Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use built in GPS on Charge 5?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is my first fitbit. I have changed the GPS to built in under the setting menu. Under exercise menu, I selected run and then I turned on the GPS but GPS seems to be always connecting and not connected. I have removed the tracker from my wrist and left it by the window and also the same. Do you know how to use the built-in GPS? I went out running this morning and it didn't recorded any GPS at all although I started the activity manually on the tracker. 😞

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

According to this you better get your phone with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KHBR-xSlc

Here's your complete Fitbit Charge 5 In-Depth Review, covering all the new features - and most importantly, how they actually work. Buy the Fitbit Charge 5 here (https://amzn.to/3PSC3uQ), link helps support the channel, much appreciated! The Charge 5 aims to take their most well-known wearable ...
Best Answer

One of my big reasons for purchasing was the gps feature because I do a ton of hiking, not happy to see it doesn’t work properly as a stand-alone as advertised. Also why did they do away with floors climbed? Again, as a hiker it’s a feature I relied on with my old Fitbit but it’s not on the 5.

Best Answer

My built-in GPS is working now and I don't have the problem in the video above. However, you are right it's a pity that it doesn't have floors climbed. It feels to me they try to put as many sensors and features into this tracker but all of them are half baked. The spo2 only works at night. Ecg still missing... Feel like a false advertisement actually... Fitbit doesn't sync with my Vitality insurance account... Not to mention you need to pay for fitbit subscriptions to be able to see all the metrics later... Seriously thinking to return it and get a refund. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m where you’re at about returning it. Feels a little bait and switch
right now. Will give it a week or so.

--
If life hands you sugar, then fill the world with sweet lollipops.
Best Answer

@estux Thanks for your input. 

@ck_ and @LouiseFerrari Welcome to the Fitbit Community. Thanks for the details mentioned. 

I see where your disappointment is coming from. Your feedback and comments helps us to continue improving our products and services offered. 

Note that your Charge 5 has dynamic GPS, Built-in GPS and phone connected GPS. I'd like you to ensure you're following these best practices: 

• Charge your device to at least 80%, as built-in GPS can cause the battery to drain more quickly.
  • Go outside; then connect to GPS and start your exercise. To make sure the GPS connection is stable, you can wait up to 30 seconds after you see "Connected" on your device's screen to tap the play icon 

and begin moving.
  • Sync your device regularly with the Fitbit app (at least once every 24 hours) to reduce the time it takes for the built-in GPS sensors to connect to GPS satellites. Make sure the location permission for the Fitbit app on your phone is always allowed. For instructions, see the Apple help article or the Google (Android) help article.
  • Check that GPS is turned on for the exercise. Note that only exercises where you cover physical distance use GPS. For more information, see How do I turn on GPS for an exercise on my Fitbit device?

If you have checked the above but experience difficulties, follow these troubleshooting tips

Also, take into consideration the Fitbit SpO2 feature is intended for general wellness purposes only and should not be used or relied on for any medical purposes. Learn more about it here

Last but not least, keep an eye on the Fitbit News for updates on the upcoming features. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer