Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Connected Run - Wrong distance and wrong pace!!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know this was an issue couple of months ago, but now this issue seems to be re-surfaced (at least for me). While running I'm seeing that my pace is off (too high) even though I kept same pace. In order to be sure I just ran on an exactly 1km track for 6 laps and also recorded the run on Nike+ Run (both apps use GPS). 

My fitbit app is v2.71 (2193273) on Android One Plus 5.

On this run Nike+ recorded correctly a distance of 6.07kms while Fitbit (Charge 2 connected to phone) 5.77kms!!! This is hugely annoying not just because my Charge2 is completely useless but all since my data is wrong, screwing up other metrics.

I am so disappointed with the current support and the incapability of getting something like this correct in over 6 months! (I'm being generous since found posts from 2 years ago reporting same issue).

Fix this ASAP! 

Fitbit.jpgNike+.jpg

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

@AlessFitbit or somebody else from Fitbit: care to reply?

Best Answer

At least your connected GPS is working.  This thing started getting buggy at the last firmware update, and hasn't been the same since.  Generally one expects that things will get better with updates, however the fitbit seems to be getting worse.

Best Answer

They knew about this issue at least since February! Measuring the correct distance is absolutely critical for a fitness device so they should treat this as a high priority issue! Which they are not. They have no incentive to fix this - I have already gave them my money. 

Best Answer

Hi! I’m actually searching for information on how to fix this problem. My Fitbit tracks everything but I noticed when I’m road riding the distance is behind about 2 miles or so. I know the distance is accurate when tracked with Map Amy Fitness because I use mike markers to track my rides. I called support last night (because I’m very new to fitbit) and they said to sync the two accounts. I think I’ve done that correctly but it seems that’s still not the best answer, just sort of the only answer they’ve got. Customer service was lovely to chat with but I wish these two apps worked better together or that Fitbit would just simply track my rides. That would be preferable. Ive got the battery drain because I’m running so many apps just to track what I really wish Fitbit would track. Since I’m so new I don’t know if there’s a way to raise a flag on this issue and let them know we’d really like to see it fixed. Does anyone know if there’s a way to do that other than calling support? 

Best Answer

In theory you can track a ride with GPS recordings - actually it worked fine until late last year (You need to make sure to select a "GPS activity" like hike, bike or running.

However, since February this year, GPS readings are not accurate and will record a distance which is less than the one traveled - in some cases even by 1km! 

Yes Fitbit knows about this issue but there are no fixes - If you use fitbit for running, switch to Nike+ - otherwise you'll get wrong pace readings.

Best Answer

This has been happening to me too, I think since about February. I started to notice my pace was getting slower, even when it felt like I was improving. When I check my routes on Google Maps - or using another tracking app while running (RunGo) - Fitbit seems to be underestimating the distance I've run - sometimes massively. I ran with a friend with a GPS watch the other day and her watch thought we'd run 8.5km, my Fitbit 7.5km. Sometimes I suspect it's because I lose GPS signal and Fitbit just draws a straight line between the two points it does have. I've noticed discrepancies in the maps that my Charge 2 generates - this is the map from the run I did with my friend and it completely fails to show that we started the run by doing a circuit of the park!

Map of run

Other times it doesn't seem to have started tracking until a good way into the run. 

However, sometimes the map looks right - I did a half marathon yesterday and it seemed to track the accurately, but still only thought I'd run 20k.

This has really messed with my training - it's been incredibly discouraging to see my pace getting slower. Also, my 'fitness score' has dropped from 50 to 41 over the course of these three months! 

I reported the discrepancy with RunGo to Fitbit but they refused to engage since it's not one of their 'supported apps' but I am now sure something isn't right with my Charge 2's tracking. Input from Fitbit would be very much appreciated! 

Best Answer

I totally understand what you're saying. You go for a run, feel good, have a look at your watch and see a 5'45"/km pace!! That really kills motivation. At first I thought I was going slow but later I noticed that the distance being recorded is less than the actual - hence the slower pace.

Unfortunately it doesn't look Fitbit will resolve this issue any time soon. 

One other thing that as of recently is happening, every 3-4 days I would have to restart my mobile because the Fitbit App would say "Tracker not found". Switching off and back on Bluetooth doesn't do anything. Restart mobile and would work again - until it happens again.

Someone from Fitbit, can you acknowledge and at least give an estimate when this issue will be resolved once-and-for-all?

@AlessFitbit@MarreFitbit@HeydyF

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s happening to me too. I’m so dissapointed i got this watch and paid money for something that’s not accurate. I’m back to Strava which is accurate and free. Seems like Fitbit don’t care about their **ahem** product 

Best Answer

It has been reported by many people but Fitbit is not replying and not directly acknowledging this problem. Of course that means no ETAs are given. They are trying not to give exposure to this problem. 

Unfortunately people bought the Charge2 because it could accurately track your exercise. The fact they are not publicly admitting this flaw, and give an ETA for a fix, shows what they think of their clients. 

And I have the original Charge HR and Alta as well. I'm not just a random guy complaining. 

Best Answer

This has been happening to me too, although I've only had mine for a few days but each mile I run, my FitBit is off anywhere from 0.1-0.3 miles. I also have mine set to give me voice cues every 0.5 miles, which hasn't been happening at all. Very frustrating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another day, no answers/replies from Fitbit. Will keep bumping this thread up until someone from Fitbit acknowledges and gives an ETA for a fix.

Best Answer

Bumping up again....issue still there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry @Gul156 you may bump all you want, but you are in the community group, where the community of fitbit users c planter their time to help their fellow county members our. 

Fitbit employed in general do not monitor these posts. 

Of course you could flag a moderator. but it would be better to reach out and contact support. 

Best Answer

I understand what you mean but I don't agree not flagging any long term bugs which makes the product un-usable! People need to know what level of support they are getting from Fitbit on such a critical issue - a Fitness tracker that cannot track distance has a fundamental flaw. 

Of course I talked with support - they never gave an ETA. 

If I (and others) don't write here, people wouldn't know of the problem. Other threads are reporting similar problem blaming the stride length BUT the root cause is the GPS link not being accurate.

People than can take their own decisions.

Best Answer

The root cause is not that the GPS repoeted distance is inaccurate. It has been determined through testing that Fitbit does not even look at the gps for distance. With the Charge 2 for walk, run, hike, and with the Blaze for walk and hike. 

Fitbit uses the GPS for distance and it is accurate, with mobile track, and running with the Blaze, and Versa. Also with the Ionic and Surge. 

Simply bringing to the attention of the Fitbit users of a problem, does not mean thst the Fitbit developers will notice.they might but rarely have I seen a response. We have the feature suggestion board and customer service for this .

Best Answer

Hi I'm new to all this. Used my Versa for a 10km fun run and at the end told me I'd run 6.6km.  Support told me its a problem with my stride?  Doesn't seem right to me 'cause GPS is meant to track the distance isn't it? 

Seems there are so many people with the same problem and Fitbit are doing nothing about it. I agree what about a response or acknowledgement from them on these forums.   I will be returning my Fitbit to place of purchase based on everything I'm reading.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 2 is having the same issues for the last few months

Best Answer

Still happens to me! Very frustrating! On avg, FitBit shows over 10% shorter distance than what is accurate. I understand imperfection/variance based on pedometer settings, but when I’m doing an outdoor run carrying my cell phone, shouldn’t it be easy enough to have the GPS data from the phone override/correct the estimate based on the pedometer/stride length data on the Fitbit? Brutal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still happens to me! Very frustrating! On avg, FitBit shows over 10% shorter distance than what is accurate. I understand imperfection/variance based on pedometer settings, but when I’m doing an outdoor run carrying my cell phone, shouldn’t it be easy enough to have the GPS data from the phone override/correct the estimate based on the pedometer/stride length data on the Fitbit? Brutal.

Best Answer
0 Votes