Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App development for Charge 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Currently there are not much apps for the Charge 3 and it also is not possible to use Fitbit Studio to add custom applications.

If and when will we be able to create apps for the Charge 3?

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Fitbit has not released an SDK for the Charge 3 and it is not clear if they will or want to keep development on this tracker in-house. Only time will tell.

Best Answer

Thank you for your answer, as much was clear to me.

By having an SDK for the Charge 3 the number of apps available would increase which in turn could help sway potential buyers.

I read that the Charge 2 never got an SDK because it does not uses FitbitOS, either way I hope they release one for the Charge 3.

One of the reasons I bought it was because it advertises as having apps, what Fitbit calls apps competitors call core features.

It would be nice if a Fitbit representative could answer this definitively.

Best Answer

Fitbit Devs/Admins:

The Charge 3 is a great product. The web interface is even better. As far as I know, it is unmatched in any other tracker. I'm not sure I want a large tech device on my wrist - if I did, it would be an Iphone, because of the voice interface. I'm pleased overall with the Charge 3, but...

The charge has has functions linked to icons. They look like apps and even report the developer's name (all fitbit) and a reporting mechanism, but apparently there is no developer ecosystem yet. I think to most people, 'apps' implies an open ecosystem, we started using that term because of the iPhone. It looks like you've planned to let outside developers have a crack at it, so when? We'd love to hear when you plan to open up development.

Best Answer

I was given a charge 3 for Christmas. As a 20-year veteran developer I thought I might have a crack at making a watch face that showed what I wanted. But I can not find a development kit. There should be a roadmap of if and when such a thing would be created. The shine of my new charge has dimmed somewhat as no road map for it to do what other devices are already doing. I am glad i was given the thin stylish face of the charge 3 I don't want a bulky screen on my wrist as many others have said but that does not mean I don't want the flexibility of a development kit.

Best Answer