Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my location need to be on to sync.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is my second charge hr. I updated less than 3 months ago and I want to know why  does my location need to be on to sync?. I have never had to have it on before to sync until bout 2 weeks ago. I am very unhappy bout this. If it does have to be on all the time to sync than I have wasted money on something that I can't use. 

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118

@AprilD wrote:

This is my second charge hr. I updated less than 3 months ago and I want to know why  does my location need to be on to sync?. I have never had to have it on before to sync until bout 2 weeks ago. I am very unhappy bout this. If it does have to be on all the time to sync than I have wasted money on something that I can't use. 

If you have an Android device, it's a Google requirement to have location on when using Bluetooth. Fitbit has no choice but to require location be turned on.

Gary D.| Feeding Hills, MA MBG PE

Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire 2, Charge 4, Charge 5, Pixel Watch 2

Best Answer

If wanting this requirement removed (so fitbit can work together with google to not need GPS turned on to sync..).. or feel free contacting google:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/about/company/facts/locations/index.html

Feel free to add your suggestions to the 'Feature Requests' Sub Forum, where users can vote, add comments,.. if there's a certain interest then there's a chance the developers pick it up and it'll be developed.

Important to prevent duplicates Search if the idea already has been suggested and add your vote / comment! Smiley Wink

Feature Suggestions

Click / Tap here to add new suggestion

Best Answer

PLease aldo remember that this change was made by Google for the protection of the data on your phone.

The reason you now need location on is because your now running Marshmallow or greater. It has nothing to do with Fitbit, who is simply relaying the message.

Best Answer

I am not happy either with the fact that Google & Fitbit now MUST have a location to sync.  This is an invasion of personal privacy and I too no longer use the Fitbit (which by the way is new). Google have been collecting data for years, this is a step too far. Not a happy customer and as long as people who purchase any fitbit products know their obligations at time of purchase then this is fine, as then it becomes a choice. Currently it's a forced option with no choice.

Best Answer

This really ticked me off to and I knew fitbit was lying because all of my other bluetooth devices didn't need the location turned on. I managed to copy a old version of fitbit (version 2.6.2) to my phone with samsung smart switch and the old version worked just fine with out the location turned on. I had the gps turned off for the phone and I went to settings>app>fitbit and made sure to turn off all the permissions there and I don't have a problem with the app anymore. So unless some one can explain to me how that is a google or android problem it seems clear to me that fitbit is lying.

Best Answer
Fitbit are owned by Google... Big Brother is watching you!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

@whitefeather700, it seems your confused about location services and GPS.

GPS will only be turned on when an app requests it.

Having location services turned on, does not turn on GPS

There are three levels of location accuracy aith android phones, GPS only mode is tye least accurate. 

As for needing location service on, this is only needed when the app needs the bluetooth IP address of the device.

Do a more extensive search and you will find other tracker companies also need location services turned in.

It is all explaned on the Android developers site

So why is this so?

It was discovered an open door, think major security problem, in the Bluetooth protocol of Android 5. Androids fix was made this needed.

Use the tools found in your phones settings, do a sync with location services on, you will see that your phones location was never requested.

My feeling is that since it makes my phone way more secure, im ok with it. Besides turning location services off does not save battery, and becomez a hassle when i need GPS.

Best Answer

its not solely a choice made by google. if not other fitness trackers wouldn't sync without location. but there are other trackers that do.  polar360 garmin and a few others all sync with bluetooth only and no location.

If you have an Android device, it's a Google requirement to have location on when using Bluetooth. Fitbit has no choice but to require location be turned on.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

PLease aldo remember that this change was made by Google for the protection of the data on your phone.

The reason you now need location on is because your now running Marshmallow or greater. It has nothing to do with Fitbit, who is simply relaying the message.

its not solely a choice made by google. if not other fitness trackers wouldn't sync without location. but there are other trackers that do.  polar360 garmin and a few others all sync with bluetooth only and no location.

Best Answer

can you please let me know how u got this older version. I'm going on deployment and this would help tremendously 

@whitefeather700 wrote:

This really ticked me off to and I knew fitbit was lying because all of my other bluetooth devices didn't need the location turned on. I managed to copy a old version of fitbit (version 2.6.2) to my phone with samsung smart switch and the old version worked just fine with out the location turned on. I had the gps turned off for the phone and I went to settings>app>fitbit and made sure to turn off all the permissions there and I don't have a problem with the app anymore. So unless some one can explain to me how that is a google or android problem it seems clear to me that fitbit is lying.

