Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Charge 2 not come with a USB dongle?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

why in the hell does this not come with a dongle ? how frustrating to buy this product and begin to set it up ...only to find ..oh wait .....there is no dongle.?   wtf are you thinking .....so now how do i set it up ...this is my first purchase ..and with stupid thinking on fitbits part they don't ship all the hardware to set the watch up...?... this is so stupid ...i almost threw this piece of crap in garbage .....i would have if it didnt cost me 200 bucks ....Not happy .......

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
211 REPLIES 211

Am returning this crappy product.  Previously had a surge --- also a crappy (expensive) product.  GPS was terrible and strap broke after 14 months --- making the watch useless.  Going back to Garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue.  Fair enough if it works with Bluetooth, but the setup insists on plug in dongle, but no option to skip.  Why? Fitbit itself insists on using the website link, which says plug in the dongle.  NO mention of setting up bluetooth.  Very frustrating.

Best Answer

@floyd62,

Welcome to the community!

This really depends on which OS you're running.  You should only need the dongle if you're running an older OS, which is to say, Windows versions less than 10.

If that's the case, just contact support.  They seem to more than willing to send them out to folks.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks PureEvil (5K Racer)

Yes we still run Windows 7 as a more stable environment.

The packaging is perhaps trying to be a 'bit too cute', with minimal documentation, just saying to go to the Web Site for setup, and no hint of the issues you may face.

If it wasn't for that misleading documentation, i may have begun on the phone, and had no issues.

Regards

floyd62
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Floyd's you can always look below and click on the link to Fitbits interactive help site, from there you user manual may also be downloaded. 

Best Answer
Thanks Rich_Laue. That will be useful.

Cheers, Floy62
Best Answer
0 Votes

@floyd62,

While I can see how someone may come to the conclusion of the packaging trying to be 'bit too cute', I think there's a far more practical reason for Fitbit to refer to the online documentation instead of including it in the package...  Simply put, due to Fitbit adding new features, it'd change far too frequently.

For instance, since I've gotten my Fitbit One (over 3.5 years ago), they've added:

• Multiple Tracker support.
  • Fitbit App for Windows Phones.
  • Fitbit App for Windows 10, with the ability to sync through just Bluetooth...  A departure from Fitbit Connect.
  • Sleep Stages.
  • Etc.

Had they included an updated manual with the tracker and that tracker sat in the shelf at the store for 2-3 months before you bought it, the manual would've already been outdated by the time you opened the packaging.

Just my 2¢.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer
Hi @PureEvil

I agree re the documentation.

My reference to 'too cute' was just the fact it had a small bit of paper saying go straight to the setup online, while not making it clear that only worked with Windows 10. I use Windows 7 as my work policy.

For me, and the others on this forum that had the same issue, you are presented with a pop-up screen that says 'plug-in dongle', and there is no option on the screen to do anything else, it is waiting for the dongle, no cancel button, nothing. That is all that i was meaning. Once I googled this forum and realised it was not just me that was missing the dongle, I used the phone for the setup. So I thank this forum for making me aware it was a 'wider' issue.

Happy Fitbitting All
Best Answer

This is unacceptable. 

To have sold this product without the Dongle or at the very least have a warning on the box that it not included.

I deeply regret having purchased this product.

Best Answer

@floyd62,

That's a fair assessment.  Fitbit Connect can at least prompt you that if you didn't get a dongle with your device, you may contact support for one.

@Hankenstien,

Welcome to the community!

Based on reading the forums:

• The vast majority of folks are syncing with their smartphones.
  • All current versions of the PC OS's will sync without a dongle (I believe Fitbit Connect for the Mac syncs through just Bluetooth).
  • If you're running an older version of the OS (like Windows 7), you can contact support and they seem to be sending them out to folks who ask.

Keep in mind that the dongle is $19.95 in the store.  Once you consider that most folks don't need it, I'd rather they don't include it in the box (and ship it to you if you need it) and keep the price of the device down by a few dollars.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

It doesnt matter.

If someone pays for the product it should be included or AT LEAST!!! have a check mark box while purchasing to request one to come with it if you need it.

