Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zone minutes and active minutes

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The zone minutes is a good concept but the execution is terrible. The ending number is meaningless. I would much rather have the total of active minutes. I know I can see this on the desktop app but why can't it still be included on the phone app? If not its own tile, why not have it within the information within the zone minutes tile. Also for the zone minutes to be more meaningful it should show under the week tab total fat burn minutes and total Cardio/peak minutes for each day and the whole week.  again the combined total makes it meaningless imo. This would also be  a good place for the total active minutes.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@JerrytheK   The zone minutes correspond much better with the current CDC and WHO activity recommendations.  Both recommend 150 min/wk of moderate activity (Fitbit's updated fat burn) or 75 min/wk of vigorous activity (cardio + peak) or a combination of the two.  This is why your zone minute weekly goal comes with a default setting of 150 min/wk.

Active minutes are an out of date concept.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@JerrytheK   The zone minutes correspond much better with the current CDC and WHO activity recommendations.  Both recommend 150 min/wk of moderate activity (Fitbit's updated fat burn) or 75 min/wk of vigorous activity (cardio + peak) or a combination of the two.  This is why your zone minute weekly goal comes with a default setting of 150 min/wk.

Active minutes are an out of date concept.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm aware of the CDC's recommendation on 150 minutes and that is why I said that the zone minutes was a good concept. However, I just don't like the way it is presented with the fat burn in the cardio in peak all merged into one number. I'm a former CPA so I am numbers oriented and I would just like more detail. Further, I would think that most Fitbit users have no problem getting the 150 minutes per week. I average that each day. For those users who struggle to get the 150 minutes per week giving them more detail would certainly not hurt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JerrytheK   I guess it is just a different point of view.  to me, 150 min/wk is exactly the way to present it.  It doesn't matter how you get there.  You have other information on the mobile app.  When you tap on your exercise tile on the mobile app, you can swipe through several screens including minutes of exercise and time in each heart rate zone.  You can expand them and view in landscape orientation.

There is another reason not to look at active minutes.  Active minutes use the outdated 10 at a time method.  Exercise minutes and active minutes aren't always equal.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes
If your referring to all the graphs that you see when you swipe, even though they indicate its for thirty days, mine are never filled in for more than a week. I find them very difficult to read anyway so I've never bothered to ask why they aren't filled in for the full 30 days. They won't go to landscape either but no worries.I have been using Fitbit for about 5 years and I like it as I find it  to be a good daily reminder and some of the stats are interesting but I've been usingthe Cooper Aerobic Point system to make sure I get sufficient exercise each week for literally 50 years. Unfortunately, its not an app but a book with charts that I then use to give myself the appropriate points for the day on an excel spreadsheet (used to be just on a legal pad) The work by DR Kenneth Cooper was probably the most instrumental factor generating the fitness movement of the last 50 years than any thing else. I only wish it was incorporated into an app!One last comment, I do agree that waiting ten minutes to get credit is out dated (On Cooper you generally need about 5 depending on the activity) but the zone tile probably goes a little too faras when I look at the days activity there may be 15 entries with many being only 1 or 2 minutes so despite my preference for more numbers and detail, thats too much clutter with very little meaning.Anyway, thanks for your responses.
Best Answer
0 Votes