Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset steps to zero?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I returned from a trip yesterday in a different time zone. My watch reset to home time zone, but my steps are still adding to yesterday and it's 10 hours into today. How to install reset? Not sure how to turn off device.
Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116

I just got my Alta yesterday, however it's not counting steps correctly. Any way for me to address this issue. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good evening, I have been a fitbit charger 2 owner for less than a week. But today before my feet hit the floor I had 6000 steps. Now I'm almost at 13000. Can something be done. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've removed app from phone and put it back again. Help I don't want to wake up to 10,000 steps. Makes me think I sleep walk 🤔. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone and  welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @Jaclyn822@Doebear@Daniellemock@Evee24@Lisa9876.

If the steps are not resetting at midnight and the issue still persists on a daily basis, make sure to review your timezone location is correct as I explained before on this post. If everything is okay with the timezone I would suggest to perform a restart on your trackers. I've seen some of you have a Fitbit Alta or Fitbit Charge 2, so use the links for each tracker to learn more about the restart process.

If your tracker is a different model just let me know and I will share the steps for a restart in case you need them. Note that this should resolved the issue but it won't be reflected immediately until the next midnight. The steps that went over to the next day will remain and cannot be removed.

The restart should address the issue with your Alta too @Doebear, in the case still is not recording your steps.

Hope this helps. See you around!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hello there. i'm having trouble with my blaze. i have not really done anything today and my steps says 7404 steps this is actually not true. i mostly slept and sat on the sofa the whole day. i did reset the blaze, canceled my blaze app and reinstalled it again. i recently changed my band to the stainless steel one because the old one broke. is the stainless steel maybe affecting my blaze? pls. help thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @chartomas, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community. Rest assure the wristband is not affecting your tracker as this is separate from the electronic components of your tracker.

I'm wondering if the issue persists on a daily basis?

I saw you have tried a couple of troubleshooting steps that can be helpful to resolved this issue. Although once your steps were carried to the next day is require to wait until the next midnight to see if the issue persists, since the steps cannot be manually removed or restarted.

Keep me posted how it goes, I'll be around!

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I had this prob and just gave the 'number of steps' a quick tap and it went back to zero. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,  

I've checked my settings and restarted and my count is still building upon yesterdays total.  What else can I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

ive just got the Fitbit Alta HR and it has counted 7 steps for the morning before I've got out of bed so just wondering if I can reset it back to 0 as I want it to count actual steps 

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was given the advice to add a diving activity and enter the activity time as the time the unwanted steps were added. I tried that but my tracker kept adding steps even while not wearing it! Think I have a dud! 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @morganlmarler and @Hollystar, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you again @CookieT.

I'm wondering which type of tracker you have. We are expecting that some Flex 2, Charge 2, Alta and Alta HR users' stats will not reset at midnight.

This is an issue that our team is aware of and working to resolve. For more details please visit for more updates the floated post of the corresponding board of your tracker using the links I left above.

See you around and thank you for your patience.

Best Answer

Wait for midnight to pass

Best Answer

Go into your fit bit app and make sure you select "dashboard "on the bottom left.  Once you're in your dashboard, look to the upper left corner of your screen and tap on the picture of your fit bit.  Once you're on that screen, scroll all the way down to the bottom and make sure "All day sync " is turned on. Then  click on "Sync now".  And that should reset your steps. 

Best Answer

Welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community to both of you @HarryCH and @SunsetRunner. Thank you so much for your recommendations regarding steps not resetting at midnight. It is a good practice to sync regularly to make sure all the data is compile correctly in the Fitbit Dashboard.

See you around and stay tuned to our Fitbit Community!

Best Answer

So, could someone explain the big idea of why most of these kinds of bands don't have the feature of resetting the step count?  Sounds like a simple thing to do. Think of it as a stopwatch. I go on a walk, I start it, and then stop it when I come back. And check the number of steps.  Then maybe do it again on the same day.   Why does it have to be a continuous counting?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @doloto, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community and I appreciate your feedback. With the Fitbit tracker the functionality of the tracker is to read your step for the entire day until midnight. Then the tracker will automatically reset by itself for the next day.

In rare occasions , due to different reasons the steps might not reset at midnight causing the total count goes to the next day. This is more related to issues with the timezone configuration in the app since is the local time that will determined when the tracker should reset the count, so you can start again the next day with your exercise.

Thanks and see you around!

Best Answer

I followed the instructions: reset the time zone and resynced ghe watch. The steps are still counting on from last night and didn't reset at midnight like they always do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you I really needed to know how to reset a Fitbit now I know it resets at midnight

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am panchakrupa. I also have the same problem. how to reset the fitbit to zero? I think after few years we may have to laugh at this as a primitive model Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Spoiler
It is tracking my steps from the car.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not a time zone issue. Have gone through 5 midnight rollovers and steps have not reset. 

Best Answer