Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDA sensors don't work on Charge 5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

PXL_20211007_030842512.jpg

 Most of the time I get this message and the picture of where to place fingers . I've updated the Fitbit, and tried it off and on my wrist. It rarely works but most of the time the above scenario occurs. Very frustrating. Any suggestions? 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Robadub.

Thanks for the details shared in your post and for providing a photo. I understand how you are feeling and appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. I recommend trying the following:

1. Keep your fingers on the sides of your tracker for at least 90 seconds and remain still to get a reading.

2. Press firmly when taking an EDA scan.

3. If your device can’t detect your heart rate, try tightening your band. The band should be snug but not constricting.

For more information about the EDA Scan app, see How do I start an EDA scan on my Fitbit device?

Hope this helps. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Robadub.

Thanks for the details shared in your post and for providing a photo. I understand how you are feeling and appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. I recommend trying the following:

1. Keep your fingers on the sides of your tracker for at least 90 seconds and remain still to get a reading.

2. Press firmly when taking an EDA scan.

3. If your device can’t detect your heart rate, try tightening your band. The band should be snug but not constricting.

For more information about the EDA Scan app, see How do I start an EDA scan on my Fitbit device?

Hope this helps. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I tried the above suggestions with no success. Any other ideas. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the eda app  and pressed the reset button on the charger  whilst charging the Fitbit.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply, @Robadub.

I am sorry to hear the issue persists, thank you for your efforts and the additional details. I recommend getting in touch with our Support team so they can look deeper into the issue and help you with this matter. Click here to get connected with them via chat or phone.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My EDA scan will not work for myself and husband. Went to return to the store and it worked for the store assistant. Is this sensitive to calluses on fingers? I am holding it exactly like the clerk did.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @LAT1334.

Thank you for all the details regarding the inconvenience that you've been experiencing with your Charge 5. 

Before considering other options, please make sure that you've tried to complete the restart following these steps, as this has been useful for other users experiencing similar problems. In addition, please follow all the recommendations to properly complete an EDA scan listed in this article

Hope this helps, I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine detects a reading when I lick my fingers first, otherwise it doesn't start a reading.

Best Answer

The person/not I talked to went through troubleshooting process with me. It did not fix the issue. An escalation of the issue was going to happen, but I never heard back from Fitbit. Not happy. Why isn't my EDA working? 

Best Answer

Mine only works if I moisten my fingers. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums, @jhannon66

Thank you for sharing that you've been experiencing the same inconvenience with your Charge 5. 

Let me know if you've been able to get an EDA reading after the steps mentioned here earlier as well or if you continue to experience the same behavior. 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That worked! Something definitely not quite right with the contacts. Thanks.

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing this update, @rayelmore! And welcome to the Community forums. 

Let me know in case you continue to experience any difficulty with your EDA scans. 

Have a great day. 😁 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine seems to only work if I hold it in a very particular place towards the center and my fingers at a weird angle...gets very awkward to hold especially with the clim profile... Takes me a few attempts each time to get it registering

Best Answer

@LukmanC Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience with this. 

It should allow you to complete the scan without too much effort. Could you please confirm if you still continue to experience the same behavior after the steps mentioned here earlier? 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. 

Can confirm I've tried as per the steps on those pages and as per YouTube videos.... No luck...I can get it to work, but it seems the sensors are very particular about where the fingers are placed.

------------------------------

ECG detects presence of fingers on censors with ease....so I'm definitely holding my fingers correctly. 

EDA fails to detect fingers most of the time ...so I tried @jhannon66's suggestion.... Only I wet my fingers with water, towel dried them...it would seem if you have dry fingers EDA has a hard time detecting presence of fingers but ECG doesn't.

Weird one

Best Answer

@LukmanC Thank you very much all the feedback and for confirming that you already tried all the steps suggested earlier. 

Just to confirm, please let me know if the restart procedure you've tried is the one that you find on the device itself or the three pulse restart that you complete using the charging cable. Make sure to complete the restart using this method below: 

1. Connect your device to the charging cable. For instructions, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times, pausing for 1 second between presses. Then wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. Can confirm both methods of restart were attempted and neither make a difference. 

With the ECG I need only apply a feather like touch...simple light contact seems to be sufficient and it doesn't seem to matter where on the side sensors I touch, it registers.

With the EDA I have to try many many times to find the right spot, needs more pressure, significantly more, has to be towards the middle or top of the side sensors and almost from the bottom upwards as if lifting the device up off the wrist by its sides. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

thx for the tip, licked my index and thumb and the app instantly worked.

Best Answer

@LukmanC Thank you for your reply and for trying all the steps suggested. 

I've experienced something similar at times and sometimes it's just necessary to find the right position. However, if you feel the sensors are failing too often or that you need to try way too many times to be able to get a reading, then I do recommend that you get in touch with the Customer Support team so they can let you know how to proceed or provide you with further instructions. 

The best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected. 

Have a good day, I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. The EDA isn't something I plan to use much so I'll just live with it. Was mentioning it here as it does seem a common issue and would appear to be more of a software issue, specifically with EDA sensitivity than hardware.

All the best

Best Answer