Best Answer

Yes there are a few companies that do not need to have location turned on, thise are the companies that do not ask for the trackers IP.

According to Garmen support Location Services are required to be turned on.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/JSE6dDSzTc5zoVYU5lRcW5

As for an older version of Android, anything before 6 will work, but then you will be opening yourself up to the new Blueborn exploit.

Best Answer

If you have an Android device, it's a Google requirement to have location on when using          
Bluetooth. Fitbit has no choice but to require location be turned on.

That's a bold faced lie.  Bluetooth absolutely does not require location.

Best Answer

@amarurecorwrote:

@Rich_Lauewrote:

It was discovered an open door, think major security problem, in the Bluetooth protocol of Android 5. Androids fix was made this needed.

Your English is abysmal.  You have absolutely no business telling someone they're confused about anything if your command of the language is so poor.

Also- you're straight up lying.  You've already been proven wrong about other tracker companies, but you're wrong about Location services not draining your battery as well.

https://www.androidauthority.com/tasker-location-services-532624/

@amarurecor

Sorry, you're the one who's wrong.  It is not a Fitbit requirement, it is Google's.  If it was Fitbit, then Apple devices would also have the requirement.

If you don't like the answer, buy something else, or get an iPhone.

And your comments in this thread are demeaning to users who are trying to help, there is no need to get nasty. If you don't want to do the research, then that's up to you, but many people have already tried to explain the reason behind the location services requirement.  If you choose to not believe them, then that's up to you, but posting derogatory comments isn't going to change anything, and will likely get you banned from posting.

Best Answer

Why not do your own research @gdio53 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33045581/location-needs-to-be-enabled-for-bluetooth-low-energy-s...Screenshot_20180327-070144.png

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41716452/why-location-permission-are-required-for-ble-scan-in-an...

Yes Androids change does affect other companies

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/garmin-connect-mobile-application/garmin-connect-mobile-...

Why is it only Android Marshmellow and above that requires location services to be on? Why is their no record under location services of Fitbit or the Operating System requesting the phones location durringsa sync of the Fitbit? 

Why does Fitbit, Garmon. Tom Tom and others require location services to be on? 

This is not about managing battery life, as your link is about, but about an android app that is requesting the Bluetooth MAC of a device. 

If your interested in which calls require location services 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41716452/why-location-permission-are-required-for-ble-scan-in-an...

Best Answer

Sorry for the late response. I knew some one who doesn't update unless needed so they had the old version and i was able to transfer it with Samsung program 

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Rich_Lauewrote:

Why not do your own research @gdio53 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33045581/location-needs-to-be-enabled-for-bluetooth-low-energy-s...Screenshot_20180327-070144.png

Yes Androids change does affect other companies

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/garmin-connect-mobile-application/garmin-connect-mobile-...

Why is it only Android Marshmellow and above that requires location services to be on? Why is their no record under location services of Fitbit or the Operating System requesting the phones location durringsa sync of the Fitbit? 

Why does Fitbit, Garmon. Tom Tom and others require location services to be on? 

This is not about managing battery life, as your link is about, but about an android app that is requesting the Bluetooth MAC of a device. 

If your interested in which calls require location services 

@Rich_Laue

I think you may have mis-read my post, I have done the research and was agreeing with you on the location services requirement.

My reply was directed at @amarurecor

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry my slip of choosing name in drop-down @gdio53

Best Answer

Exactly, nothing else on my phone requires location to be on 🤔🤔

The app itself on my phone refused to do anything, never sent a notification nothing just stopped working and its only after i reinstalled and logged in it popped up that location has to be on.....really?? 🤔🤔 i have all my locations off on everything else  so yes fitbit are liars 

Best Answer

@SNew25 wrote:

Exactly, nothing else on my phone requires location to be on 🤔🤔

The app itself on my phone refused to do anything, never sent a notification nothing just stopped working and its only after i reinstalled and logged in it popped up that location has to be on.....really?? 🤔🤔 i have all my locations off on everything else  so yes fitbit are liars 

Sorry @SNew25 let's look at

StackoSterflow 

Location needs to be enabled for Bluetooth Low Energy Scanning on Android 6.0

Android forums

Bluetooth Pairing Requires Location

Stack exchanh

Why do I need to turn on location services to pair with a Bluetooth device?

Plus the grpup that developed Android

The following post on the Garmin forum explaonsewhy Garmon now requires locatiomlsetvicessto be turned on. 

Please remember that this only affects Bluetooth Low Energy devices when an app requires the MAC address of the Bluetooth device .
Best Answer