Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Fitbit calculate Resting Heart Rate?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm finding this very frustrating to be sitting at my desk, and see my HR showing as 74, but my Resting HR being 80.  Clearly Fitbit is not using the conventional definition (from Wikipedia):

"The basal or resting heart rate (HRrest) is defined as the heart rate when a person is awake, in a neutrally temperate environment, and has not undergone any recent exertion or stimulation, such as stress or surprise."

This definition would lead me to expect my reported resting heart rate to be the low value reached in the early morning, or at least the low value I reach, during the day.  Instead, it's above both of these.  I would like to know how it is being calculated, so I can know if my Fitbit is reporting anything useful when this number goes up or down.  Over the recent new years holiday, I got more sleep and more exercise, with less stress, so I was expecting this to go down, but it has gone up and I do not understand why.

Best Answer
313 REPLIES 313

So if you don't like the RHR, just ignore it and take your own pulse when you wake up. Or buy a proper medical device to do it. It really feels as if now people are just trying to get something that's never going to happen.

For me, not that it matters to anyone else I'm sure, it provides a useful trend indicator rather than (possibly) absolute accurate figures - that said, the times I have measured the pulse it's recording it is very accurate.

As someone else said, it can be a useful indicator of trends (illness etc.). Everyone wants/needs something slightly different. Maybe I'm mad, but the RHR makes sense to me, taken over both sleeping and wakeful resting (I don't take sitting at my desk working as resting as much as anything because I'm still moving a lot). But there you go. 😄 

Best Answer

Hi 

have just started using Fitbit ionic, my speculation is that the resting heart rate recorded during the sleep doesn’t change much during the day because it may be averaging on time weighted basis. Simply put, we spend bulk of the “resting time” during the nights sleep which is considerably more than the time we are “not moving” during awake hours later.  Hence mathematically unless the resting heart rate average during the  remaining day is considerably lower (and for significant time duration) the resting heart rate is unlikely to change during the 24 hour period.

It will be interesting though to see what impact an afternoon nap will have on the average resting rate recorded in the morning 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine actually changes several beats during the day sometimes, depending on activities
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ManishT, Fitbit uses several metrics for Resting Heart Rate calculations, Sleeping, Inactive (i.e. Resting), and then a few gradations of Active; that and the historical data is weighted and averaged over a several days.  That said, the calculated resting heart rate will frequently change during any given day due to old historical data falling off and new data being logged.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do wear my Fitbit to sleep. 

When i wake up mid sleep, I check my HR is 56, but my resting HR is still 59

when I wake up, I lie in bed to read a book, my HR is 58, but my resting HR is still 59.. 

when i hike, my HR goes up to >160.. 

but when I look back at my heart beat data, it says that I did not reach the peak of my heart rate. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

They say it’s most accurate in the morning after you first wake up but my reading in the morning is always the same as the previous day.  After I get back from the gym (constantly moving) it goes up.  I think it’s averaging the heart rate throughout the day.

Best Answer

The definition of resting heart rate - repeated in the Fitbit notes - is that it is your heart rate when *awake*, but rested and inactive (paraphrasing.)

but we are also repeatedly told it will be more accurate if the Fitbit is worn whilst asleep!

These two statements are not logically compatible. 

If it’s my resting rate whilst awake, as it should be, what does the rate whilst I’m asleep have to do with it?

Quite frequently I have periods of HR whilst I’m awake but inactive which are noticeably below the reported resting heart rate.

Frankly this seems rather a mess,

it would be helpful if Fitbit at least explained the basis of the algorithm, and I think it could stand some improvement! 

(Professional scientist.)

Best Answer

Hi Mariam,

I wear my Ionic to bed so it should have all the data needed. I have visually been checking my heart rate at different times throughout the day and I noticed 5 times today where my heart rate is way below 67 (RHR according to my Ionic). 62 as I'm typing this. I haven't once checked it and found it to be equal or above 67.

So this made me wonder if this is a static number or if it is dynamic figure. 

Anyways it makes me question the accuracy of the day-to-day graph with my RHR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because Fitbit will not reveal the algorithm it uses to determine RHR, we really do not know what this measure means. It is stated clearly to depend on sleeping HR - which it should not, as the definition of RHR is whilst *awake* but resting. If they have done stilatistically valid studies showing how these correlate, they need to be published in peer reviewed Journals to be accepted.

Like you, my directly determined real RHR is quite commonly below the Fitbit reported RHR.

Bottom line; the Fitbit reported RHR is probably only of any value to track long term trends, and should not be compared to RHRs determined in another way. Neither can it be reliably compared to reference ‘typical’ figures.

But it probably is of some value in monitoring your own long term trends.

