Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 vs Charge 3 accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just heard about Charge 3 two months after I got my Charge 2. Too bad Fitbit doesn't have a trade-in program. My question is based on press releases and articles, how exactly has Fitbit improved the Charge 3 in terms of heart rate data, calorie burning, sleeping data, etc.? Is not any more accurate than Charge 2? 

Thank you,

Mirela

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I gathered the info from the same sources.

Thus far, my understanding is:

1. Fitbit says the sensors are "improved", but no details on which aspect.

2. The algorithm is also "improved", but of course, that again is proprietary and no one other than Fitbit knows how it works.

TBH, I've absolutely no idea how frequent my Charge 2 samples my heart rate, whether it is 1s interval, 5s interval or 10s interval. I've no idea whether the sleeping data is accurate or not, as I have not been to a sleep lab to compare the data. The calorie burning is calculated based on my weight, height, and heart rate (?), and I'm unaware if it also takes into account my ventilation rate, or environmental temperature, without which, how does it justify its accuracy.

So, in short, pretty much everything in the market is just the same, imho.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wrote up a comparison of the Fitbit Charge 3 vs Charge 2 and addressed accuracy. You can read it here: https://wearablewhisperer.com/fitbit-charge-3-vs-charge-2/#accuracy

In summary, Fitbit has announced “enhanced heart rate technology” for the Fitbit Charge 3 and claims it offers improved accuracy during exercise compared to Charge 2 and better measures stats like calories burned and resting heart rate.

How much better is yet to be determined and this is one of the first things I'll be testing once I receive my Charge 3.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please do let me know of your review. I'd like to know how accurate, as they say, it is and how it compares to the Charge 2.

Best Answer

We've got a thread going where several people are reporting inaccurate heart rate monitoring. One person thinks it's because they reduced the number and brightness of the lights in the heart rate sensor on the Charge 3 vs. the Charge 2.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-3/Heart-rate-monitor-not-accurate-during-exercise/m-p/2997518...

Best Answer

I have the Charge 2 and now the 3. As far as the heart rate goes, 3 is more accurate for me. Many times the 2 wouldn't register. As far as stair count goes, both are horribly off but 3 is definitely far worse. Regarding steps, 2 is way more accurate than 3 has been.

Best Answer

I have a 3 & it can be wildly in a urate, showing 103, my actual rate 58! But it is also very inconsistent, I checked a few minites ago, my Fitbit saying 87, my actual rate 60. I think this will be going back for a refund. 

Best Answer

My Altra HR was as good or more accurate for both sleeping and exercise. A lot of noise about improvements for C3, but I can say it was/is a disappointment.  Other features are nice but my priorities are sleep & exercise.  If my HR wasn't so scratch up, and the fact that I threw away my new C3 box, I'd bail. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I switched from Charge 2 to Charge 3, and seems to me that Charge 3 is indeed more accurate in calorie counting. However, when related to swimming, which is why I changed to Charge 3, calorie counting is quite poor, particularly for breaststroke.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just started using the charge 3 for swimming and the calorie count is WAY off (although the distance is spot on) I was going to reach out to them about this as the swim tracking was my primary reason for upgrading to the charge 3. Definitely disappointed. 

Best Answer

My heart rate reading seem to jump up a bit for the first week on the charge 3 versus the charge 2 ,they've now settled to where I've gotten before.  Calorie count seems to be about 5% less with the 3 vs the 2 after a month of use. 

Best Answer
0 Votes