Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge GPS Inaccurate Tracking

I've been using my Charge 2 and whenever I use it with my phone, so that it gets GPS, it doesn't get the full distance -- even though it records the full time and the map picture is correct.

ie. I biked 30 miles, but the Charge says I only biked 10 miles. Since I pressed start and stop on the bike activity setting, it records the full amount of time and HR data, but just massively under mileage. It also did this running tonight -- I ran with my phone and it was fairly accurate for about 4 miles, but then when I picked up the pace, it somehow completely went haywire, and instead of recording 4 miles on the way back it said I only ran 2 on the way back, which obviously affects the pace (and I'm assuming the stride length calculations?).

I'd like to edit the activities so they're accurate. How do I do this? 

And/or how do I get it to stop being wrong?

Accepted Solution
22 REPLIES

I had the same problem, time and heart rate fine but massive difference in distance. I matched it to my google fit app which calculated the distance / map of my run much better. I can't see why there would be a difference as they are both using the same GPS data. The issue must be on the fitbit side rather than GPS. Interested to know the answer to your question and any fixes that may come up, otherwise its pretty worthless as an activity tracker.

Accepted Solution

I have the same problem as nwjsy. I use map my fitness and it gives me one distance which is farther than the distance the fitbit ap gives me. I also did a timed 1 mile run with a training group and it was short for that also.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

I am having the same issue with cycling.  7.5km ride registers as 1.76km.  GPS map of route is reasonable, duration okay.  

I was having similar issue when walking as well.  A reset of the device seemed to fix the issue for walking, problem with cycling remains.

Some kind of communication isssue?  My graphs for the trip appear as if there was some kind of issue: 

HR-Speed.jpg

I should be averaging somewhere around 20kph and the HR looks all wierd.

Accepted Solution

Same here . . . I have the Charge 2 and it has not once accurately tracked my activity.  The steps, hear rate info etc seems to be OK but I ran for 50 mins this morning and according to my fitbit I only went 2.13 miles . . .  I could go further walking backwards with my buggy!!

Any fixes as I am thinking of just taking mine back as it is pointless as an activity tracker!

When  called Fit bit yesterday they told me to just measure my stride length.  I only get accurate states when I take my phone and do 'test' walks round our cul-de-sac . . .!

Accepted Solution
There are other discussions around the same issue on the forum. It's a bug that Fitbit is working on fixing and will have a software update out soon. So I'm told.
Accepted Solution

I have emailed fit bit and they keep telling me it is because I didn't set my running and walking stride lengths . . . have done them both now so we will see!

Thank you Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution
0 Votes
Accepted Solution
0 Votes

Had a read - got a bit technical but hte gist seems to be there is an issue with the Charge 2 . . . am thinking of swapping mine for a blaze or surge - does anyone know if there have been similar issues with those?

Accepted Solution
0 Votes
I have a blaze and love it. Have not had these issues with my blaze. If you like the charge 2 though. You may consider waiting a week or two to see if the software update fixes the bug.
Accepted Solution
0 Votes
I want to buy the charge 2 for my wife but waiting for the fix first...
Accepted Solution
0 Votes
My tracking was off on my Charge as I ran a half marathon and it only tracked 9 miles! Thought getting the Charge 2 would bring about better tracking, but on my 4 mile run this morning it only tracked 2.8 miles and the connected GPS wasn't working. I've adjusted stride length and am still not getting accurate step counts.
Accepted Solution
0 Votes

Don't waste your time (or money) with the Blaze.  Its Connected GPS doesn't work either.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

@twhh would we be able to help you get the Blaze and GPS working, we will want to know the phone. I haven't had problems with the latest android update, the one before I could not keep connected to the phone. fitbit 2.73 Google 2.8 fitbit and Google are well within 0.1

Screenshot_2016-11-02-16-00-19.pngScreenshot_2016-11-02-16-13-41.png

RICH | NJ, USA

Ionic, Alta 2, flex 2-Charge 2-Blaze-Surge-One, Retired-Charge HR-Zip-Charge-One-Ultra-Recalled Force/ GALAXY S8, Linux through Galileo Project

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

@GKrun the thread you point to is about a problem in Sept which is before the current Charge 2 firmware that was released October 5.

I find tracking very accurate with the latest app and firmware. Yhr previous app not to good. 

RICH | NJ, USA

Ionic, Alta 2, flex 2-Charge 2-Blaze-Surge-One, Retired-Charge HR-Zip-Charge-One-Ultra-Recalled Force/ GALAXY S8, Linux through Galileo Project

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

Update on my problem post the last firware update:

Well, for walking the issue seems to be resolved.  I did a test walk and it registered the distance correctly.

Cycling is still problematic.  Distances are still WAY off.  I haven't tried to look at the data or anything, but I'd swear it's using "steps" registered during the ride or something.

I did a ~20km ride on the 11th of Oct:

20km?  No!  2km!!

Very annoying.  Smiley Indifferent

Same kind of weirdness in the graphs.

Jaggy graphs

This morning's 7.5km ride?  No.  1.15km.

7.5km?  No!!  1.15km.

FYI, I have an HTC One M9.  Please feel free to trawl through my activity log data if it helps to resolve the issue, or to ask me to log more activties.  

I've been holding off on upgrading my subscription as I have to use some other app for this functionality.  I'd rather have all my eggs in one basket, if possible, but I'm not paying premium membership for two largely similar sites.

Accepted Solution

Just got my Charge 2 for xmas.  Biking is my main aerobic exercise...thought I had it figured out...the 1st 2 days it tracked time and mileage to within 1/10th of my phone app, but last 2 days the mileage has been way off...like 30-50%??  Looks like others are experiencing similar issues and no fixes??  I find it strange that it was accurate 2 times and inaccurate the last 2 times.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes
I gave up with mine and took it back - shop said they had had loads back.
I now have the Fitbit blaze and have had no problems Smiley Happy

*_____*

*Kind regards*

*Amanda Johnson*

*Owner & Director*
Elsie's Attic
www.elsiesattic.co.uk
We live like this - Lifestlye inspo from the attic. Check out the latest
trends from Elsie's Attic and look great whatever the event.

*Get social with us on Facebook*
*Tel : 0115 808 6880*
Accepted Solution
0 Votes

I am also having trouble getting correct GPS readings when tracking a walk/run with the charge 2. If, however, I track the run via the app, I get correct readings. Hope Fitbit solves this soon!

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

I'm experiencing a similar issue. The GPS map appears to document the actual walk distance, but the summary shows a much shorter distance? So was it .36 miles or 1.14? Why is there a difference in the two numbers?

See attached... fit copy.jpeg

Accepted Solution