Why should someone pay so much money only to contact support then wait another week or two before being able to use the product. Had my bfs mom not had spare dongles we would have returned it and used another brand of tracker. Like i said in my post a lot of people dont see the need to upgrade, my samsung galaxy S3 works perfectly fine so im not upgrading, it wont sync with the new fitbits. And If someone doesnt like windows 10 then they dont and wont use it. A lot of people prefer the old windows 7, or like myself prefer 8. I downloaded 10 and my computer crashed non stop until i reprogrammd it to go back to 8.

and thats 19.99 for us to BUY it. lmfao. making it doesn't cost nearly that much. 

bottom line they need to have the option to request one when checking out explaining you need a certain level of upgraded smart phone or windows 10 to use them, and if you dont then you need to request a dongle.

When this fitbit breaks if they dont offer that im probably switching to a different brand because of teh dongle issue and nothing else. i love my fitbit but im not buying a new phone just for a fitness product that already cost almost 200 or upgrading my computer and having it crash non stop.

Best Answer

@nyxela,

It's really a matter of perspective, including something in the box that the vast majority of folks don't need is wasteful, an irritant, and even creates confusion.  I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I never claimed that $19.95 is what it costs them to make, I understand the COGs is significantly smaller, but let's say that it costs them $3 to make...  $3 across 1M devices sold is $3M dollars, when maybe 1% of the population still needs one?  And that's not even taking into account that they can design the packaging to be smaller, each package will weight less (so it saves on shipping costs), etc.

Allow me to frame it differently, do you recognize this device?

fitbit-usb-ps2-dongle.JPG

It is a USB to PS2 dongle for a mouse.  USB was introduced to computers in 1996, before that we plugged our mice and keyboards to our computers using a PS2 port...  Yet for years later, when you bought a USB mouse, you got one of these.  It allowed you to plug in your USB mouse to a computer without a USB port.  You no longer get these when you buy a USB mouse.

If we were to use your logic, even on the slight, non-zero, remote possibility that someone out there may still be using a computer with a PS2 port (which they don't make anymore), all USB mouse manufacturers should continue to include one in the box (or tell you that you may need an adapter, and request one if you need it).

I generally agree with what Fitbit is doing, don't include something that will drive up their costs in production, distribution, and support; especially when you consider that driving their costs down would drive down the cost of the product.  The reasoning is sound.  The only thing in question is whether or not there are still enough people on earlier versions of Windows (which you can't get anymore) to warrant continuing to ship the dongle with their trackers.

When your Fitbit breaks (and mine has been going for 3.5 years) so say in 2020, Windows 7 (released in 2009) will be eleven years old...  Can you even name any other electronic device in your home that is that old?  I think most people would've upgraded by then and won't need the dongle.

Just my 2¢.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes
regardless having a check box would be nice no?
why should we buy something then have to wait a few weeks?
and after watching the last few windows updates, some people probably will
still be on windows 7, or 8 because its what they like.
a lot of ppl savvy with computers love 7 and hate 8 and 10 and refuse to
use them
Best Answer

Wow, thanks for telling this... I too still use 8.1 and refused to use the forced 10 version.

My laptop also uses the dongle that came with my One and I was getting intrested in the Charge 2 or Alta HR for the HR function... Smiley Frustrated

Somewhere I even think I read that both simply won't work with less than W10 and if so, I'll stay with my One (which actually still functions well enough, I just was daubting about replacing it for the HR function)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nyxela,

A few weeks?!  I think you are overestimating how long it'd take Fitbit to get you that dongle.

I understand that in a perfect world, you'd get the dongle with the tracker... but in this case, I believe that, again, the vast majority of people simply sync with their smartphones and on newer computers it syncs just fine without the dongle... and from other people's accounts, they'll simply send one out to you for the asking.  I think this is a reasonable compromise and you don't.  So I guess we can just agree to disagree.

For whatever it's worth, the specs for the Charge 2 don't even list Windows 7 as an option to sync:

• Syncing requires Bluetooth LE and Internet connection. Windows 10 computers that do not have Bluetooth LE will need a wireless sync dongle in order to sync.
  • Syncs with Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, Android 4.3 and later, and Windows 10 devices.

Yes, it happens to work on Windows 7 with the dongle, much like the specified for Windows 10 computers without Bluetooth LE.  I'm not sure if this quite qualifies as a check box to you, but it reads pretty plainly to me.

You are free to feel however you like about Windows 10, much like you may prefer CRT televisions over flat screen televisions.  That's not going to change the fact that you can't buy a CRT television anymore, much like you can't buy a Windows 7 computer anymore.  Or to put it differently, how long do you think Fitbit should continue to support a device that you can't even buy anymore (independent of how 'a lot of ppl savvy with computers' may feel)?

@kimopo,

Feel free to get the Charge 2 or Alta HR; they'll continue to work.  Whoever told you that they won't work with Windows 7 is misinformed.  On Windows 7, you'll just continue to use Fitbit Connect and it supports both the Charge 2 and the Alta HR:

fitbit-connect-new-device.jpg

If you want to confirm, just run Fitbit Connect on your computer, click on "Set Up a New Fitbit Device" and you'll see what's available.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

Why do you assume we use older computers? Some people know how to reprogram new laptops with older versions... lol

And why are you repeating yourself and not staying on topic.

If they had a box to check mark just leave it blank if you can use one no dongle. Same as it is now.

In my last post I said maybe not send them out automaticly but to have a box to check markwhen you are checking out to receive a dongle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nyxela,

Okay, sure, let's stay on topic...  So what you're suggesting is that if you should pick up a Charge 2, and take it to the cashier.  There should be a note on the packaging that says, "If you're running a version of Windows earlier than Windows 10, or you don't have Bluetooth LE, you will need a USB dongle".  Then the cashier should ask you, "Do you want a USB dongle?", and simply put one in the bag with you when you check out.  Simple, right?

Simple?

Retailers and products company negotiate shelf space, it's normally measured in inches.  Fitbit lists 11 authorized retailers on their website, so in addition to negotiating shelf space with all these retailers, Fitbit tells them, "Oh, some of your customers will also need a USB dongle.  You should make it available to them, we'll just give some to you."  So only a small fraction of customers will need a dongle, how many should Fitbit give each store if they ship them 100 Charge 2?  What number is too low and what number is too high?

Oh, but retailers need to manage everything they get into their inventory.  So all these 'free' USB dongles will need to be entered into their computer systems.  Should they (the retailers) be the ones to manage the inventory for these 'free' items when they're running low, so should Fitbit simply ship it to them and allow them to manage it themselves?

Oh, and let's not forget having to reprogram their check-out registers that these 'free' USB dongles are only free with certain products.  I mean, you shouldn't be able to go to Best Buy, buy a pack of AA batteries and walk out with a Fitbit USB dongle, right?  And it's only certain Fitbit products (Surge and One already come with USB dongles) and only if the customer wants one.  Sure, let's get all these retailers to pay their programmers to adjust the software on the check-out registers to account for this.

Next, let's discuss the logistics of having Fitbit USB dongles available on all check-out registers.  So that entire array of 15 or so registers at stores like Target or Walmart, they all now need a stash of these dongles or at very least the ability to call someone (and hold up the line) to fetch one for them.

Oh, but that's not all...  All those friendly cashiers will need to be trained to ask you, "Do you want a USB Dongle?" and then have an informed answer when the customer responds with, "Do I need one?"  So, those teenage cashiers at Target?  They'll need to be trained.  Those cosmetic cashiers at Macy's (where you can still checkout), they'll need to be trained too.

But let's say that you got it as a present from a loved one, and when asked, they remembered, "Oh, so and so uses a Samsung Galaxy, surely that must work".  They do not get a USB dongle with the tracker.  You stated that it didn't sync with your S3, so now you need one.  Do you coordinate with them to go back to the store and pick one up?  Forgot to get a gift receipt?

You're absolutely right, this all sounds trivially simple.  Contacting support is much too complex.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
lmfao dude you take like too seriously. i was obviously talking about
online ordering with the check box remark. xD omg. how tight is your a**hole
Best Answer
0 Votes

@nyxela,

Actually, you didn't mention online ordering, it wasn't obvious to me.  So then are you suggesting that:

• People who buy in brick-and-mortar stores do not have this option?
  • People who buy at other online sites (like Amazon and Best Buy) also do not have this option?

So this would only benefit people who shop at Fitbit.com?  So is this what you resort to when other folks point out the flaws in your suggestion, you poke fun at them?

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you use anything but a Bluetooth PC you need a dongle. Windows 10 won't do it with the communication device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes