Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Fitbit Charge 6 band seems very weakly attached

I just brought home my brand new Charge 6 after my charge 4 suddenly died.

I’m a bit perplexed by the band and wondering if I have a defective unit. I had my Fitbit charging in a portable battery and as I walked across the house the band just fell off. I reattached it and playing with it a little, it just seems to fall of with just a small tug if I am pulling it from the side.

I have it on my wrist now, but I’m afraid this band is going to fall off every night when I sleep and every time I take the thing off before showering. Do I have a defective unit? Isn’t it supposed to latch and be released by pushing a button? I’m quite perplexed here and trying to figure out if I should go to Best Buy and get a replacement.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

Hello @yansar 

If one end of your band is coming off with a slight tug, it sounds like that side has a defective latch. My Charge 5 has the same band latch as the Charge 6 and both ends of my band are firmly in place. I can tug on them and the band ends are firmly secure.

It does seem like you should take your device back to Best Buy and get a replacement. You might also want to ask if you can check that the band latches on the replacement are working correctly before leaving the store. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

@RiekoC Thanks for your input and own experience. True, the latch can withstand a firm tug and still stay in place. 

@yansar Welcome to the forums. Thanks for your post about the Fitbit Charge 6 band. If the band is not latching correctly, I suggest you submit this with customer support. There is a direct channel for band reports: Get Support - Fitbit. Tap or click on the band option and fill in the requested information. Support will provide you with a suitable resolution. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I am experiencing the same issue.

Although the band can withstand a strong lateral tug, it seems the release tabs underneath must protrude too far, as alternating sides of my band (connected to the watch) are constantly popping off. Although I've caught it so far, I am also afraid of losing the device. My previous charge 3 did not have this issue. I seem to recall it had metal connections however, whereas the charge six has cheap plastic connection tabs.

That, coupled with the lack of an altimeter (and subsequent stair data), has it going back to Amazon today. Thankfully, just within the return window! 

Best Answer

There are a ton of 3rd party wrist straps that work on the Charge 5&6 that are far better what's included in the box. 

Best Answer

That's what I thought so I bought a very nice metal mesh magnetic band from a 3rd party supplier. The connectors are different and will NOT stay on the watch so I am having to send it back. I bought the leather Charge 6 band and the connectors stay put. I don't hear a click when they attach but I do have to push the little latch button back to pull them off. So far they are secure. Very frustrated that I can't get 3rd party bands for the watch though. 

Best Answer

I bought three from Straps Co - they do not ensure a tight fit AT ALL. 

Best Answer

I had the issue of a 3rd party metal mesh band falling off my Charge 6. After much back and forth with the very frustrated supplier I got a refund for the band. I had read that there were some Charge 6 units produced with faulty band connectors, so I ended up also returning the Charge 6 to Amazon and they quickly replaced it with another.

I also ordered a seemingly identical stainless steel mesh band from a different supplier (through Amazon this time instead of Etsy) and the connectors are slightly different and seem to stay put on the Fitbit Charge 6. Unfortunately, these connectors stick out more from the Fitbit (1/2" on each end) and I'm not that happy with them since my reason for buying the Charge 6 in the first place was it's size on my small wrist. I purchased Fitbit's leather band for the Charge 6 and its connectors drop straight down from the unit, only sticking out 1/4" from the unit so don't extend over the edge of my wrist. I so with Fitbit would make their connectors available to 3rd party sellers so everything would work properly. I suspect they'd make tidy profit on the connectors since there are many sellers on Etsy and Amazon that make watchbands for these trackers/watches. Fitbit's bands are at best, boring. 

Best Answer

I lost mine on the beach because of this. Also fell off in the house.  Seems to be the latch not the band for me also.

Best Answer

I’m having a similar issue. I had a charge 5, and the strap would constantly disconnect from the watch. I had it for about a year, and the watch fell from my wrist without me realizing it, and was lost. I now have a charge 6 that’s about a month old. The same thing keeps happening. I bought a replacement band from a 3rd party retailer that is comparable with the 6. Same issue. 

I tried to communicate this to Fitbit customer support, which is basically useless. 

I filed a claim for a faulty band, but I’m pretty sure this is a design defect on the unit itself. The watch seems to fall off most often when I’m wearing long sleeves or a jacket. I thing the material pushes the clasp when one’s wrist is in a certain position. Fitbit is apparently sending me a new band (but based on my experiences so-far with customer care, I’m not holding my breath). Regardless, I don’t think this will fix the issue.

