Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECG App "Left or Right wrist selection question" and changing the setting if incorrectly selected.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I accidentally set up my ECG app the very first time choosing that it was on my right wrist. It is actually on my left wrist. My mistake but how to correct it?

This "ECG app" question on the tracker is not the general setting question in my account settings regarding wearing on my dominant or non-dominant wrist (for more accurate step-tracking) which I had already set (correctly) as wearing this on my dominant wrist.

This "Left or Right" wrist question is within the ECG app, but ONLY the very first time you set it up after going through all the acknowledgments on your phone as required.

I feel that this being a new app, there is some reason they ask the question as related to the test. Probably not to do so much with the wrist itself, but with the orientation of which side your thumb will be on and which the forefinger will be on for the sensors. Sounds kind of silly, I know, but the question haunts me since I chose the wrong answer.

I chatted with someone at Fitbit who felt it was wanting to know about the dominant vs non-dominant wrist, but that is not the same for all of us so it would be redundant if he was correct, and Fitbit knows better than to consider left as meaning non-dominant in the ECG App.

Common sense says if it did not matter what I select, the question of left or right wrist placement would not be there as an app-specific one.

So my easiest bandaid is to invert my thumb and forefinger during the 30-second test data gathering period.

My wish would be to find a way to access the question again and correctly answer it as it being worn on my left wrist for testing ECG.

Performing a full reset on the device and seeing if that would do it seems like shooting a fly with an elephant gun. I am not even sure it would work.

In my settings within the Fitbit app, the data deletion area does not offer anything about this app or its settings that can be deleted.

I don't think there is a way to temporarily remove the ECG app and add it back. I asked and the CSR just kept getting confused and would not give me a straight answer.

Another "maybe" option coming to mind might be clearing cache and data from the Fitbit app in my Android apps settings. Then hope it thinks I am going into the ECG app as if it was the first time.

I cannot go back and retake the initial setup acknowledgment questions I answered on the phone the first time through either, nor find a way to revoke permissions of the ECG app in order to have to redo the acknowledgments as if it were the first use of the ECG app.

I do not think it matters which arm other than the orientation of which sensor is being contacted by which digit (if it really matters at all). I know I overthink things, but why else would the app care?

I understand the app is currently designed to only ask the very first time, likely presuming you always will use the same wrist (left or right that you selected the first time through).

This also may matter if you had changed wrists by the next time you take your ECG test. I hope someone in this app's development team can explain why they ask and therefore what difference it may make in your ECG data analysis.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think there are 2 quite different issues here.

I can change which wrist (dominant or non-dominant) in the app on my tablet. I go to my account (top left hand corner) then select the Charge 5 to show its settings. 'Wrist Placement' or similar is one of the options.

However, I think the ECG app may need to know left or right, because of the position of the heart. (Whether your thumb is on the hand side or not doesn't seem to make a difference.) You may be able to change this by uninstalling the ECG app, but first I'd try the following: wait until you get an Inconclusive result at which time you have the option to retake the test. It then asks you which wrist the device is on and also whether you're sitting. With luck it may remember the setting.

I'd suggest it isn't very critical or they'd make more of a song and dance about it, and print it on the ECG output.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I think there are 2 quite different issues here.

I can change which wrist (dominant or non-dominant) in the app on my tablet. I go to my account (top left hand corner) then select the Charge 5 to show its settings. 'Wrist Placement' or similar is one of the options.

However, I think the ECG app may need to know left or right, because of the position of the heart. (Whether your thumb is on the hand side or not doesn't seem to make a difference.) You may be able to change this by uninstalling the ECG app, but first I'd try the following: wait until you get an Inconclusive result at which time you have the option to retake the test. It then asks you which wrist the device is on and also whether you're sitting. With luck it may remember the setting.

I'd suggest it isn't very critical or they'd make more of a song and dance about it, and print it on the ECG output.

Best Answer

Thank you, Gabbee! This is good info.

Before I saw this advice I did uninstall and reinstall the ECG app after clearing my Fitbit App cache and data from the phone, but it all came back when I logged in and the previous wrist setting was also retained (question skipped and just went right to the test) after I reinstalled the ECG app.

I think you are onto something about the heart being off-center toward the left a bit. I will wait until I get an inconclusive result. I don't think I want to factory reset the tracker or go as far as opening a new Fitbit account, even if it would guarantee my desired result. I have it synced to my WW App and the clock face I like. I don't understand why the jackleg at Fitbit would not instruct me how to uninstall the app. I looked that up for myself afterward.

Our chat conversation went a lot like the old "Who's on first?" bit. He got a well-deserved crappy survey for that. I won't publish it since they might frown on that. I did discover that the thumb has a different pulse than the fingers, so the thought occurred that maybe they take that into consideration while the test data is collecting, but all tests are normal so far so it must not make much if any difference. I have tried it in the normal ergonomic way and tried turning my hand 180 degrees to switch thumb and forefinger placements.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"I think there are 2 quite different issues here."

That was what I kept trying to explain to the CSR. This is not a dominant wrist selection issue. That is not my problem and it works fine for me.

Just the ECG App's "which wrist are you wearing this on?" Initial setup for that app question, which is only able to be answered the first time you use the app. So choose wisely! I will wait for an inconclusive result, as so far all have been normal. So I will just hope they update the app soon so you can change your mind and setting after making an initial selection.

Best Answer

@inPoolShape   I think I know why you are asked which wrist the watch is on.  The ECG app records a Lead I ECG.  When an ECG is recorded, the wires are color coded to know where they go, because the electrical impulses are measured in a specific direction.  Lead I uses your right arm and your left arm.  The color coded wires are white on the right arm and black on the left.  The Sense and Charge 5 aren't color coded.  There are two metal areas in contact with your skin, one on the back side touching your wrist and the one that your fingers touch.  When you choose the wrist placement, you are telling your Charge 5 which side corresponds to the white lead and which one is the black lead.  It doesn't matter which way you hold your fingers.

I wear a Versa 3, so I can't help with any troubleshooting.  @Gabbee It doesn't seem critical to me, either.  I did a brief internet search, asking what happens if the white and black leads are reversed.   The simple answer is that it looks wrong.

I am going to flag this to see if a moderator has instructions on how to change the left wrist/right wrist choice.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. Need to reconfig from left hand to right. Looks like a bug in config. There needs to be a setting in the config section where you mentioned dominant or not as an option. Should be a setting to switch btwn L or R.

I uminstalled the app and reinstalled it and this didn't work still no way to change L or R.   Stupid coding error but I bet it is impr to the tool. 

When I received inconclusive it gave me no option to change L to R..... Waiting for the update ha!🤣

Best Answer

Here's what happens with my Charge 5. YMMV

When I get the Inconclusive, I swipe down and click Retake. It then asks which arm and other things like confirming I'm sitting. It then goes into the ECG measurement mode again.

Best Answer

Better than a year later advice for those who need to change this setting - I accidentally changed mine from right to left and it does affect the ECG reading due to the "lead" reversal. To correct this, take an ECG while your heart rate is over 120 bpm (like immediately after or in the middle of exercise). You will get an "inconclusive" result due to high heart rate. Choose to "retake" and you will receive the prompt for right or left wrist. 🙂

Best Answer