Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 battery draining quickly after the update

Updated the firmware on my Charge 5 and immediately the battery, which had no issues previously, started draining within 24 hours. Three days later it is now completely dead and won't charge. Fitbit is taking zero responsibility for this even though it is their update that caused the issue. I'm assuming other people are experiencing this as well? I find it completely unacceptable...

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
117 REPLIES 117

I think I will try this - please keep us updated on the progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 5 is basically useless. It won’t hold a charge for more than 8 hours, I can’t wear it at night to track sleep habits because it will die. I have tried the reset with the cord & it still won’t hold a charge for longer than 12 hours. I have been a faithful user since 2020 having a previous Fitbit which had no issues before upgrading to the Charge 5 in 2022. Customer Service claims it’s not the upgrade that took place in December 2023 but ever since it was installed, my Fitbit issues with holding a charge started. I was so frustrated that l bit the bullet and purchased an Apple Smart Watch. I can’t see investing in another Fitbit only to be let down. I only have had the Charge 5 since the fall of 2022. 

Best Answer

@RyRo1 will try this when I get my sense 2 in case I can't pair it back with the app, given my screen is black but everything work and just drains the battery fast (having to charge it to full every day) was your screen black too? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I removed my device from the app and then added it back on, but this has still made no difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner I was asking ryro, given they said they may have unbricked their screen possibly or asking if they only solved their battery issue. I have both black screen and battery drain but fitbit still works but having to charge it once a day instead of multiple days and the screen went from visible to black.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@vigvic @After I had attached my Fitbit to a charger the screen came back on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RyRo1 lol yeah I have tried to restart mine on the charger multiple times (20+) and even let the battery drain to 0 and then charge to 100 to no avail still black screen, battery drain but 90% usability and the only thing I haven't done is unpair and pair back to device until my new device comes in as you need the code in the screen to pair it..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done it all! Pressed the buttons to reboot it, cleaned the back with an alcohol swab. Forced stop on the app. Removed watch from my devices, then readded. I have charge it using different  cubes in different outlets in different houses. When it did come back on briefly I turned off and on the heart rate tracker. This thing is D-O-N-E

Best Answer

@Chiara44 was your screen ever black? But device fully functional?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No I don't believe so. It all happe Ed so quickly tbh

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine started with the battery drain right after the update a few days ago and now I've got the black screen of nothing on top of that. Tried the cache clear and restart from charger. Got my screen back for about an hour before the battery drained and brought me back to square one...

Definitely a software issue 

Best Answer

I started out with the battery drain right after I updated then on top of that I also got the black screen. Tried clearing cache and restarting with the charger and got my screen back for about an hour, until the battery died that is... Back to completely dead now

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bttrswt36 the fact that you got the screen back for an hour after clearing cache and doing all the other shows the update made the devices battery drain uber fast and locks up or maybe fry the screen. I'll remove and add the device when I get my new device on Monday. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought I was alone on this. I’ve tried all troubleshooting tips to no avail. After leaving my Charge 5 on its charger, for weeks, it unexpectedly came back to life. I was ecstatic, until I noticed the 99% charge drop to 6% in about four hours, so I put it on the charger, and there it still sits, dead as a fishing weight. 

Best Answer

Had the same problem with my Charge 5. Ended up buying a brand new Charge 6, which is a bummer considering I should have had too because this is an issue that a lot of people experienced.

Best Answer

SAME. 

Best Answer

At this point, I returned to Costco for store credit since it was 90 days but it does fall under their 90 day electronics warranty. It's costcos current stance. They did this under a one time basis so if you bought at Costco, you could try.

Best Answer

I am having same issues since last few days...not sure how to get help.

Best Answer

It's safe to say they probably bricked them and either wait for an update or since the charge 6 has been released they did it to push people to the new released device. If you outside of warranty, try to get a coupon if not go to a new company or get a super cheap 2nd hand gently used or refurbished on ebay my sense 2 (custom band, pebble only and charger cable came out to 88 dollars compared to 250 at the fitbit store)came in today and I'm not worried about the charge 5 anymore.

Best Answer

I got the same response. Fitbits apathy & indifference to their customers is a big bummer. 

Best Answer