Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn off email notifications

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 3 buzzes for every single gmail message I get. Truly annoying, and NOT something I want. I've turned off every notification setting in the Fitbit app and still they come rolling in. Nothing like having your watch chirp at you all day long. Does anyone know how to remove this feature?

Moderator edit: content

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I believe I solved the issue. I decided to reinstall the Fitbit app. Upon starting the app, during the location GPS settings prompt, I was notified that the newer version of android require the location settings to be set to always on. I think I previously had them set to "while app in use only." After seeing this prompt I remember that my phone recently had an android update pushed through. It may be circumstantial, but now that I have allowed the Fitbit app location services always on, the email notifications have been reset to off and have stayed off. Maybe this will help someone else.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

It's great to see you here, @gwtiii.

Thanks for troubleshooting this notifications issue. I recommend restarting your tracker by following the steps in the article: How do I restart my Fitbit device?.

Also, make sure to do the following to turn off your email notifications:

1. Open the Fitbit app
  2. Tap your image icon
  3. Tap Charge 3
  4. Tap Notifications
  5. Tap Emails
  6. Turn this option off
  7. Sync

Also, you can go to "App Notifications" and check if you have any other email option that want to turn off.

Let me know the outcome. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I was able to follow your instructions up until the point of sync device.

It says synced 6 minutes ago, but I was able to toggle the switch to off, hopefully this does the trick.

If it worked, I won't be back to update you, but if it doesn't work, I'll be back looking for another solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done this over and over and over again...email notifications turns itself right back on.  What happens then? 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Same here!  Extremely annoying.  Must be a new 'helpful' feature.  Just want it off!

Best Answer

This is effecting me and my Versa too.

Best Answer

Mine is an Inspire 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Charge 3.  And I sure won't be wearing it overnight until this is fixed.

Could be a Gmail rather than fitbit problem. I turned off all notifications on my phone within Gmail and that seems to have solved the problem. My Charge 3 still says it's allowing Gmail notifications but none are coming through anymore. Guess we have to be mad at Gmail rather than fitbit 😉.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Best Answer
0 Votes
I still need my gmail notifications 9n my phone, as it's my main email.
But I don't need gmail notifications on my wrist!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a bug. The setting will remain off in the app until you sync again which will turn Gmail notifications back on. This is repeatable. @AlejandraFitbit you need to report this as a bug to your development team.

Best Answer

Hello everyone. Thanks for participating in the community forums. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for the troubleshooting steps you've tried. I'd like to test this and at the same time, I want to confirm if you have set Gmail as an app notification rather than an email notification. 

If not, I recommend doing the following steps: 

1. In the Fitbit app, tap or click the Account icon > your device image > Notifications, and turn off email notifications.
  2. Tap App Notifications, and turn on Gmail email notifications. Note that Gmail isn’t available as an app to receive notifications from until they received at least one notification from the app on their phone after setting up your Fitbit device.
  3. Make sure to enable notifications in the phone's settings.

Hope this helps. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I disabled both email notifications and all app notifications including Gmail. No luck

Best Answer

I have the same exact issue on my Charge 4. This recently changed. My notifications had been set to off for email, but recently they started being pushed to the Charge 4 again. Every attempt to disable the notifications in the Fitbit app takes two attempts for it to be set in the off position + the sync. It eventually resets back to sending the notifications after a short period of time (maybe 5 minutes or so.) Not sure when the app was last updated (I'll look after this,) but this is definitely a recent change.

Best Answer

I believe I solved the issue. I decided to reinstall the Fitbit app. Upon starting the app, during the location GPS settings prompt, I was notified that the newer version of android require the location settings to be set to always on. I think I previously had them set to "while app in use only." After seeing this prompt I remember that my phone recently had an android update pushed through. It may be circumstantial, but now that I have allowed the Fitbit app location services always on, the email notifications have been reset to off and have stayed off. Maybe this will help someone else.

Best Answer

I just attempted this (without app reinstall, but turning on the Always setting for location permissions). It allowed me to turn of email notifications and I actually saw them get disabled right after (something that wasn't happening originally) but then they just got re-enabled all over again with the next sync. I'll let you know if a full reinstall makes a difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't explain it, but it looks like repeating @Joerilla 's approach did the trick for me too, even though just simply the location services bit (without reinstall) did not. Possible that reinstalling is clearing the cache or some such and enabling the notification setting to stick?

Best Answer

This is not a Gmail issue but a Fitbit issue. The same thing happens with Outlook. After several attempts to clear cache and data the only resolution was to reinstall the app as @Joerilla has suggested.

Best Answer

I tried @Joerilla method today April 20th, 2022 and I can confirm it worked and fixed the issue. As @emigre459 said, you must reinstall the app, not just change the location settings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Correction: 2021

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Joerilla solution worked for me. The location services change was not the issue however (I left mine as "Only while app is open"). The reinstall was all I needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes