Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 battery drain, even after firmware update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi community,

I decided to open a new topic to track that even thought I have the newest Charge version on my device, the battery drain issue is still happening. This implies that I have to wait for another firmware update to have a decent device that holds battery life at least more than 2 hours.

Please Fitbit (yes, you, the company) I have been patiently waiting for the latest firmware just to realize that I'm on the same spot. I hope that the update comes earlier than the 6 months I have waited for the 1.171.50

I'm really frustrated and I'm hoping that you can step up to the challenge of honoring your community and clients

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Hi, thank you for sharing all these details about the inconvenience you've been having with your Charge 5 and for confirming that you already tried a few troubleshooting steps, @SunsetRunner.

I'm sorry to see that you continue to experience the same problem even after the update. I've shared with the team the reports from users that are still having this problem so they can look into it.  

I've been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this and it seems you're case is still being reviewed. You should be receiving a response soon. 

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback that you've provided so far. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I have the same problem.  I’ve been waiting for a customer support

Best Answer

Same problem here. It occurred my first day with the charge 5 a week or so ago, then resolved for a week. Now after the latest firmware update it’s happening again. I’m down to 79% just a few hours after a full charge, and I’m not using the watch (or GPS or always on screen) at all. Unbelievable.

Best Answer

Kind of relieved it’s not just me having this issue since last week where my 5 month old fitbit charge 5 doesn’t last even 24hours after full charge. 

I tried several suggestions already, restarting device (several times that helped in the past when the battery drained too quickly), restarting app, restarting phone, updating both phone and fitbit. 

Are there any other steps I can take, as the watch is now unusable, as the battery will not last even 12 hours.

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing. A restart seems   to have resolved the problem for the moment, but I’m concerned based on your comment that this fix may no longer work in the future. It’s frustrating too to not know when the problem may recur. Today I only realized it when I got an alert that my device was at 11% (it was at 80% or more this morning).

Best Answer

@DavideFitbit what is the evidence for assuming this battery drain issue will ever be solved by a firmware update, and isn't in fact due to faulty batteries in the affected devices?

Best Answer
I completed all troubleshooting measures without success. My Charge 5 was 100% charged at 10:30 pm and LESS THAN 7 HOURS LATER was completely depleted at 5:15 am while I slept.

I contacted Fitbit support and after confirming all troubleshooting measures, was disconnected from the call after 12 minutes without any resolution. Very disappointing.
Best Answer

If you want to extend the battery life of your Fitbit Sense, you should consider turning off the sensors you don’t need right now GPS, Bluetooth, and other health monitoring sensors could be included.
Turn off the Always-On Display on your Fitbit Charge 5 and see if the battery life improves.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, I have the same issue.  Fitbit has been working great for 6 months.  Each charge lasting 6-7 days easily.  Then I updated the app and firmware,  now the battery completely drains after 4-5 hours. Making the device unusable. I contacted support two days ago and was told I would receive an email on a fix. Do I just keep waiting or do I need to call again?

Thank you for your assistance on this.

Best Answer

@Jake_Smyth some or all of those features are likely to be reasons why people chose the Charge 5 over other models. Switching off important functions is not a solution. It's actually a bait & switch tactic.

Best Answer

My fitbit had been working ok, sometimes battery was running out quickly but not often. After the firmware update things seem to work ok, but today I think my fitbit died and now wont even charge. 

Best Answer

Mine got worse and now only is on when on the charger - it can be 99% and then it will die the minute it comes off. Don't waste your time with support, they give you the run around and say to wait for another update. 

Best Answer
Same here. Completely dead.
Best Answer

LiJaHi, Or faulty chips in those affected devices. If a device shows 100% battery coming off the charger and then immediately shows zero as some have reported that would seem to indicate a faulty chip.

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for sharing all your feedback and experience about this issue with the battery life. I'm sorry to see that many of you are still experiencing some of these problems. 

It seems other users have also been experiencing problems with battery or with the screen not responding at all. If you haven't done so already, please make sure that you've followed all the steps listed here below: 

1. Complete the 3 pulse restart procedure method using the charging cable.
  2. Please sync your device in the Fitbit app by tapping your profile picture > Charge 5 > Sync Now.
  3. If you  can't sync, please try tapping on your profile picture > Charge 5 > Tile to see if the firmware banner appears (since a new firmware version has been released for the Charge 5).
  4. If it's still unresponsive, please try changing the clock face as well and check if you're able to see anything on the display. 
  5. In the specific case that your battery is not lasting as long as it should, please follow the steps listed here as well. 

If you already tried all these steps after updating to the  latest firmware version (1.171.50) and you continue to have the same problems, I do recommend that you continue the communication with the Customer Support team so they can let you know about the next steps. You can click here to get connected. 

Thanks again for all your comments and feedback provided so far. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same for me, charge lasts max 2 days some time 1 - previously before the firmware update  6-7 days.

I have searched for a solution and no luck in improving my battery life i have everything switched off now and still very poor battery life. 

This is the 4th  Fitbit I have had previously a big advocate of buying one. However this battery life issue is so frustrating this is probably the last one I buy.

So disappointing for what was a great product.  RIP fitbit.  

Best Answer

Hi, did this issue ever get sorted? I am currently having the same issue

Best Answer
0 Votes
After multiple phone calls and completing all troubleshooting I was able to get a new charge 5 from Fitbit at no charge.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
HI
No, I have tried everything to remove notifications etc and removed the
normal stuff I have on but still the battery only lasts max 2 days ,
recharged it to 100% 3 hour ago and already down to 85%.
needs a new firmware update to cure it.
Best Answer