Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 not tracking sleep stages

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had my charge2 for a week and it won’t track the deep sleep rem and the stages it to track when I’m sleeping.   What do I do to fix it. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
448 REPLIES 448

@Ladybridgewrote:

I was told to plug into charger. While fitbit is plugged in, hold button pressed for 5/6 seconds untik it vibrated and the symbol comes back on . That's all mine needed.

Thanks. I've already tried that suggestion a number of times with no results, except for a battery drain.

Charge 2 | Android Galaxy S7
Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have tried that and it did not work. I will give it another try.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think the problem is the Charge 2 is supposed to give you detailed sleep stages and for a lot of people this is not happening ! It’s not the end of the world but if you buy something and it says it does this or that then you expect it to do what it says !

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Holding the button in until it vibrates has not worked for me, nor have any of the other suggestions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! I'm really sorry to hear that you're still having issues getting your Sleep Stages. On the other hand, I'm happy for the ones who already received Sleep Stages as usual. 

Well, as it has been mentioned in this thread, there was a temporary outage for Sleep Stages that has been resolved. 

In order to receive your Sleep Stages on a consistent basis, there are certain requirements that must be met. Most importantly to have the tracker record Sleep Stages, it is to ensure you are getting enough heart rate variability. 

There are many things that can affect your heart rate pattern on any given night. If the tracker couldn't gather enough heart rate variability data, you will most likely receive the classic sleep log. Also, when your tracker doesn't record Sleep Stages, the app will provide an in-app notification explaining why.

As you all may know,  there are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of sleep stages:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your device from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your device higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your device to bed). For more information on automatic sleep tracking, see How do I track my sleep?
  • If you slept for less than 3 hours.
  • If your device’s battery is critically low.

Always be sure you guys are on the latest version of the Fitbit app, Android and iOS

For more information on sleep stages, see our blog posts REM, Light, Deep: How Much of Each Stage of Sleep Are You Getting? and Your Heart Rate Is the Key to Smarter Sleep Stages. Here’s Why. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Not tracking at all

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought my fitbit was working ok but not the case. Told me I had over 11 hours sleep last night. Didn' t got to bed till 01.30 and was up at 8.30? Anyone else had this? Really need it work and record sleep. Any ideas??? Think I may have to buy another make of tracker. Not been right since they did some updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Sleep Stages Are Back !!

ok this might seem a bit wierd but i shaved off the hairs on my tracker wrist - and right after that my sleep stages came back !

just up from the wrist bone i got rid of any hairs that might have confused those two green light emitters - also made sure the skin there was completely clean

also cleaned the rear of my tracker with a cotton bud - and i'm not wearing it tight either, the last 5 nights have worked fine after 10 or so nights without the stages

another thing i was going to try was covering my tracker with a tennis players sweat band to hold it in place and not let any light in or out - i don't need to right now but you might give it a try

get a friend or partner to use your tracker at night and check the difference

reinstall the app on your phone or try it on another phone or ipad/tablet

just don't give up !

hope this helps

st8

Best Answer

Hey guys! @Ladybridge and @Agrobman, I hope you are doin' great! Since you still getting issues with sleep stages, 'cause it seems that they are not being tracked, I'd like you to tell me if you have reviewed the information that my friend @MarreFitbit posted above, specially the scenarios or factors that could be affecting your sleep stages data. 

Hey my friend @st8_oftheHeart, thanks for the update! Sounds pretty awesome that your Charge 2 is tracking your sleep stages again. Thanks for sharing those tips, as they might work as a workaround for other users who are experiencing the same inconveniences. 

Keep me posted folks! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I tried shaving the wrist area last night  and still no sleep stages.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello Kotolski

pitty that didn't work - are you sure you removed everything ? you could try shaving abit higher up your wrist to get a position that fitbit recommend, if you do that wear a sweatband below the tracker to stop it tending to slide down your wrist, if still no joy wear a second sweatband over your tracker then you don't need the strap tight

you mentioned you wore both your partners and your tracker - but the point is to get your partner to try yours

did you ever receive sleep-stage results ? if not this may point to the possibility that the tracker cannot pick up your HRV

good luck _ st8

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve tried all the suggestions including editing on two Charge 2, nothing works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got one myself and its not showing my sleep "stages" particularly. I am wondering if its because of my heart rate being high? I am going to try updating tonight to see if that changes anything. I just got mine monday! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

st8_oftheHeart, I am not going to shave my wrists. That is ridiculous. I have tried your wrist band idea. At first I thought it worked, but for the last week it has not. So it is hit and miss and the wristband is just a coincidence. I do appreciate your efforts to help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Our charge 2 s suddenly started again. We tried every strategy to no avail and then overnight they just worked

Thanks for suggestions

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I got sleep stages on one night in February then nothing at all until last night, when suddenly there they were. Not showing any deep sleep though. Looking forward to seeing tonight’s stages- or not! 😁

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

maybe not so ridiculous if the hairs are impeding the light beams from the c2 - those are the heart rate sensors which measure Heart Rate Variability (HRV) the data from which is required to calculate the graphs for the sleep-states - only a very small skin area is needed about 15 mm2, if that doesn't resolve the problem they'll just grow back anyway - so . . nothing to lose

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with my Fitbit Charge 2 not tracking my sleep stages, I have tried your solutions and have only had this problem for the last week.  I have even tried a different strap and ordered a new one even though I am sure this isn't the problem!  Going to give it to my husband to wear tonight to see if he gets sleep tracked.  It tracks everything else perfectly.  I am frustrated as this is one of the main reasons I bought one and it has never let me down before.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine has been tracking sleep fine for last 10 days or so now. I tried all the suggested strategies to no avail and then suddenly it started again.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
It still has never worked for me since the day I bought it.
Best Answer
0 Votes