Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I wear my Charge 3 in salt water?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had an issue with their fitbit not being waterproof in salt water? I heard recently that someone went on vacation and the salt water totally destroyed their fitbit. I was under the assumption that they are waterproof down to so many feet not depending upon the type of water. 

Any and all response would be very helpful.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome on board @moose07, it's nice to see you around here! Charge 3 is water resistant up to 50 meters for use in the pool, ocean, shower or rain.

I agree with @WavyDavey, just make sure you're rising off the salt water after an ocean dip to prevent salt buildup, as with any other device. For more information about wearing your Fitbit device, see our Wear and Care page.

Please let us know if there's anything else we may do to assist you. Robot Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

Hi @moose07,

Yes, moderators here have stated that it should be fine in salt water. Some folks that do that forget to rinse off the watch afterwards, and I think that may be a cause of the problems.

But if you search the forums for salt water, you'll see most people aren't having issues with it.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome on board @moose07, it's nice to see you around here! Charge 3 is water resistant up to 50 meters for use in the pool, ocean, shower or rain.

I agree with @WavyDavey, just make sure you're rising off the salt water after an ocean dip to prevent salt buildup, as with any other device. For more information about wearing your Fitbit device, see our Wear and Care page.

Please let us know if there's anything else we may do to assist you. Robot Very Happy

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Can personally attest the devise has no problem with salt water....swam 3 days in a row in the ocean...just don't forget to rinse it with fresh water afterwards

Best Answer

Hey there @Oleg1975, thanks for jumping in here and for sharing your personal experience! Smiley Very Happy I'm glad to hear you have had no problem with salt water. 

Happy stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you all who have answered my question about saltwater.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It was a pleasure @moose07! We are glad to hear we could answer your question. Robot wink

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted.

I hope you have a great day! 

Best Answer

I am still trying to get my charge3 to work after swimming with it in the ocean. Wouldn’t recommend after my experience. 

Best Answer

I recently worn my Fitbit charger3 in the ocean and it completely stopped working. I do not recommend to wear in salt water.

Best Answer

Same here. Wore mine in the ocean last week and the screen has since gone black. It will still charge and track, however none of the screen functionality or notifications will work. Definitely don't recommend wearing in the ocean.

Best Answer

I wore mine in the Gulf of Mexico today while swimming and when I came out of the water, it wasn’t on my wrist anymore. The band must have become unhinged in the water and it’s swimming with the fish. I wore my old Flex 3 in the water for 3 years with no issues. After only owning one month, my Charge 3 is gone. 😞

Best Answer

I have had the Charge 3 since Dec of 2018 and I have had to have it replaced 3 times. The first two times, it just quit working - no reason. The last time, I finally swam with it and it stopped working within an hour of coming out of the water. I did rinse it off etc but since then, July 4th, I haven't gotten it wet. I am annoyed since I bought this device so I could swim with it! I guess I will try swimming with it again, but so far my experience with the Charge 3 has been awful - when it works, it is great, but it it not reliable. Also, when I have to have it replaced, it takes Fitbit at least a FULL week to send me a new one - once it took 3 weeks. With that in mind, in the time I have owned the device, I have also been without one for about 5 weeks total. I figure by the time the warranty if over in December it will stop working again and I will be back to square one. Very disappointed! 

Best Answer

I wore my Versa in the ocean twice this week. The screen went black after placing it on the charger, and it is no longer working. I originally thought I didn't charge it long enough, but after the second night of it going black, I realize this is a malfunction. I replaced my Charge 2 this year after requiring another new band. This is quite disappointment. Now I have to go through the process of getting it repaired/replaced. I am not sure how to manage not having one at all until it is repaired.

Best Answer

Went boating and swimming for the day in salt water.  Before we got home my Fitbit Charge starting vibrating in shocking, crazy sequences then screen went black.  After charging it starting blinking and vibrating again.  The screen went black again and I realized it must have been the salt water.  Oops.  Manual should state that it is FRESH WATER resistant to remind us of the damaging properties of salt. Now I'm trying to decide to replace with the Apple Watch or another Fitbit. ????

Best Answer
I took the offer of 50% of the value of a new Fitbit watch. I have the
Versa 2. Let's see how this one goes.
Best Answer

I just went wadding for 10 mins in the Indian Ocean with my FitBit Charge 3, not even more than 24inches into the water and now it's completely dead. I don't recommend using in salt water. Never had a problem using it in the pool. 

Best Answer

Thank you. This is helpful to me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, it seems that a lot of people on this thread have had problems with using it in the sea that have not been answered... Can you provide some updated information about whether it is actually compatible in Ocean water? What's the warranty period for the charge 3? Thanks 

Best Answer

Do not wear the Charge 3 in salt water!! It will not work in salt water!!! It is water resistant up to 50ft but I recently accidentally wore mine in the shower for only 30sec and took it off and it froze up. My watch was under 1 yr old with the salt water incident, and they replaced it, no charge. The shower incident was just fixed over the phone by resetting it. Good luck!

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip! I have seen in several places though on the forums that fitbit moderators are saying sea water is fine? so confused as to why they keep saying its fine but plenty of people are having trouble with it?

if it is meant to be fine in sea water why isnt is covered under warranty? if its not fine then why are they saying it is?

Can anyone from fitbit share some light on this please and address the huge contradictions that are clearly becoming an issue with people using fitbit in sea water?

Best Answer