Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 6 band latches too weak

ANSWERED

I received my Charge 6 on a few days ago. I took the band off today to clean the two parts under running water. I then reattached the band by pressing the two parts onto the body until it clicked, but later when I put my hand into my pants pocket the Charge 6 popped off the band and fell to the floor. I reattached it as snugly as I could, but now I do not trust that the latch mechanism is any good. It seems to be a really poor design - much worse than the Charge 4 this unit replaces. Any suggestions?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone. 

@RiekoC Thanks for your help!

@Phibbit @Jtrainer01 Nice to see you again in the forums. @viktar.lesnikou Welcome to the forums. Thanks for your posts about the Fitbit Charge 6 band not latching properly. 

As @RiekoC suggested, you can claim warranty with support. There you have this option "Broken Band?". Click or tap on it and follow the instructions on screen. They will provide you with a suitable resolution. Thanks in advance!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Updating from a Charge 3... 

While swapping the smaller band to the larger band, I had to attach it maybe 4-5 times, and now it seems to stick just right. Never was a problem in the four bands I replaced on my old C3, but it does make me wonder if the tolerances are off on the latest Mfg.

Best Answer

Same issue here. Upgraded from Charge 5 to Charge 6. Band will randomly disconnect and tracker would drop on the floor. 

Yep, owned charges 3 through 5 and never had this issue, not once.

Best Answer

Hello @Phibbit , @Jtrainer01 , & @viktar.lesnikou 

It sounds like you all have a defective latching mechanism for the wristband.

If you are within the time to exchange your device for a replacement, this likely your best course of action. If you're beyond that timeframe, then you should contact Fitbit support (<-- click link) to see about getting a replacement under warranty. You probably want to do this as soon as possible. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

Hello everyone. 

@RiekoC Thanks for your help!

@Phibbit @Jtrainer01 Nice to see you again in the forums. @viktar.lesnikou Welcome to the forums. Thanks for your posts about the Fitbit Charge 6 band not latching properly. 

As @RiekoC suggested, you can claim warranty with support. There you have this option "Broken Band?". Click or tap on it and follow the instructions on screen. They will provide you with a suitable resolution. Thanks in advance!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree and my letter to Fitbit when they denied replacement on 11/25/2023 when my Charge 6 fell off and is lost while working on my farm. I paid $159.00 last month. See my response and Fitbits denial below that. 
Hello 
I'm disappointed in Fitbit because they have an issue with the charge 6 band disconnecting from the watch. Read online by other charge 6 fitbit users.
The latch retaining spring is week and un latches from wrist action letting the Fitbit to drop off to the ground.
I bought this Fitbit new in October 2023 and it's been an issue from new. It's only a month or so old.
I own a charge 3 and 4 and never had this issue.  The band retaining mechanism has been changed on the charge 6 from Fitbit  earlier models.
Because of your poor service I intend to shop other brands which is a shame because I like the fitbit styling & app.I have  supported you products for years!
Regards from a disappointed Fitbit owner.
Fred 

Hi Fred , 

Thanks for providing additional information. Unfortunately, your product doesn’t meet the replacement requirements of our warranty policy. For details about our warranty policy, see _________

You can learn more about the latest options in the Fitbit family of products at ________and ________

If you have any other questions, please visit __________

Sincerely,

The Fitbit Team

Best Answer

Hi just to clarify it doesn't seem to be a problem with the band itself but rather the latch on the device. I'm not sure if getting a new band would solve it. Can you confirm?

Best Answer

Hello @Hdubs 

It's hard to tell. It could be the latching mechanism or it could be the band.

If multiple different bands don't stay attached, especially the ones that came with the device, I'd suspect the latching mechanism. If the bands that came with the Fitbit stay attached just fine, but a new band doesn't (especially 3rd party), I would suspect the band's attachment.

If you have a Charge 6 with a faulty latching mechanism, you should contact Fitbit support (<-- click link)

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer
0 Votes

No suggestions but I do want to agree with your thoughts on the latch mechanism.  I really wanted the 6, even dealing with the clock faces part, but the clasps on it is horrible so I returned.  I continue alternating the 4 charge 3’s I own

Best Answer

I really like the charge 6 features, but I am really frustrated that it pops off several times a day. I have the issue with the in house bands and all custom bands. 

Best Answer

I have had this happen as well. Not impressed with the design at all.

I'm very disappointed that Fitbit is not replacing Fred's new Charge. If it wasn't a known weak design feature that would be different, but with so many people expiencing the same flaw in the band, it should not be ignored. Do the right thing for Fred. Give him a replacment watch.

I have also expienced the wristband coming disconnected numerous times. It makes me very nervous to wear it outside of my home. That pretty much defeats the purpose of having the tracker! For the money spent, I expect a much better quality product.

Best Answer

I just received a replacement for my charge 6 that had a dark screen and could not be woke up. I paired it, switched my band and it has now fallen off 4 times. The watch received appears to at least now have a display that works but I  suspect I received a refurbished one as both latches fail to secure the band. So I guess I’ll be spending another 30 minutes chatting with the help desk in hopes of getting another. I felt lucky to get this replacement. I have my old 4 to fall back on!!! 

Best Answer

One thing I tried a while ago that works for me with my 3rd-party straps (that I originally bought for the Charge 5) was to push the release tab the opposite way (towards the unit) that you do to release it. So - holding the end of the strap in place, I pulled the release tab toward the center of the 'pebble' and it clicked, staying in place. I only have to do this on the top connection, oddly. Annoying, but it's habit now.

Not sure if this will help you, but thought I'd pass along a tip that's worked for me.

Best Answer
My replacement bands fall off too. Very frustrating. Brand new watch from
Fitbit at Christmas. The original band makes my skin break down so I can't
wear it. Replaces with a cloth stretch band from Alli Express and it is
staying on well. $2

MLForrest
Best Answer

I have solved the problem with at least the metal mesh band. Look up my post from a couple of days ago

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am very, very unhappy with the band for the Charge 6. My bands for Charge 5 worked great and they should have fit the Charge 6 but as Phibbit says, the connectors are too weak. So far the only band that will stay attached is the original one that came with the Charge 6. This means that the selection of bands is super small and they don't have any stretch bands that are easy to remove. If Fitbit (or Google) is not going to let us use other bands, then at least give us more of a selection and don't charge an arm and a leg for them.

Best Answer

I did get a replacement and it was exactly the same. Only the original band stays on but no other band will. This seems like a deliberate attempt to not allow your customers to use any band not made by Google Fitbit. Not happy about this at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried about five different bands and none of them worked. It's not the band it is the new Charge 6 design. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have had the same experience since replacing my Charge 4.  In 6 months it has come loose half a dozen time with no apparent cause.  So far I have felt it and caught the watch before it disappeared

Best Answer
0 Votes