, but that changes the heart rate, steps and other stats. No way a child has the stride or heart rate of an adult.

You didn't want to get the Ace for your child?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Meld9 and @Odyssey13 thanks for stopping by.

As mentioned by our friend here, Fitbit Ace is the only tracker Fitbit has for kids and, therefore, is the only one that a kid account will accept. The Blaze can be set up only on a regular account for anyone who meets the minimum age requirement in your country.

For more information check the help article How do I manage my Fitbit family account?.

Catch you later. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I think it's ridiculous that you can't add other fitbits. I've given my son my Blaze as a hand me down. We can't set it up for him. The only option would be to use an older age and this then exposes him to the Fitbit community full of adults. It is such an easy fix and unfair to restrict parents in this way. It also doesn't encourage sustainability as I am sure many parent may want to do this option for their children.

Best Answer

I agree - a thirteen year old does not want the same watch that he had as a seven year old.  I also wanted to pass my blaze on to my son without compromising the child security features of a child account - but I can’t? Why?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerthere are national (USA) and international laws at play. The same laws saying a child can't have a Nintendo online account is the same reason the child can't have an adult Fitbit account. There is no workaround. Fitbit has to abide by these laws. It's that simple.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I said I don’t want my child to have an adult Fitbit account… 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerI can understand that, but Fitbit and other companies are required to act in according to the laws set forth by the various countries. Not sure where you live, but in the USA, many states educational requirements include knowing how to use the internet while in elementary school. By the age of 13 or earlier, an email address is needed to get assignments from teachers or announcements from the school. It's just the world we live in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You may want to read up on COPPA

This act is at the root of the discussion 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What would be great would be if a Fitbit such as the blaze could ask you at reset, if you are setting it up for a child or an adult, then when you select ‘child’ it could automatically set it to a default that has the same functionality my child gets on his Fitbit Ace 2 - all he is really interested in is his steps, telling the time and setting silent alarms.

However now he is 12 he doesn't want to wear the Ace I bought him when he was 6 or 7. He and his friends want a more 'grown up' looking watch - which Fitbit don't have in their line up.

Probably why most kids in his class now wear Garmin.

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>
Best Answer