This is getting costly.

Best Answer

I’ve been trying this for 2 days- chat and phone. None of the reps seem to have a command of the English language, written or spoken. The warranty issue only gave me the option of getting a new band. The issue was not with the band. I’d like to stay with Fitbit, but this defect already lost me one watch. Customer care does not seem to take issues seriously. I’m gonna ride this out for a bit and see what happens, but I’m starting to look at Garmin. I’d love to stay with Fitbit, as I’ve had them for years, but cost-cutting is starting to show.

It’s not an issue with the band- it’s the clasp inside the watch that connects to the band.

Best Answer

Thank you for posting this comment - I have been SO very frustrated with the Fitbit Charge 6 falling off my wrist.  I'm happy with the device itself but feel like I'm going to lose it at any moment.  I've been blaming the band but your post gives me some clue that it might be the watch-tracker itself that is defective. Unfortunately it has taken me three months to figure out it is the watch itself and not the bands and the return window is closed.  I'm interested to know how you resolved this.  I like the smaller size of the watch face so was not interested in the Apple/Samsung/mega-huge devices...but also can't tolerate wearing a device that I'll lose at any moment.

---

What did you choose to use instead of the Fitbit Charge 6?

The ones I've purchased are having the same problem so I'm coming to the conclusion that the failure point is on the main device.

So true on Fitbit's boring bands.  They also have a lack of smaller/narrower bands that don't look so utilitarian.

I wish Fitbit would get their act together.  I've stuck with them because the device has been useful AND smaller than the Garmin/Apple/Samsung options.  I don't want 25% of my forearm to be taken up by a huge device.  I'm interested to know what device you would get instead of the Fitbit Charge 6.

Best Answer

Well, in my case it happened that I just wanted to see how things work, so I detached the strap and then I remember having some issues putting in back firmly in place, also because I did not really know what I was doing and it kept detaching even if I thought it was attached correctly. Eventually, I manged to attach it right and had no issues with it ever since.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure I follow. It’s a simple mechanism, where the strap slips into the watch, with a single release on each end. There’s not really room for error- it’s a design issue or a manufacturing issue, with some customer service problems on top. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just shared my experience. Of course your issue does not need to be
related.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @gnomiut 

If you're having issues with the band staying connected to your Charge 6 and are pretty sure it's the connector on the device, you should contact Fitbit support (<-- click link). You may have options under warranty.

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received a Charge 6 for Christmas and immediately noticed that the band falls off.  I have since had it replaced 2 more times, and the band will not stay on, not the one that comes with it, nor a metal one I bought.  I've been trying to deal with their customer service for weeks, and 2 days ago tried escalating to a manager.  They will not call me, they will only deal with emails, but they don't reply.  I have sent several emails over the last month, all of them ignored.  I don't know what to do anymore.  The last replacement they sent me isn't even the colour or band that I originally ordered, so good luck with me trying to get money back from Amazon.  I don't know what happened.  As a 9 year Fitbit user, they are completely ignoring me now, and I'm stuck with a clearly defective product - actually 3 defective products - in a row.

Best Answer

When I first received my C6 I too had an issue like you described.  I simply fiddled with it a bit and after a dozen attempts I had a positive click (felt and heard) and now I can yank on it with no issue.  I pound on it with my kettlebell and crash on my Mtn Bike.  When my son bought his C6 he too experienced this, I showed him to click it in there and he says he has been fine.  I suspect the tolerances are pretty tight.  Not sure if it is the band or the C6 with the tight tolerances.

Best Answer

I got a fitbit charge 6 for Christmas.  One week later, I tried to change the band to the larger size.  The band began to just fall off.  I switched it back and the original fell off.  I took the band off the other side and put it back and that one began to just fall off.  Just a little wiggle, not much effort at all.  I contacted fitbit support and they made me take a photo, take a video and contact them 2x before they gave me a return label. I got the replacement and immediately checked it; same issue - immediately, the bands just fall right off, no effort at all. I made a new video and they immediately sent me another return label. I just got the second replacement (third brand new fitbit) and it has the same issue. I should have upgraded my Samsung Galaxy watch. I'm very disappointed in this company.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue... and changing bands does not make a difference.  I wonder if the clasps by the watch face are defective

Best Answer
0 Votes