Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 screen has cracked

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello everyone just wondering if anyone has had issues with the screen, i woke up and saw mine has a big deep scratch and totally bizarre unknown how! Ive been careful and vigilant of it and most certain hasnt hit or touched anything as its on my wrist and i would have felt it. Ive been told its a weak screen but this is dissapointing only had it 4 weeks. Totally puts me of it now

Best Answer
588 REPLIES 588

If you had fully read my message you would have seen I had only purchased my Fitbit on 3/5/18. If you also read the complaints on the forum you will see this is a massive problem with the screen. So as I posted ‘not fit for purpose’ I suggest the name is changed to **ahem**bit!!!!

I told the so called Customer Service assistant I would take it together with the complaints published on their forum to Trading Standards and I would have done!

cant understand why they are not acting on this problem however it looks like all their products are rubbish if you look at the forums for the other trackers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well done!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit devices and our Customer Support Team @Ragamuffin01 @Jermiah. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

I saw you @Ragamuffin01 have been in touch with our Support Team. They've provided  you with some advise in regards to the inconvenience with your Charge 2. If you have any questions about what they recommended, please reply back to that email and they'll be more than glad to continue with the follow-up of your case.

If there any questions present, please let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Given the negative comments from everyone who tried and failed to get their Fitbit replaced under or out of warranty, I admit I haven't bothered. Mine was bought for me a year ago but the problem surfaced months ago. I love my Fitbit but think the product is inherently flawed. It is only the Charge 2 that has a problem with the screen cracking, or do the other models have the same problem? Either way, there ought to have been a product recall as there are too many of them failing... and just the ones we KNOW about. 

Pity 😞

Best Answer

Thanks for responding! Do any of the Fitbit products have gorilla glass or another kind of strengthened glass screen?  I'd really like to stick with Fitbit, but I've lost confidence in the Charge 2, whose functions I really love.

Best Answer

Whatever kind of glass is used  there is obviously a problem when worn in the sun/heat as so many people on the Community find their screens crack when abroad!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow--both times my Charge 2 screen cracked, I was abroad.  So is that a thing? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted a few minths ago.  I received the Charge 2 for Christmas and around 15 months later the screen cracked vertically, apparently from the inside.

I contacted fitbit support, first online, then by phone offering to send the device back as I believe it the crack was caused by a manufacturing defect.  Possibly by pressure from the charger, or thermal expansion by the lithium polymer battery. (Apple had this problem with their series one watches). I even offered to return the product ao the Fitbit engineers could examine it.

Both online and phone support offered the 25% discount as my Charge 2 was out of warranty.  I explained that was not the point as it is my belief that  there is a manufacuring defect with the device.  Frankly, they did not seem to care, and out of feustration I emailed the senior management team.

Within a few days, I was contacted by customer service and offered a one time replacement.  However, by that time I had made rhe decision to switch to a Samsung Gear Sport.  I am still undecided about the Samsung as the short battery life is a problem.

I was a customer for many years with Firbit, and have purchased many products over the years  More of the products than shiuld have had build quality issues. I wish the team would address this as I do like the products, the software and their integration.

For those of you who prefer to stick with Fitbit, and believe that your issue is caused by faulty manufacturing I would recommend that you be persistant and Fitbit will eventually do the right thing.  

For the Fitbit representatives, I would recommend acknowledging that sometimes the customer is right, sometimes your product is faulty, and it prevents alot of frustration if you do the right thing sooner.

Good Luck to all.

Best Answer

Hi Marie, I have had my Charge 2 exactly 7 weeks. Today I noticed a crack down the screen. I wear my fitbit all the time, just taking it off to shower. I have not banged the screen at all, though the weather has been unusually warm for the UK. After reading all the posts, I see that there is definitely an ongoing problem with the screens cracking. Please can you advise me the best course of action to take. I would expect this product to have a longer life than 7 weeks!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same issue of a crack from top to bottom of the screen happened to me last week while on vacation. I didn't bump the fitbit against anything, just noticed a crack at bedtime. I used the fitbit chat support, and after a half hour got an email to select either a free replacement or 50% off a new fitbit. I just had to upload a photo of the cracked screen and a copy of my receipt from Amazon. It all went smoothly, so I recommend trying that approach first. My replacement tracker  is suppressed to come in 5-7 business days after they ship, and I can keep my current one while I wait for it.

Best Answer
I did all of that and uploaded picture.  Still only offered 25%.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.k
Best Answer
0 Votes

My screen cracked too, 2 weeks before my husband’s screen cracked. Lasted about 1.5 years....but this was to replace our previously broken fitbits...which also died after 1.5 years.....ridiculous. Not made of money 😡🤬😡🤬😡

Best Answer

Why is it that most pwopkepfo years without cracked screens .while a few can only get 6 months? 

Best Answer

No clue but within the 1st year they told us we could have gotten a replacement but since we’re out of warranty then tough luck (basically)....sooo...2 fitbits each...in 3 years...it’s basically like $75-100 a year...PER PERSON which is just too much. Could have bought a Apple Watch at this price per year...with more apps and features...

Best Answer

Update on my problem - I took the 7 week old fitbit back to Currys PC World and they gave me a replacement, I was told this was a one off, at the managers discretion. I was advised to take out the 3 year extended warranty which will cover me for as many times as it needs replacing in the next 3 years, which I have done now.

Best Answer
Good advise thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey guys, I hope you are doin' great today! 

I appreciate your participation here in the Fitbit Community and please note that all of your comments and feedback are taking into consideration. 

That being said, I'd like to clarify some points. A cracked screen isn't a common issue on the Charge 2 or any other Fitbit tracker. Just like any other device, you have to take care of it, otherwise, it will get damage. A very good suggestion I have seen through may threads, is putting a piece of screen protector (like those used on phone screens) to cover the Charge 2 display. 

The Charge 2 screen material is a OLED display with high-grade hardened plastic screen. Now, the environmental conditions are the following: 

- Operating Temperature 14° to 113° F (-10° to 45° C)

- Non-operating Temperature -4° to 140° F (-20° to 60° C)

- Water Resistant Splash proof. Do not shower with the device or submerge it in water.

- Maximum Operating Altitude 30,000 feet (10,000 m)

So please take that info into consideration so your Charge 2 won't give you issues and it could last long enough. 

If you have further questions, keep me posted! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
Have you read all the feedback on your forum. I am very surprised that Fitbit have not taken more action to find out why so many people have had the same issue ie been on holiday and the screen has cracked. I was under the impression that the Fitbit Tracker was the best but wish I had read the issues on the Community prior to making the purchase. I think Fitbit will lose their share of the market place given the very negative responses given to Customers!

Sent from Enid's iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I joined this forum to see if others had experienced the inexplicable cracking that I had with my first device. This was over a year ago and, as commenters have noted, the numbers of people with this problem has just grown.

The type of crack, as replicated elsewhere, has to be a design flaw. It's useful for moderators to get involved - although it took a while. Not so much when they dismiss what is clearly a common issue. 

My second device (1st replaced by retailer) has functioned well and I have been protecting it with a cheap screen cover. I don't know if this has prevented a second event but it seems to be a good option if Fitbit will not take responsibility. 

Best Answer

Maybe we might get that, but for the record - we do not mistreat our Fitbit. We wear them as watches and my husband works out in his, and I don’t do any heavy working out...just walking and jogging. We are tired of spending money on something that breaks too frequently.

Best Answer