Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does "a walk" start? Where is the map for a walk? Walk count is wrong. I don't get it.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I started using a Charge 5 yesterday. Today was my first walk with it. I go on the same walk every day - it's a 3.53 mile loop (measured) and it typically takes me 50-54 minutes. I have many of these walks recorded with a Garmin Fenix 5X. I wore each device today on opposite wrists.

The Charge 5 showed the walk as 3.2 miles and 35 minutes. Wrong. Clearly it's not registering the "start of the walk" or something. I have no idea when the device "kicks in" to start counting/measuring. This is almost worthless.

1. What am I missing? Is there a standard 'walk activity' that I can start and stop (like a run or something)?

2. Where is the GPS-drawn map of my walk? I can't find it anywhere in the app.

Is the issue having "auto recognize" enabled?

As of time of writing and one sync, the app is reading that I have 3.37 miles of walking in. This is obviously less than the single walk I already did hours ago -- it's completely wrong!

This is kind of crazy to me, to be so completely off of registering the start of an activity, especially for a company that started in the pedometer market...

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @decadeca 

Yes, there is a Walk activity you can start and stop from your Charge 5 if you want to.

From the Today screen in the App, tap your profile picture, then Charge 5. Scroll down to Exercise Shortcuts, choose one you’d like to remove by swiping left to delete it.  Then go to + Exercise Shortcut and select Walk.  Sync your Charge 5 and it should show up under Exercise on your tracker.  You can then manually start and stop it to measure your walk as an activity.

Auto Recognize:  If you tap on your profile picture and go down to Activity and Wellness, tap, then select Exercise, you can see which activities it Auto Recognizes and how long it takes to recognize them.  It looks like the default is 15 minutes but you can change that if you like by tapping on the number.  You’d then have to save and sync.

When it Auto Recognizes GPS isn’t switched on. I expect if Walk is set to an Exercise Shortcut you can scroll up and turn it on before you confirm the start.

Wearing your Charge 5 on a different wrist to the setting in your App, dominant or non-dominant, can also affect your stats as it calculates movements differently based on the dominance.

I hope that helps.

Also you’d need to turn on GPS for the map of your walk to be shown in your App.  In that case, starting and stopping it as an official activity from your Charge 5 would be the best way.  GPS will use about 10% of your battery during that hour.

Best Answer

That's a great answer, @Wibby I would just add that you can't choose shorter than 10 mins for auto recognise as I tried this morning. And it does seem to turn on GPS despite it saying it won't as I had a map waiting for me when I got home with part of my walk on it which I certainly didn't start - but it did cut out the first 10 mins it seems.

Best Answer

Hi, Wibby. Very useful reply. Thank you for taking the time.

Best Answer