Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 stopped working after swimming with it

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Set Fitbit up for swim as required before entering the water. When finished swimming (about 15/20mins), I tapped the Fitbit screen twice firmly as required. Absolutely no response. I then tried to reset via charge; again no response. 

it looks like it might be “stuffed”!!

any suggestions?

cheers

TopMac

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @TopMac. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot the issue with your Charge 5 before posting here. 

If your device got wet, it’s important to take it off and dry it well before putting it back on. On the other hand, if your device has come into contact with any liquid other than fresh water, you should clean it with fresh water and a soap-free cleanser and dry it with a lint free-cloth.

If you've done the above but to no avail, may I know if your Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process? If it didn't, I'd recommend trying the steps below:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again.

If nothing seems to work, please follow @Surfista's advice and chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Contact customer service. Hopefully it is still under warranty and they will replace it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @TopMac. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot the issue with your Charge 5 before posting here. 

If your device got wet, it’s important to take it off and dry it well before putting it back on. On the other hand, if your device has come into contact with any liquid other than fresh water, you should clean it with fresh water and a soap-free cleanser and dry it with a lint free-cloth.

If you've done the above but to no avail, may I know if your Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process? If it didn't, I'd recommend trying the steps below:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again.

If nothing seems to work, please follow @Surfista's advice and chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi MarreFitbit,

The charge 5 is sold as a swim tracker. It is designed to be submerged in water. Many of us use it to track swimming on a regular basis. There is no need to dry it off after it gets wet. If it does not function after being submerged in water it is clearly defective. 

Best Answer

I just had this exact issue.  I swam in the ocean (under 50 M) and my mother-in-law did as well. BOTH of our Charge 5s died and are no longer working.  Fitbit falsely advertises their products. Customer support is pretty worthless too. I just bought a Garmin. Save yourself aggravation and don't buy from Fitbit again. 

Best Answer
Thanks Fallon 2 for your comment.

My Fitbit was within warranty and Fitbit have agreed to replace the charge 5 unit (not wrist band or charger). I will certainly look at the Garmin if needed in the future.

Cheers
Frank McCall, Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

This was my exact scenario too.  I went swimming off the beach, and when I got out of the water, my device was no longer operational.  I went through the steps here, and I tried multiple times to reset the device with the cable.  At best it would briefly flash the Fitbit logo and go dark.  Something must be going on inside, because it started to sync with my mobile App, and registers that it recharged to 100%.  Apart from that brief image, the screen remains black, and none of the LED's on the under side ever light up. It won't respond to wake-up taps, even aggressive ones.  Nor does it record any movements.  This has been a great device, but after my first attempt of swimming with it, I don't know that I would feel comfortable with it even in a pool.

Best Answer

This happened to me to and was told nothing can be done about it. Havnt even had it a year yet. For the price ya pay for fitbit you would think they would honor replacing defects. 3rd fitbit ive had since original. Wont buy another thats for sure.

Even when under warranty was told it will not be replaced. Its less then a year old

Best Answer

I am facing same issue .

Best Answer

I have the same problem after getting the device wet. It will display the Fitbit logo and vibrate when plugged in but will not connect to my phone at all. What should I do?

I have tried restarting it, turning Bluetooth on and off and restarting my phone but to no avail.

Best Answer

Seems like this is a known quality issue for Fitbit.  I'm used to the device dying just after the 1 year mark, I guess that's how Fitbit makes money on us right, but when it dies doing something we were told was fine there's a bigger issue.  I've swum with my Charge 5 several times and it was always fine now suddenly I swim some laps in the pool and BAM no more fitbit, not even lights.  Sure enough I've had it just over a year and just out of warranty.  Sorry Fitbit but I've been loyal for years but I'm switching to Garmin where the products work.

Best Answer

If my Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process but screen then never came back on or charged up what should I do now??

Thank you!!

Best Answer

Same here. Finally got the courage to wear it in the pool for the first time. Even put it on water lock. And can’t get it to turn back on. 

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me. Vibrates but doesn't turn back on. Hopefully someone has a solution for when it still vibrates

Best Answer