Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading from HR to Surge or Blaze

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Has anyone upgraded from the Charg
Best Answer
0 Votes
34 REPLIES 34
Has anyone upgraded from Charge HR to Surge? If so, are you thinking of trying the Blaze or are you happy with the Surge? If so, what?
Best Answer
0 Votes
If so, why?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use both the Surge and Charge HR. I switch of daily.

I like them both. I have not decided about the Blaze but I'm a gadget junkie so I will probably get it.

I like the GPS on the Surge though

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'll be swtiching from the Charge to the Blaze. I like the look of the Blaze and the fact it has a screen and is easier to use for tracking, GPS and I really like the band switching.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The blaze doesn't have gps but it does have connected gps but you have to have your smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's what I meant by GPS. Sorry I wasn't more clear. A lot better than mobilerun IMO.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've read that the iWatch will upgrade to GPS soon? Fitbit should have that capability soon.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I like the new screen on the Blaze also.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wendy, my daughter is training for her first marathon. She been using the Nike app on her smartphone to track her runs. Are you happy with the Surge tracking your runs?
Best Answer
0 Votes

The Apple watch may be getting a new model in March/April but it won't have GPS in it. Very small upgrades or Apple may decide to just release a major firmware for the watch and some new bands.

I wouldn't expect Apple Watch 2 until this Fall at the earliest really. Not sure if GPS is something Apple will add though.

The GPS for Blaze and Surge is pretty much the same but one requires a phone and the other is built in. It all depends on if you have/like having your phone with you. If you have your phone always on you than connected GPS should be fine. If you hate having your phone on runs than the Surge is better.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm surprised the Blaze doesn't have GPS. I like having less to carry on a run. Surge sounds like the best upgrade for that purpose, but I like the face of the Blaze.

I heard the same thing regarding the iWatch. No GPS until next fall or later. I have a client that has the iWatch. She is still maneuvering through all the possibilities for her lifestyle. Not sure I want to go that direction. Sticking with my Fitbit for now.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TammYoga I am not a runner but I do walk a lot. Yes Im happy with the GPS on the surge.

It does drain the device down a lot and I dont think it will last through a Marathon. I could be wrong  though.

It would have to be something she plays with

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TammYoga the Blaze is not designed to compete with the Surge, but to add to the Fitbit line. As for the iWatch it uses a connected Gps with the phone, the samr as the Blaze. Since the iWatch alao has wifi, connected screrns, etc the battery needs to be charged daily. 

@WendyByour not wrong, i have withoit charging gone on a 3 hour Gps tracked hike, after receiving a low battery notofacation.

With an almost full tackler i haven't found the limit yet but have gone 8 hours with GPS

Best Answer
0 Votes
Than a marathon is doable with surge. From what I have read you don't make it within 2- 3 1/2 hours you are disqualified. Yours ladts longer so its good
Community Council Member

Best Answer

Another thing to remember is that with the Blaze and connected GPS the phone is doing the work so it saves battery on the Blaze giving it longer life. Surge does all the work and drains the battery faster so that's another plus/minus for Blaze vs Surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TammYoga , I think your daughter would find one of the Fitbits with heartrate would be a great help for her marathon training -- I would say the Surge would be ideal for her.  I wish Fitbits had existed when I ran the London Marathon way back in 2001!  It would help her with keeping her on pace to completing the run in target time, and it should definitely last the distance for her.  With the latest update the battery is meant to last up to 10 hours with GPS turned on.

Most marathoners (outside the elite athletes) run with their phones on them so if she likes the Blaze that would work too.  But from a training perspective I would still say the Surge.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, Wendy! Good to know.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Really helpful, Rich. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, Julie and Matt. All good feedback.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes