Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fitbit Charge 5, auto updates firmware is stuck on a blank screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Currently this is the third time the Charge 5 has decided on its own. To update the firmware. The screen simply goes blank and unresponsive. You have no idea what's going on. I tried resetting it with the button on the end of the USB charging cable and it shows the logo and then just goes to a blank screen. I only know it's updating the firmware from it doing the same thing to me two times prior. If I go to the phone app it says there's a firmware update but if you try to do it it fails because the charge 5 is already doing it on its own but it never seems to finish. So there's hours long cycles of rebooting it and or waiting to see if it comes back. A number of times. I've waited overnight and it never comes back. I just have to reset it again , and tell the Fitbit app on the phone successfully connects to it and sees that it's doing a firmware update.

Why are they doing it like this?!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I think I have a faulty unit. The firmware behavior is unlike I've heard others described. Numerous other people say it just takes a few minutes and it just works. Every time. There's a new firmware for mine. It tries to install it on its own and not never works. I have to connect the device to the charging cable which is recommended in the instructions. But if that is required then why is it trying to install it on its own without any information to the end user? Just a blank screen indefinitely.

Now today I'm trying the ECG and it crashes and can't even finish the countdown. Someone else had a similar issue with their Sense and got a replacement and then it worked fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went ahead and tried resetting the device to factory defaults reconnected it to the phone. Everything seem to be okay and then tried to run the ECG again. This time I got as far as showing that it collected the data. Then the screen went black and unresponsive. After a couple of minutes it's showing the Fitbit logo with the bar graph like it's updating the firmware again. What the heck is going on with this thing?

Why is it updating the firmware on its own and why doesn't it tell you what's going on and just leave you with a black screen indefinitely?

Like I reset it and there's an unfinished firmware update so now it's trying to do it again on its own?

Best Answer
0 Votes