Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altimeter / Floor Counter for Charge 5?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does Charge 5 have an altimeter or some other way to count floors climbed? I bought the Luxe without fully investigating all the specs and want to make sure. 

Best Answer
238 REPLIES 238

I just received my charge 5 today. Had to upgrade since the strap holder on the Charge 4 broke (a common problem - or so I read) but am really, really disappointed with the lack of the stair counter. That was one of my main ways of getting exercise at home. 

Best Answer

@stevejc42 I always refer to this excelent spredsheet made by @Giampi71 

You can see that there is no fully funtional tracker but you need to make a compromise in terms of features.

Example

- Charge 4 has altimeter, Charge 5 and Lux no

- Charge 5, Lux and Inspire 2 have Readiness score but Charge 4 no.

Best Answer

Charge 5, Lux and Inspire 2 will only give you that Readiness score if you pay a monthly fee for it:

https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/technology/daily-readiness-scor

Best Answer

Exactly. It maybe silly to rely on a tracker to make you walk, and take the stairs, more; but it is amazing how forcing yourself to hit set goals each day, really works. And now FitBit is taking part of that away. Completely illogical. 

Best Answer

We have stairs to the basement where I have a huge walk in pantry. Some days it would amaze me as to how many stairs I would climb going up and down and putting stuff away or looking for some thing. Plus we have stairs at work that I have to use as there is no elevator and again by the end of the day I would always look to see how many stairs I have climbed. For Fitbit to take away that aspect well I will not get another Fitbit until they return the Altimeter/stair counter.

Best Answer

I'm not sure I'd have moved from Charge 4 to Charge 5 with this feature change. Living in Colorado, altimeter & floor (equivalents) climbed are important exercise measurements. Bad design opinion, IMHO, @KateFitbit!

---------------

Decision not opinion. Sorry.

Best Answer

I can't imagine what took place for someone (or a group of people) to consider removing the altimeter.  My estimate is that the top three features are Steps, Sleep and then Floors.  Wow, you folks just removed the ability to count floors.  What a disappointment, now I have to go return my new Charge 5 (which was a Christmas gift to myself) and figure out what I'm going to get.  

Best Answer

This is why we invest in trackers .. to push ourselves 

FITBIT made a bad decision to remove functionality. Altimeter was in Charge 1 through 4. .. Then it was removed.  

Best Answer

You are totally right! I may have moved to another state but I still compete against 2 friends and another friend through my sister. Competing really makes me push to get my steps in and to try to beat everybody. Before I got my Fitbit I used to sit on my butt at break time now with my Fitbit I go out and walk, win-win. I hope Fitbit realizes they made a mistake in removing the Altimeter/stair counter and bring that back.

I too was gifting myself the new Charge 5 till I found out that the altimeter/stair counter was removed.  I sincerely hope Fitbit realizes they’ve made a mistake by removing the stair counter and bring it back with their next new tracker otherwise I won’t be buying another Fitbit tracker.

Best Answer

I get how this can be confusing to people. There are reviews for charge 5 that say it has an altimeter. Just emphasizes the point that people assume new versions of hardware include everything from prior versions  + more. Not that some are things are added and others removed.

Best Answer

Perhaps they will correct their error but no one from FITBIT has responded to these posts.  Not sure they even care.

Best Answer

I’m certainly reading all the posts but I’m sure if you said something nasty about Fitbit they would be right on it. I look at it this way it’s more money in my pocket and less in Fitbits pocket 🤣🤣🤣.

With the new Charge 5 it is now too late to care 🤷‍:female_sign:. As I’ve stated previously if the next tracker that comes out doesn’t have a stair counter in it well then Fitbit has probably lost my business totally.

Best Answer

Flights climbed is a major part of my daily exercise routine, and I bought the rage 5 due to its improved (color) display over my previous Rage 2, 3, and 4's.  The health tracking features on the Rage 5 were an added bonus, but not essential for me.  I have been tracking flights climbed as well as steps, calories burned and active zone minutes for years.  So I was astounded that the Rage 5 eliminated the altimeter which eliminated my ability to continue to track my flights climbed during stair climbing and hiking up hills.  I made the assumption that the same features would still be present on the newer model, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who climbs hills and stairs (or mountains) and track this information.

Big disappointment!  Considering switching brands because of this!

Best Answer

sad. 😕  Steps have been a motivator for many of us.

🤔 Motivation is one of key reasons for tracking devices.

Best Answer

I believe that they removed the altimeter to add the 50M depth limit.  I'd think you could both, but, apparently not.

Best Answer

Nope, charge 4 is good down to 50 meters like the charge 5

Best Answer

No altimeter = no purchase. Off to Ebay to find a charge 3. honestly if any other company made a smaller watch face, I'd leave fitbit as the products are worse and worse. My first fitbit one lasted 5 YEARS. My most recent Charge 3 is DOA at exactly 1 year old. 

Best Answer

Hi @hikergrrl  just be sure that the seller on eBay allows for returns. Lots of people coming to the forums have said they were sold a non-working device and couldn't return them.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Be sure to check the eBay rating, first thing I always check. Good luck. I sure hope Fitbit brings back the altimeter 🙏🤞

Best Answer

It might be worth looking at Charge 4s too @hikergrrl .  They might still be selling new ones in the shops or on Amazon.  I loved my Charge 4!   I moved to that straight from my beloved One, when it died.

Best Answer