Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125

@Northshore64 My husband uses apple watch, has had them for years now. The new watch does pretty much the same things as fitbit in terms of sleep tracking, pulse etc. but it feels a touch more accurate, e.g. when we go for a hike it is much closer to the actual distance we walked and Fitbit usually around 10% short. It doesn’t really seem to have technical issues and GPS feels more reliable. What I like about his watch is that there are more exercise shortcuts that you can install on your device at the same time (yes, it does track your exercise) and infinitely better clock faces with all your stats in full detail. I don’t know about synchronising with fitness pal - he has never needed to track his calories. 
The watch is also better for those who like to use it for texting, controlling their music or podcasts from their wrist without reaching for a phone, payments with apple pay obvs. 
The only thing that keeps me off it is the fact that he has to charge it every day. A well- maintained Charge 5 lasts a lot longer which I truly love about it (at least until it breaks and becomes useless). 

Also, the watch is a lot more expensive and I’d worry more about smashing it in an intense exercise session. Fitbit somehow feels sturdier to me, less of a watch and more of an actual tracker. 

Best Answer

I had an older Apple Watch that didn’t have many features but decided to get the newest Apple Watch SE and am hooked. I do like the charge 5 for the comfort on my wrist as well as the battery life but the Apple Watch seems a lot more accurate and I am able to check my zones after exercise as well. I think there’s a way to see the zones while exercising but I haven’t figured that out yet. It does have sleep mode but I haven’t tried that either because I rarely used the charge to check my sleep. The Watch faces are great and there is absolutely 0% issue with syncing. None. It’s automatic. Plus I have kept my older Apple Watch connected to my account and am able to switch between them flawlessly which is something Fitbit has refused to address with adding another newer Fitbit. I use the older one for times when I don’t want to ruin my new one like yard work etc. I don’t use my fitness pal so I don’t know how it works with the Apple Watch but there are many apps you can download and there is most likely one that tracks your calories. It definitely counts exercises, it’s all in the Health app. Hope this helps!

Best Answer

We all seem to be wanting Fitbit to follow through and fix these systemic issues they have created.  This is in spite of the fact that Fitbit is not actually doing anything to indicate that is going to happen.  We just keep imagining that they will step up and change things because the issues and solutions seem so incredibly obvious to all of us and we like the products, value our time and relationship investments and prefer their ecosystem at least in theory.

They might eventually fix these firmware bugs now that we are now months (since July '22) into these same problems on several of their platforms, but that really does nothing to fix Fitbit...

Best Answer

As soon as my Charge 5 dies again from lack of update, I will go to Apple or Kore. The new Fitbit commercials taunt google and new watch. Personally, I don’t see this watch being corrected. 

Best Answer

Same thing happened in July got a new Fitbit September have not updated and will not. Will move to Apple or Kore once it dies. Longtime Fitbit user, but not pleased how this has been handled 

Best Answer
Completely broken and they apparently do not care
Best Answer
0 Votes

The battery drain issue was not resolved on my device. I have followed all the recommended fixes and installed this update but my Charge 5 continues to drain from full charge to zero in less than 24 hours! Please fix this issue for all of us ASAP!

We need an actual fix for battery drain on the Charge 5 ASAP!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Which firmware did you install ?? Did you phone support to find out.

If you upgraded to 1.171.50 then you only have your self to blame.

Steve

Every great picture starts with a negative.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do not update to 1.171.50 !!! Killed my Charge 5. Was fine before the update. Battery drain was terrible after the update and went completely dead after a few days. Luckily it was still within the year's warranty. Called support and they are sending me a new one. I will not do any more updates.

Best Answer
AGREE AGREE AGREE got a replacement. I will NOT UPDATE
Best Answer
Well there IS a reason Charge 5s are heavily discounted at the moment !!

Steve

Every great picture starts with a negative.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I've noticed that too....

Same boat. Waiting for my delivery. Went with the Twitter approach to seek amends.

Best Answer
  • This just started happening with mine - did you find a solution 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Tou need to try every possible way of reviving it - charger reset, erasing data through the device if screen working, restarting device, restarting phone, reinstalling app, reconnecting app with fitbit device, checking if you don’t have GPS on anywhere in the background, then charging the battery to 100% and waiting for it to drain. Last step is to contact customer support, reporting all you’ve done and they will give you your options. Normally a replacement if under 12 months warranty or discount if not. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok - well I contacted CS and they arranged shipping and replaced. Still had warranty.
Took about two weeks, but got done.

Thank you and best of luck

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it safe for me to update yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Has Fitbit told you officially that they upgraded their firmware ?

If the answer is no then you know the drill !
Best Answer
0 Votes
No. They are working on a later firmware version that has not been formally released.
A senior Support agent advised me to wait for it to be announced and released (and I'll also wait until it's verified by the Community as fixing the known issues) before updating.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Is it possible some date was shared with you as well ?
Best Answer
0 Votes
NO!!
Best Answer
0 Votes