Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced feeling dizzy and woozy wearing the Charge HR?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought the HR for my father as he wanted to monitor his heart rate. He's been feeling very dizzy and woozy since wearing it.

He's had a triple heart bypass (but that was 8 years ago) and he wondered if it was affecting him somehow. When he stopped wearing it, he was fine again.

Has anyone else had this?

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

@Annie888 It's great to see you in the Community! It's weird that your father is feeling dizzy when he wears the tracker. I recommend reading this article that contains info about if it's safe to wear the Charge HR. It's also recommendable to wear the unit not too tight.

If the problem persists, I suggest you to contact our Customer Support team so they can investigate further.

I'll be around if you need more help my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

I can't have the heart monitor turned on either. I don't get dizzy but it does make me feel weird, not sure why but it does. Good luck to your father.

Best Answer

Lol, in order to adequately troubleshoot the issue, you'd want to try another tracker that measures heart rate, and see if you get the same physical results (most trackers use the same optical sensor to measure heart rate).

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know that I have no symptoms when I don't wear it, not sure if it's the sensor though, may be the open electrical port that is used to charge giving off electrical impulses.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer

I bought a Fitbit Alta last week - mainly for the Qantas Frequent Flyer Points. The first day I wore it I felt quite dizzy by the afternoon and my pulse rate was very erratic. The only previous time I have felt like that was at 5000 metres at Everest Base Camp.  I am 77 but very fit (5 marathons, 100km cycling every week, yoga and other exercise.) I didn't think the Fitbit could be causing that reaction but I googled "Fitbit side effects" and found plenty of posts.  I took the Fitbit off late afternoon and haven't worn it since. Next morning I was still slightly dizzy but that soon passed I have yet to see a doctor to see if I have a problem and the reaction was coincidental or connected to the Fitbit

Best Answer

@abbalean I'm also 77, RHR 52 and have worn all of the Fitbit wristbased HR trackers. I have settled on the Blaze and have been wearing that since inception. No issues here and I'm sure at your fitness level there shouldn't be any issues.

What was the weather like and your hydration level. ?

Last year I had a scare on a very hot day and fortunately I had a doctors appointment that afternoon. My HR was 96 bpm which was abnormal for me because of my normal slow HR. The doctor wasn't worried and just stated the HR can be 60-100..bpm as normal.. I put it down to hydration., I had been working in the garden and came in for a rest.

@abbalean wrote:

I bought a Fitbit Alta last week - mainly for the Qantas Frequent Flyer Points. The first day I wore it I felt quite dizzy by the afternoon and my pulse rate was very erratic. The only previous time I have felt like that was at 5000 metres at Everest Base Camp.  I am 77 but very fit (5 marathons, 100km cycling every week, yoga and other exercise.) I didn't think the Fitbit could be causing that reaction but I googled "Fitbit side effects" and found plenty of posts.  I took the Fitbit off late afternoon and haven't worn it since. Next morning I was still slightly dizzy but that soon passed I have yet to see a doctor to see if I have a problem and the reaction was coincidental or connected to the Fitbit

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
G'day Colinm
Thanks for your feedback. It was a warm day and I did a 25km ride that morning but I usually ride further on much hotter days. I agree it's important to keep hydrating. I'll also keep experimenting. Good to hear you haven't had any more problems.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this.  We bought our fitbit this past Friday and I started wearing it on Saturday.  I am pregnant with my third (not very far along) and have been experiencing some morning sickness.  Today I have been in bed all day long due to morning sickness and dizziness, or so I thought.  I decided to take off my fitbit for a while and now I am able to get out of bed and do my normal things.  I'm still nauseous, but not I'm not confined to my bed.  I'm not going to take it back just yet, because I want to see if today was an off day for me.  But I'm kind of thinking this had something to do with how I felt today.  

Best Answer
Is this the charge HR?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It was the Charge HR that caused this problem for my father. He stopped using it and he was fine again. He does have a history of heart problems and was very concerned about using it. I have a Charge (not HR) and I have not had any problems. I was worried about the flashing lights on the back of the HR which are always pulsating onto the skin, which is why I got the Charge -  mainly to track my steps, I didn't need to track my heart.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there guys! Good to see you all in the Community! 🙂

The signal emitted by the Fitbit trackers to connect via Bluetooth to your phone should be harmless and the tracker itself shouldn't cause any discomfort on your overall health but if by any chance you feel bad while wearing it, I'd recommend to stop waring it for a couple of days and if try it out after that time. If you get to feel the same, you can think of returning it if you'd like and get in touch with the Support Team for them to guide you through this process or take it back to where you purchased it if it wasn't through Fitbit.com

Anything else you may need help with, let me know. I'll be happy to assist. 🙂

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I bought a fitbit charge HR 3 days ago. Fpr.2 days I woke up very dizzy and nauseated. I have never felt this way. I did not wear the fitbit yesterday and I feel fine. I have no health problems what so ever. 

Best Answer

It might be the HR monitor, you could be fine with a normal FitBit which doesn't have the HR.

Best Answer

Or you can just shut off the heart rate function. That's what I did and no problems after that.

Best Answer

Hi there @Kdysard. Welcome to the Community Forums! 🙂

It's very strange what you experienced and I'm sorry about that. Just to make sure, you mentioned that you are not wearing it now and that you feel good. Try to wear it again soon and see what happens. If you start feeling bad, follow @hkweber and @Annie888 suggestions of turning off the heart rate monitor and see if that has anything to do.

Hope you feel better and please, let us know your findings!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not wifi microwave radiation.   The em radiation (ie. bluetooth) from a fitbit is 2-5 times less than a bluetooth earpiece which is smashed into your skull, and probably 10-15 times less than a smartphone.   Currrent research on human EM exposure using human data (since we all use it) as well as animal data show no issues on longevity or health.   More convincing is that even the animal data that purports to show increased tumors, also shows these same animals lived LONGER in the EM field, and the tumor rates basically correspond to that of old animals. 

As a healthcare provider, my guess is that the dizziness, vertigo, etc. are much more likely consequence of the idiotic design choices which cause the fitbit dial to flash on somewhat unpredictably, a "feature" to allow you to use it similarly to a wrist watch, as well as the creepy buzzing notifications of the watch.    For people who are sensitive to tactile stimuli or are photo sensitive, all of these unexpected notifications blasting your eyes repeatedly in the dark or vibrating your skin can easily induce a spectrum of nauseous reactions, which in some people will manifest as vertigo, dizziness, and eventually a Pavlovian reflex of loathing and disgust toward the fitbit.

Frankly the "light on" for time never worked that well for me.  Half the time I tried to make it go on to read the time, it wouldn't, but perversely it would flash on more frequently when I didn't want it on, usually in the dark while I was wearing it at night for it's sleep data or reaching for something.    That arc lamp bright light flash would disrupt my sleep, btw.   Good thing they made all those features adjustable in the new Charge 3 as they were super annoying in the Charge 2.   I personally don't mind the creepy vibrations it makes, but as a doctor I know people well enough to know it can easily induce issues.   If some children can vomit just by *thinking* about vomit, just imagine what *real* unexpected sensations can do to these people.

Best Answer
I had the same issue, and it dissappeard when I stopped using it. You might want to try a different model.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My post was a reply, and I didn't have any issue other than design pet peeves which were fixed in the new charge 3 design (which lets you turn down the light as well as quell notification vibrations).    My beef was with the idea that the vertigo mentioned by some had something to do with bluetooth....it does not.

Best Answer
0 Votes