Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the Fitbit trackers affected by the MRI room?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I work in MRI and an wondering if my fitbit will short out/de-magnetize like a cell phone or credit card will. I understand some of the materials in the fitbit are ferromagnetic and will pull into the MRI unit but am only concerned with it working after being exposed to the magnetic field.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Some trackers, Sense, Luxe, Versa, and tge Inspire lines have magnets to hold the charging cable on. 

Yes this magnet would be a problem and risk to the patient if wearing it, while inside an MRI. 

For the technician, they are never in the room while the MRI is turned on and therefore not a problem. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
38 REPLIES 38
I'd like to know this too. I'm also an MRI tech and I'm not worried about the magnet pulling. Will it effect the data or ability of the band to function as it normally does?
Best Answer
I used my charge HR for a couple years working in MRI. The only problems I noticed were the battery draining faster ( to be expected ) and an excess of stairs that I didn't climb. Otherwise no other problems. I work on a 1.5T GE
Best Answer

Hello @Cmoprea@Lmhester@Mooosie, I'm very excited to welcome you to the community forums! Cat LOL

As @Cmoprea mentioned, all Fitbit trackers contain ferromagnetic materials that may be attracted to an MRI. So far we don't have information on damaged trackers. If exposed directly, the only thing that might happen is that it may temporarily interfere with your trackers ability to sense your steps. However our recommendation is to not use the Fitbit tracker in the vicinity of an MRI.

Hope this answers your inquiry, I'll be around if you need anything else. Cat Wink

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

Interestingly, I had an MRI today. My Fitbit was tucked safely away in my bag, in a locker well outside of the MRI room. However, during the 45 mins that I wasn't wearing it, it registered a heartbeat of 220! Normally, when I remove the fitbit , eg for a shower, I get a flat dotted line, but not this time. Why would this be?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Tee10823, a warm welcome to this thread. Actually if you're not using the Fitbit it shouldn't record any heart rate, my recommendation is toggle the heart rate feature from your account, then restart the tracker and set it up as a new device with your account so it can pick the new information.

Let me know if you have questions. Cat Wink

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the Charge 2 and been wearing it as an MRI tech for over a year straight and the only problem I've had was that the vibrate stopped working. 

Best Answer

I had my MRI today.  Forgot to take of my charge 4.  After 5 min in the MRI I noticed that I still had my watch on.  Took it off....after the MRI it was still working 🙏.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

mine doesn’t vibrate anymore either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been an MRI for over 20 years. I have had a Fitbit Alta HR for 4 yrs no problems at all! It still vibrates and tells me to get up and move, I can also still get notifications that incoming text messages and read them on my watch.

I would like to know if the inspire too has had any issues in or near the MRI machine. 

Best Answer

I had an MRI today and forgot to take off my Fitbit. It didn't affect my MRI I was told since it was cervical spine, but now my Fitbit won't charge. It literally repels the charger. Anyone have a solution to this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry you had such a poor MRI tech 😕 They should have told you to take it off. I'm an MR tech and can tell you that your probably need a new watch.

Best Answer

Oh no!  I’ve heard of this happening with my coworkers Apple Watch (we work in MRI). If it’s damaged and you can’t charge it anymore I would contact the hospital patient rep and ask them for compensation.  We snagged a ladies sweater with Velcro once and the hospital paid her for the damages.

Is that the only way you can charge it?

Best Answer

I just got a Charge 5 for Christmas. I thought it’d be ok from everything I had read online, but I’m only 5 hours into my first day at work with it in the MRI suite and my Fitbit is dead. The display is completely black, and it won’t charge. I’m so bummed!

Best Answer

A thought on the vibration issue. 

There is a small motor with an off center weight that causes the vibration. 

Motors have a wire coil, an MRI puts out a very strong alternating magnetic field. 

The motor coil in the vicinity of the alternating field could act like a transformer, putting electricity into the controller, possibly burning this transistor out. 

Best Answer

I have worked in MRI for 39 years and have been an owner of a Fitbit for 6. I routinely wear my Fitbit into Zone IV when positioning patients and have also worn it in the scanner when being used as a "test subject" numerous times and have noticed no ill effects whatsoever relating to the performance of my Versa 2.  Can't say the same about my (now defunct) Apple watch however!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same happened to me today! Did you manage to find a solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Rrabie11 since)this thread started with a simple question for info on when working near an MRI. Which almost always is off at this time. Then hij&cked with a-few more subjects, which of the above happened to you? 

Are you a technician or patient? If a patient I would read the post above by @Mooosie 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was thinking the same thing. Your whole body goes into the magnetic field even if you’re getting your cervical spine scanned. That was very poor guidance from your MRI technologist. 

------------------

Been a MRI Technologist for 12 years and working around the magnetic field killed my Versa’s battery and any Fitbit I’ve worn in the MRI suite, no longer vibrates. Seems odd you’ve had no effects despite a lot of other techs commenting they have. Must be a lucky one! 

As for the comments from patients…in MRI it’s always safe over sorry. Try to remember not to wear any electronic device into an MRI suite. Even a Fitbit. Whether I had issues with mine or not…I’d never direct a patient to keep theirs on. My device breaking is my own risk. A patients device breaking falls on the facility, especially if it’s due to negligence and poor direction by the technologist. 

Best Answer

Update:

I have been wearing my Inspire 2 to work for almost 3 months now with seemingly no affects from the MRI. The vibrate function is still working, too. Yay!

Moderator edit: updated post. 

Best Answer
0 Votes