Over the short term it may fluctuate a little - mine does. A few beers/glasses of wine, an emotional input, really heavy exercise etc can raise it for a day or two. A really lazy day can drop it. (You may have good short term recovery of elevated HR after exercise; but it can raise the RHR by a few bpm for hours.)

But the long term trend over months may have meaning.

it would be highly preferable for Fitbit to publish the algorithm. To claim it is ‘propietary’ is frankly silly. The user needs to know this.  At the moment we really don’t know what the number *means*, which severely compromises its usefulness.

Best Answer

I disagree with your disagree. Your resting heart rate is truly a resting rate at which your heart pumps blood. So if the premise that you are "resting" at 9 in the morning, at your desk, multi tasking, with a venti blonde roast, I beg to differ that you are not resting. Actually, this is the opposite of testing and the body is at it's most resting state when sleeping. With this is mind, our heart rate should be calculated while we sleep only. I have a Fitbit blaze and I do not like how it calculates resting heart rate when im sitting at my desk after caffeine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What ‘resting heart rate’, RHR ‘is’ is a matter of definition.

if we don’t all use the same definition, any comparison becomes meaningless.

Broadly speaking and paraphrasing there are two definitions you see widely.

One usually says something like ....’taken whilst awake but resting......’ and sometimes says how long you should rest for, sometimes says avoid coffee/alcohol. But that is all quite vague.

Heart rate recovery after exercise is fast in a well trained person - but that refers to the initial recovery from a high rate. My own observations suggest that there is a second component (scientifically, a double exponential decay with a small competent of much longer time constant)  which can affect the ‘RHR’ for many hours by a few bpm. So if we use this definition, significant variation of RHR day to day is to be *expected*.

The second definition you quite often see is to take it in bed before getting up, but awake of course. This might well be more reproducible, but it’s a bit inconvenient.

however the Fitbit RHR clearly uses your *sleeping* HR in its calculation, and *NO* definition of RHR I can find does that. That doesn’t make it wrong or invalid; but it *does* mean it’s not valid to compare it to measurements made using another definition/method.

the Fitbit RHR is I think of some use tracking improvements say on at least a month average time scale. Saying ‘oh it’s gone up one bpm today’ almost certainly means nothing, it’s just measurement irreproducibility. But if it averages over a months two or three lower, that might begin to be meaningful at a guess. You would need to do proper statistics over a substantial time period.

it would be far better for Fitbit to explain how they measure it. Measurements made in a poorly defined way greatly reduce their validity.

BTW I’m a professional scientist.

Best Answer
You hit the nail on the head. The Fitbits are great but I think the marketing department may have gotten carried away with the resting hr promise. Now they resisting further explanation

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I find that mine occasionally changes during the day. Yesterday morning and most of day 60bpm. Mid afternoon 61.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heart rate clearly works because it tells me 2 days before I ovulate that im going to, by rising ever so slightly, the the day after I ovulate goes up from like 53-55 to 62-63 

Human body is crraay 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My heart rate hasn't been above 71 at all so far today yet my RHR says 76? That just doesn't make any sense. I've been at 67-68 almost all morning. What kind of algorithm comes up with a RHR higher than my actual HR has been all morning?

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is perhaps the most egregiously silly example so far.

*Mostly* the algorithm seems to produce vaguely reasonable answers.

But they are clearly *not* calculated according to either of the two generally accepted methods, so cannot be compared to anything else, or to guidelines. You can only validly compare them to *other Fitbit measurements* and nothing else.

This really is a mess Fitbit should sort out.

The algorithm needs work; and users need to know what it is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t think Fitbit is accurate when calculating resting  heart rate. I wake up in the morning, look at the number it has calculated and then look at the graph. It’s not right. Like this morning, it says my resting heart rate is 61; the graph shows my heart rate was between 50 and 57 all night. How can 61 be average? It doesn’t make sense and it’s not accurate. Disappointing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your resting heart rate is not the same thing as your average heart rate.

There are two common definitions of resting heart rate.
One is your heart rate after waking but before getting out of bed. Reasonably well defined.
Another is your heart rate when awake but inactive, with no recent heavy exercise. Poorly defined; how recent, how heavy, sitting, standing.....
Neither allows for possible alcohol or caffeine consumption etc., or recent meals (which can raise heart rate) etc etc.

Fitbit use some definition of their own, whose details they refuse to reveal. It is stated to use your overnight heart rate in calculating this - *which no other definition does*.

In short, the Fitbit resting heart rate *can only be meaningfully compared to other measurements made in the same way.* So you can watch trends over considerable periods. Short term fluctuations of a few bpm are probably meaningless. But you cannot compare it to ‘textbook’ values which use the other definitions, or to other people not using a Fitbit. It should not be expected to match your average, minimum, etc etc, Fitbit just don’t tell us how the calculate it.

Their refusal to do so means it’s of limited use.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

zzzz i dontknow

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did a long time ago

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes