Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 GPS not accurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After the latest software update the gps does not seem to be nearly as accurate as it was initially.  If I’d known this was going to be an issue I never would have purchased it.  It seems to think I didn’t stick to the road and has me all over then what should log as 3.0 miles comes in at 3.35 or something else.  Not super helpful.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi, thank you for sharing this information about the trouble you've been experiencing with your Charge 5, @EricC1234.  

If the GPS is getting disconnected during your activity, the Charge 5 may track different information for the the distance. Before considering other options, make sure to follow the steps suggested in this article

All devices with GPS sensors require a direct path to GPS satellites to calculate location. A weak GPS signal might affect the accuracy of your route and other activity data. Your device uses your step count to calculate distance until it finds a signal, so the total distance calculated for a workout may be slightly less accurate when GPS isn't available for the entire time. In particular, please make sure of the following: 

• That you are  in open sky and moderate trees
  • Adjust how you wear the tracker when you want to use GPS 
  • Make sure the Location in your phone settings is set to Always or All the time for the Fitbit app (if you're using connected GPS)

If you continue to experience the same behavior and your GPS is getting disconnected, make sure to try following the steps listed in this article to complete a three pulse restart using the charging cable, as this has been useful for other users experiencing something similar. 

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are some good online reviews (DC Rainmaker) of the Charge 5 that indicate there may be a poor placement of the GPS antenna. Better GPS performance appears to be possible by wearing the tracker loosely, but this can negatively impact the accuracy of the HR tracking. Because I use my phone for music, and there is less battery drainage using the phone's GPS, I do that and have pretty decent GPS performance.I posted elswhere about a test I did for someone else at: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/My-GPS-has-disconnected/m-p/5214442/highlight/true#M1608...

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

@charleskn Thanks for sharing your feedback and your experience with this.

I'm sure this will be useful for other users as well. 

Have a great day. 😁 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had this problem too.  When I use the distance tracker on the watch, my run is 5.4 mi. When I use the distance tracker on the fitbit app, it's 4.9 mi.  I do want to know which one is accurate.  

Best Answer

Sometimes mines vary from my actual route by a little, which I expect at times based on the number of available satellites, etc. I have a running friend with a Charge 5 and his Charge 5 GPS tracks are sometimes WAYYYYY off. In his case, let's say he running laps on a 400m track. His GPS track will show segments that have him leaving the track 1/4 ,mile or more and then coming back. The odd thing is it doesn't appear as if the GPS lost lock with the satellites and then regained lock. There are multiple track points that diverge from his actual path (by a lot) for minutes at a time. When the Fitbit loses GPS lock, I expect to see that reflected in the pace for those segments, but in these cases, it's obvious that this hasn't happened, and his pace during the bad GPS segments mirrors his normal pace.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think when you run with your phone and the app on it is accurate. It seemed like when I first bought it it was accurate all by itself but then after an update it went off track and I think it may be that they try to save fit bit battery life by having it only check in with the satellite at intermittent intervals which gets you a terribly squiggly line when looking at the course you ran. But that is just my uneducated guess.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Over a week ago I went on a bike ride. Both apps are on my phone.

MapMyRide → 32.75 miles
Fitbit → 33.51 miles

Normally, I'd take that extra distance, but I know the MapMyRide is accurate. I'd like to just use Fitbit, but if I can't trust it's accuracy ... I mean 😬

----------------

I promise you, I left my cape in the shop and I did NOT fly over the houses during my walk yesterday. This GPS is just silly.

DavideFitbit_0-1687884244966.png

Best Answer