Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 stopped working after getting wet

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m so frustrated.  I had an Inspire for a few years and loved it so much I decided to upgrade to Charge 5.  Everything was OK until I went in the pool with it.  And I’m talking wading, not even lap swimming.  I sat in the water for maybe 15 minutes and my watch just died.  All it does is flash the Fitbit logo on the screen, and the moment I try to reset it, it goes dark.  No response whatsoever.  I must say it happened about three months ago (I have had it for less than half a year) after showering, but back then I was able to restart it no prob.  Again, I am so, so frustrated, because otherwise it was working just fine and I really loved it.  What can I do? Sadly, I don’t have proof of purchase anymore 😞

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56
I bought mine off Amazon. Everything seemed to be working fine on it. Until it died

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

They warned me about the Amazon purchases. They say it's often a third party selling and not genuine Fitbit product.

--------------

I did the same. ..water aerobics. Once. And it died. Had a 3 also prior and lived with it on my wrist, except for charging. It lasted years and I "upgraded" for the sleep and cardio features.

--------------

Did you try pressing the button on the changing cord? Press 3 times with 1sec between presses. Hope it works.

--------------

Call them and you can get a new one or 50% off any other product, if you're still under warranty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I still think some official
Charge 5’s have died in the water.

Yes tried it about 50 times and the screen just goes black so I’ve put it in rice outside on the balcony of my hotel in Greece where it’s hot so after 5 days or so if it still doesn’t work there’s no hope. I would like to send it to Fitbit to see what’s gone wrong with it, if mines legit because I bought it off Amazon. All the features worked on it and on the Fitbit app so I don’t see how it can be a fake

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

Similar to my situation, when we came up from the beach this afternoon I showered and my Fitbit hadn’t worked since. It’s not even a year old, got it for my birthday last September. I’ve always worn it to shower and swim, always water locked it and never a problem until today! It’s in rice now, but I’m not hopeful after seeing all these posts! Darn, I loved it! But it wasn’t very reliable lately, my heart rate only shows up sometimes. Not very helpful during an AFIB attack this past February. 🙁

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine was only a few weeks old and it gave up the ghost after a shower also. I called Fitbit and they offered me a new one or 50% off any other product. They also warned me that often Amazon Fitbits are not guaranteed Fitbit products.

I am waiting for the new one to arrive.

Rod

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve just bought a garmin to try it out. Supposed to be waterproof up to 50m. I’ve lost faith in fitbits after mine died randomly. It was ok a year ago

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for this, I will check that out. I did get mine on
Amazon...interesting!
Debby
Best Answer
0 Votes

They say it is water resistant but if you look through the posts you will see many people with this problem. 

----------

They want us to feel like it's our fault for using the device as stated rather than their fault for selling us devices that don't do what they say they do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree. It's supposed to be water resistant.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've swam with my fitbit Charge 5 a bunch of times!!! Last week I had it on while swimming and it stopped responding. When I first plugged it in afterwards I would feel it vibrate but nothing would come on the screen. Decided to try again today and the fitbit logo comes on and stays on while it is plugged in until I unplug it. I already tried rebooting it from the cord and that doesn't work 😞 I've had my device for a little over a year. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need to warn you. I’ve been a fitbit user for many years started with the original Charge and have upgraded every time a new version came never had a problem with none of the until the Charge 5.  The first one I bought lasted over a year until April this year when I went into the pool and it went dark.  But never having a problem with the brand I purchased a new in May and today when I was playing golf a rain storm hit us and my Charge 5 got wet, I didn’t worry because it was rain but when I finished playing I checked my Charge 5 to see what time it was and it was dark as the day I got into the pool.  I’ve all the steps to revive and nothing happens.  In my cell it first said it was looking for the Charge 5 then it goes to ‘Syncing Apps…’.  I decided to look at this forum and was surprised how many people are having this same problem, and that was when I decided to warn you about getting your Charge 5 wet in the rain. I still believe that this upgrade to Charge 5 came faulty, I can bet that all Charge 4 owners never had these problems.

Best Answer

Update: I tried rice for 24 hours and it still wasn’t working, so I called customer service. After trying a few more little tricks, I was told they would replace my Fitbit. So I got received the Fed Ex label from them and the broken Fitbit is on the way to their plant for replacement. Customer service was great, IMHO, and I guess the trick is not to get it wet!! Or allow shampoo etc. to clog up the works…I’m not sure what killed mine, as I said I’ve showered and swam with it on, in waterlock mode, a lot! But it wasn’t even a year old! So I’ll update again when I get the new one!! 

Best Answer
No worries if it’s water proof up to 50 metres deep then it shouldn’t die in any water above 50 metres or what’s the point In advertising it as such. 11 months ago I swam in the sea and went in the swimming pool with it on and had no idea about water lock mode. And then 2 weeks ago on my first day of my holiday I went in the pool with it less than a metre deep and when I came out I went to check the time and I thought my battery had died. When I went to charge it you could see all moisture inside the back of it. That’s when I realised it had died.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m waiting for mine as well… Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

After reading your post, I called customer service. Like you they had me try some other fixes, that didn't work, after consulting with his supervisor, it was determined it wasn't fixable! He gave me 2 options - 1. Replacement for free or 2. 50% off purchasing a new one.  The free replacement arrived yesterday and working.  Lesson Learned - don't get my Fitbit Charge5 wet and will not buy another Fitbit!  Thanks Debby  

Best Answer
I guess I should update. I received my replacement Charge 5 and it is
working well. A satisfactory experience in the end. I have decided I will
not wear it swimming or in the shower anymore, which is a pain, that and
the easy visibility outdoors were the two reasons I chose this model. But
anyway, I really like it and figured I should finish this entry with the
rest of the story! Good luck to the rest of you! Hopefully the next version
will truly be waterproof! 😁
Best Answer

Glad you got it! Mine was delivered yesterday, but I won’t have it til Monday or Tuesday. Hope it works well!

I’ll update next week, as mine is on the way… Wish me luck!

----------

Update… I got my new watch and it is working fine.  I do not plan on getting it wet, not even in the shower (although it is supposed to be waterproof).  

The support team was very helpful and willing to see this through.

My only complaint is that it took a good while for the new watch to be sent over to me, but that’s only because I really missed wearing it.

We’ll see how this goes.

Thank you!

Best Answer