Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to perform a factory reset on Charge 3?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've tried following these steps for a factory reset but I do not know how you're supposed to continually hold down the side button (in the cradle with the cut out hole for pressing the button) AND be able to continue to hold it down when you remove the watch from the cable. You must let go of the button to get it out of the cradle.  Can someone clarify Step 2, transition to Step 3?

To factory reset your tracker:

1. Attach the charging cable to your tracker and plug the other end into a USB port.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately two seconds and without letting go of the button:
    1. Remove the charging cable from your tracker.
    2. Wait about seven to nine more seconds after removing the charging cable.
  3. Let go of the button and hold it down again.
  4. After "ALT" and a white screen flash, let go of the button and hold it down again.
  5. After you feel a vibration, let go of the button and hold it down again.
  6. After you see "ERROR," let go of the button and hold it down again.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity & format

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey there @DDNGA, thanks for stopping by! While reading your post I was wondering where you got those steps from? It seems those steps belong to a Factory Reset for Fitbit Charge and Charge HR, not the Charge 3. You can see in this article.

If you want to perform a Factory Reset on Charge 3, see: How do I erase my Fitbit device?

If your Fitbit device has one of the following problems, it may be fixed by a restart:

• Not syncing
  • Not responding to button presses, taps, or swipes
  • Charged but doesn't turn on
  • Not tracking your steps or other stats

Restarting your device turns it off and on without deleting any activity data (like the Factory Reset does). If your device saves notifications, a restart deletes them.

Follow the restart instructions below.

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. 
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker restarted.
  5. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Hope this solves your inquiry, let me know if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
57 REPLIES 57

Hey there @DDNGA, thanks for stopping by! While reading your post I was wondering where you got those steps from? It seems those steps belong to a Factory Reset for Fitbit Charge and Charge HR, not the Charge 3. You can see in this article.

If you want to perform a Factory Reset on Charge 3, see: How do I erase my Fitbit device?

If your Fitbit device has one of the following problems, it may be fixed by a restart:

• Not syncing
  • Not responding to button presses, taps, or swipes
  • Charged but doesn't turn on
  • Not tracking your steps or other stats

Restarting your device turns it off and on without deleting any activity data (like the Factory Reset does). If your device saves notifications, a restart deletes them.

Follow the restart instructions below.

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. 
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker restarted.

Hope this solves your inquiry, let me know if you need further assistance! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I got it on your site as I was trying to troubleshoot the issues with my device. I followed the automated 'path' to get to the factory reset. I thought I was in the Charge 3 area/path, but maybe not. Regardless, your support reps determined my watch is defective and have sent a replacement. But, thank you for this info, it may help others.

Best Answer

Awesome @DDNGARobot Very Happy I'm so glad to hear our Support Team sorted this out. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Have a great day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.  Your post worked. 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have performed a factory reset, tried to update and the screen still will not turn on. 😞  My fitbit3 is only about 6 months old.  Friday the screen turned white, then had a line down the middle then went black and has not turned on since.

Best Answer

Welcome on board @novakchristine! Thanks for trying to solve the issue about the Charge 3 firmware update.

If the screen is still not turning on, I'd recommend restarting your device by following the steps below:

If the restart does not work, but your Charge 3 is still syncing I'd recommend changing the clock face to a different one. 

Once the screen is back on, follow the steps at: Why can't I update my Fitbit device? 

Let me know the outcome, I'll be around. 

Best Answer

Hi I tried both steps and it won’t turn on.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

Hi @novakchristine, thanks for coming back and for letting me know you've tried the steps suggested. 

I've created a support case on your behalf - you should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Let me know if there's any questions present. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all of the tips you have given too and my Charge 3 doesnt want to turn on either.  It is less than 6 months old. 

Any suggestions please!

Best Answer

I just did what the moderator suggested and it worked.  I copied the suggestion below.  

If that doesn’t work, ask the moderator to see if there are other suggestions. You do have to be sure the device is connected properly.  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community Forums @MissB13! Thanks for trying all the tips and recommendations provided here in order to solve the issue with your Charge 3's screen. 

Have you also tried what @KennieJ is recommending that worked for him? Robot wink

I'd like to suggest that if your Charge 3 is still syncing, try to change the clock face to a different one to see if this brings back the display. The process is done through the Fitbit app so don't worry if you cannot see anything on the display by now. 

Let us know if the steps work for you, I'll be glad to continue assisting you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
did not work 😞

--
Christine
Best Answer

Hello @novakchristine!, It's nice to see you again! 

I've just checked your case and it seems that our Support Team helped you during this time. Are you having issues with your new device? 

I'm looking forward to your response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
they are sending a new one

--
Christine
Best Answer
0 Votes

I followed all the links in your post, to reset Charge3 to factory and it brought me right back to the original issue: it's impossible to hold down the "button" while the Fitbit is attached to the charging cable–– which it instructs you to do. I see that a restart is easy, but resetting to factory setting instructions do not work. Thanks for any help you can offer.  

Best Answer

I followed all the links in your post, to reset Charge3 to factory and it brought me right back to the original issue: it's impossible to hold down the "button" while the Fitbit is attached to the charging cable–– which it instructs you to do. I see that a restart is easy, but resetting to factory setting instructions does not work. Thanks for any help you can offer.  

Best Answer

NO this solution is not helpful.  You can't have the button in the cradle and still hold the button for 8 seconds.  You can't reach the button if it's in the charging cradle.

Best Answer

Yes! Exactly what I'm saying. This does not work. 

Best Answer

I am having the same issue .... have attempted restart several times to no avail.  App will not recognize the fit bit, there is no syncing and the screen is black.

i can achieve smiley face and progress bar across screen during reset instructions, but it will not reset and turn on

Best Answer