Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot establish a GPS Connection. Turning GPS off." on Charge 4

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit states: "Cannot establish a GPS Connection. Turning GPS off." I cannot get my Fitbit to go to any other screen. I have tried swiping up and down and left to right.

I got to the GPS screen accidentally when I was looking for the alarm screen. My Fitbit has not had this on the home screen for more than 12 hours. I have tried: 

• Turning my phone off and on
  • Going to my dashboard (I can't find GPS on my dashboard!) 
  • Charging my Fitbit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

Tobey A

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I hesitate to offer advice as I've only had mine for a week. If you are at the GPS screen try taping the face with your finger alternatively a short press on the side button. If you can get to the settings screen go down to "about" and press reboot. I've had mine hang up on me while using GPS (see other threads for problems with GPS - which we think Fitbit are looking at) and eventually got it working but can't remember exactly how.

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Hi, I hesitate to offer advice as I've only had mine for a week. If you are at the GPS screen try taping the face with your finger alternatively a short press on the side button. If you can get to the settings screen go down to "about" and press reboot. I've had mine hang up on me while using GPS (see other threads for problems with GPS - which we think Fitbit are looking at) and eventually got it working but can't remember exactly how.

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer

Also, see thread Charge 4 screen wake not working

Gr4ndp4 | UK

Best Answer

Mine does this almost every time I use it.  I have used the dynamic setting and the use phone GPS setting, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.  Very annoying.

Best Answer

Only built-in GPS works reliably on my Charge 4, and of course, that's sucks down the power so it only works for relatively short rides. The other options fail various ways but generally just don't record anything at all or display "lost GPS connection, stopping" (or something similar) on every ride or run. Extremely frustrating.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @Ms_Tobey_A and @fwulf@goterps75, it's great to see you here and @Gr4ndp4, thanks for the input.

I understand how are you feeling and appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this GPS issue. If you are having problems with this feature, I recommend taking a look at the help article:  and follow the instructions provided there.

Have a good day!

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, has there been any recent resolution or patches to fix this. I'm wondering what else I can do, the gps just seems to have given up. Also the screen wake when I flick my wrist to view the display is off ..I've not changed any setting. 

I've only had mine since last Xmas and it's getting all wonky unfortunately.

Kind regards

Nesh

Best Answer
I am not aware of any fix for the GPS problems with FitBit. Then again, I’m back to using my Charge 2 with the cracked screen, since the band on my Charge 4 broke (10 months old) and is not something that can be fixed by simply replacing the band. I have sent for replacement but don’t yet have a new device. Really getting discouraged with FitBit quality and functionality, but I have a small wrist and don’t want a giant watch. Good luck.

Nancy L. Harrison
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, it's a shame because it worked so well for the first 2 to 3 mths, then just seems to have hit the skids .. I like the basic functions, the displays e.g. split time display with the GPS - nice n easy but wasn't expecting reliability issues to be quite so prevalent.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well at least it's consistent. Was the same today on the run, the GPS cuts off exactly around the 11.5 minute mark..on each reset. 

Is there a way to get a replacement tracker?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine's doing this! 11 mins 10 seconds 6 or so times in a row.

Best Answer
A replacement is not going to help the situation, it is their software. 
Best Answer

Yeah for real!  I kept trying to track my walk using the phone GPS, and it kept dropping at 11 min with the stupid "unable to establish GPS connection..." error. 

I'm really thinking about returning this lame Charge 4 and going back to the Charge 3!  I bought the 4 thinking it was an upgrade with the SpO2, etc., yet I still haven't been able to access that feature after two weeks...

What a letdown! 

Best Answer

Gr4ndp4, great advise, that worked for the "cannot establish a GPS connection" screen, but the FITBIT is not working/tracking my activity at all. I have been using a track 2 for 2 years, and tonigh is back to track 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey y'all - I was having this issue and opened a support chat with Fitbit. They had me do all the usual stuff (charge, reset to defaults, reboot) but it was the same result. Then they asked me to mail it in w/o explanation. They obviously knew something that I didn't (and didn't share the details). Got a replacement and now I'm not getting the dreaded "Turning GPS Off" message. Something is clearly different in the hardware as the software versions are the same.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to hear that the good folks at Fitbit offered you a replacement - I'd reckon that's probably the best way forward.. however how do they decide who gets a replacement or otherwise. Curious.

I've just learnt to live with the issue however it's a shame given I was quite hyped when I had my charge 4 .. now the 5 is being promoted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've experienced this problem too but I seem to have found a way to make it work:

First, open the Fitbit app and then click on the "+" for manually tracking exercise. This is just to get the app to update your current position. 

Second, on your tracker swipe to the Exercise option and tap, then select the type of exercise and tap start. Now wait until "Connected" is displayed then tap to start. If you start without waiting for the GPS to be connected it will fail to connect (at least that's my experience). For me that usually takes about 30 seconds. 

I have a feeling that the app may not be allowed to access the GPS if you don't follow these steps. 

I only have the tracker use the phone GPS because using the built-in GPS the battery dies way too fast. 

Best Answer

Tonight I went for a walk and I followed the steps I outlined above. Once the GPS was connected I put my phone in my right back pocket. After about 15 minutes the GPS lost connection. I stopped the exercise and restarted it but put my phone in my left back pocket - same side of my body as the tracker - and it stayed connected for my entire 90 minute walk. It seems it may be very sensitive to the location of your phone. 

Best Answer

Thank you Bill. I guess the problem is for runners who head out only with the tracker on the wrist and leave the phone at home. Maybe the new charge 5 has fixed this .. hopefully.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having the same issues with my Sense GPS, I walk with my husband and he has the Sense watch to, he has had no problems with his watch so I know its my watch. I have found that if you have screen on top all the time setting on while I do my walk it stopped the GPS loosing its signal, I turned it on while I did my walk and then turn it off after. I hope this helps 

Best Answer
0 Votes