Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 battery draining quickly after the update

Updated the firmware on my Charge 5 and immediately the battery, which had no issues previously, started draining within 24 hours. Three days later it is now completely dead and won't charge. Fitbit is taking zero responsibility for this even though it is their update that caused the issue. I'm assuming other people are experiencing this as well? I find it completely unacceptable...

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
126 REPLIES 126

BBC News - Technology has reported this today.

More than 100 Fitbit users say a software update issued by the fitness-tracker firm in December 2023 has left their devices unusable.

The Fitbit Charge 5 update was meant to add new features and fix bugs, but many users have taken to a Fitbit forum to list the problems it has caused.

One of the complaints is that batteries drain rapidly - a problem one user said had rendered their device "useless".

The BBC has approached Google, which owns Fitbit, for comment.

"Basically, it's useless now, the battery's dead," one user told the BBC.

Dean, in Essex - who did not want his full name made public - blamed the latest software update, saying previously his device was "working really well" and was "easily" able to last seven days per charge.

He said there was clearly a wider problem.

"I don't really see why hundreds of other people would be having the same problem after installing the update if it wasn't, but [Fitbit] is going completely quiet and not responding."

Fitbit - which was founded in California - helped pioneer the fitness tracker market. It launched its first device in 2009, and has sold more than 120 million units worldwide since then.

It was bought by Google in 2019 for $2.1bn (£1.66bn).

But the wearable tech market has been challenged in recent years by the increasing capabilities of smartphones.

Earlier this month, Google laid off hundreds of staff with co-founders James Park and Eric Friedman reportedly among those to leave.

Battery discharging

Dean said the issue arose in his device immediately after updating it.

"I noticed the battery started discharging immediately - it wouldn't hold its charge," he said.

"The battery was completely dead. I contacted customer services for the online chat, and all they would do is talk me through factory-resetting the device, which wouldn't help.

"Then I logged on to the forums and asked for help there and found that other people were having the problem and it was completely being ignored by Fitbit."

Fitbit's forums are full of similar complaints, some made only this week.

One person said their Charge 5 went "from perfect to non-functional overnight", while another said in a post made on Christmas Day that the update caused their device to be "completely bricked".

Others have criticised the "frustrating" customer service, which offered "no solution other than to buy a new Fitbit".

One customer has demanded Google "be more accountable", saying they intend to switch to a device provided by a rival firm.

"Everyone who has bought a Fitbit Charge 5 anywhere should be able to return these units without question and receive an upgrade to keep faith," they said.

"The company is big enough to absorb the cost."

Google has yet to respond.

Best Answer

I had this issue multiple time. Charge 5 runs out of battery fast and then suddenly it's dead and you can't event manually restart it again. Every time, after a lot of back and forth, they agreed to send me a new one, but after a few months it's dead again and the same procedure begins. Over the past 2 years, this is the 3rd Charge 5 I'm using now, they replaced the 2nd one just this summer after days of discussion with their support team. I was lucky that I saw this post before proceeding with the latest update. 

Best Answer

Same for my FitBit Charge 6 bought in November. Always had FitBits but will be going to a competitor if not sorted asap. 

Best Answer

I just purchased the Charge 6... because my 11month old Charge 5 which had been working perfectly (prior to the update!) all of a sudden the battery was low and then just died. It went from having days with of charge to drained to dead in a few hours. UGGGGHHHHH. Well, looks like the Charge 6 will be my last FITBIT product if this is how they are going to handle that. How disappointing. I really love Fitbit features over Apple watch features... but if the company is aware and aren't doing anything... how can I in good conscience give them more money?!

Best Answer

My battery drains really quick. Is there a fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68140297

NB, y𐺭all:  implied warranty of merchantability

Best Answer

Yep, I now need to charge mine twice a day if I am exercising and every20 hours if it’s a rest day. I have done 2 factory resets and followed all the instructions provided by fitbit on this site. That stopped it draining every 4 hours. I guess thats an improvement since 4 hours between charging meant it was going in the bin. 

Best Answer

I’ve read most of the replies and cannot believe what’s happening. Been using Charge 2s for YEARS. Replaced the last one -which was still working well after 3 or 4 years! - with the Charge 5 because I wanted to swim with it. Two days ago was working okay (have not generally loved it). Today it won’t hold a charge for more than an hour. Even when charged, I just get the clock face which does not change with taps, nor is responsive to swipes. When I read all of these messages, I knew there is no point in seeking help from Fitbit. Until I decide what tracker to try next, guess what? I’ve booted up the old Charge 2! Honestly, it was kind of a relief to read these posts cuz I was going nuts trying to figure out what I did wrong. 

Best Answer

If you want to move on, this is a good sign. I got too much data tied up many, weightbloss badges to let my account go and yes my screen is black but works but it's on every second charged to 100 at night woke up 10 hours later at 58%!!! Also after the update. Best thing for everyone to do is buy the another device and not update or switch devices. I had my charge 5 for going on 1.5 years plus and the screen died overnight. My charge 3 still working with my wife for over 5 years of use. I bought a sense 2 "pebble" for 88 dollars tax and shipping on ebay and Amazon combined with a rugged band to hold it and a charger that's 182 dollar savings. Charge 5 pebbles are 30 dollars on eBay. If they are bricking devices to force purchases, I'm going to start going to their latest devices by 2nd hand sale and paying 32% of the price with the pebble, a very protecting band unlike the stock ones and a cable, none of which bought from them directly."Thank the almighty I bought this one thru Costco and as long as you don't have the big ones like the versa or sense they don't get bundled under the 90 day warranty electronics period. If any resistance push for a manager and get store credit I paid $140.00 one half years ago so I will be going to push for a refund or store credit!!! Any other costco shoppers here should do the same even if the device is not on sale on the floor. Costco refunds or store credits up to 8 years if they can do a easy search in the system and it's not under the 90 day warranty electronics umbrella! There was a successful charge 3 return after 90 days on reddit.

Best Answer

So my FitBit died after a year in December. I assumed that I had either done something wrong or that it was just a crap product (which was why I downgraded when I replaced it in January -- I should have just abandoned the brand). But then I ran across this: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68140297

This describes exactly what happened to my FitBit, and I'm seeing others in the forum had similar issues. So long story short, this is my last FitBit.

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me.

Best Answer

Same thing. Worked fine, fully charged. Took it off to shower, when I put it back on it was a black screen. It took about 12 hours to respond to the charger. Charged fully, took it off, black screen. Charged again, same result. My Fitbit is about two years old, it’s disappointing. 

Best Answer

It sucks. I have the same experience but they also just told me nothing they can do since my device is out of warranty. I used to like Fitbit but I’m definitely not buying another device from them. 

Best Answer

You can extract the data.

Best Answer

Since December my Fitbit battery keeps draining, beforehand it would last over a week, now I'm lucky if it lasts more than 12 hours. I've tried updating, and it is still doing it. It's currently hardly even worth using. I need it mostly to keep an eye on my pulse with the meds I am currently on so if its not working, I will need something else to do the job. Please help:( 

Best Answer

My Charge 5 battery lost its mojo in June 2023. One day holding charge for 7 days (even when using GPS), next couldn't hold charge for more than a few hours and became useless. 

I thought I had charged incorrectly of got too long and not aware of the wider issue. Eventually binned the thing. Wish I had followed up more.

I see from posts that this issue go's back to at least January 2023.

Best Answer

@Karinewi and badges and import it into another company?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure on the badges???

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Karinewi oh! What company let's you export fitbit info and import it to bring all your history over?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorted (possibly). I am not sure if I’ve found a solution but I removed my Fitbit charge 5 from the app. I then added it again. this was over 48hrs ago and so far it’s seems to be back to normal🤞

Best Answer