Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge won't update

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I bought a Charge today. I set everything up, but it wants me to update. When I try, nothing ever happens. I have read through the posts and have restarted my phone. Not fun to have a new product that is causing a headache!
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @brewcrew4! I hope you're doing great! 

Allow me to help, I recommend you the following troubleshooting steps:

- Log out from the app and log back in

- Restart your charge (2 or 3 times in a row)

- Check that your mobile network is working properly

- If the issue persists  you can try to setup your tracker as a new device

- You can also use a computer to update the firmware 

Hope it helps! Keep me posted :D. 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @brewcrew4! I hope you're doing great! 

Allow me to help, I recommend you the following troubleshooting steps:

- Log out from the app and log back in

- Restart your charge (2 or 3 times in a row)

- Check that your mobile network is working properly

- If the issue persists  you can try to setup your tracker as a new device

- You can also use a computer to update the firmware 

Hope it helps! Keep me posted :D. 

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

How do you use a computer to update firmware?

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @ToniNoTiger! I hope you're doing great!

Let me help you with this, to update the firmware using a computer I recommend you following these steps:

1. Ensure that your tracker is near your computer and that your wireless sync dongle is plugged in.
  2. Unless you installed Fitbit Connect for the first time recently, verify that you're using the latest version:
    1. Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.
      User-added image

If you cannot find the icon, you may need to reinstall Fitbit Connect from http://www.fitbit.com/setup.

2. Click Open Main Menu...
    3. Click Troubleshooting.
    4. Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
  3. Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
  4. When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account. Fitbit Connect will sync your tracker and then look for a firmware update. If an update is found, Fitbit Connect will display a progress bar until the update finishes. If your tracker has a screen, you'll also see a progress bar there.
  5. Keep your tracker close to the computer during the update, which may take several minutes. When the update is done you'll see a confirmation message and your tracker will restart. You're all set.

Hope it helps :D. Let me know how it goes! 

Best Answer

Utter frustration trying to install firmware update on charge HR.

I have followed your directions exactly.  I have restarted my charge HR several times.  I have updated Fitbit Connect.  Bottom line:  my device will not sync to the computer, keeps losing connection, even though it is right on top of the sync dongle.  

My device will sync on the ios app, but Will Not complete the firmware update. 

I really don't want to reinstall the whole thing as a new device, since it is syncing on the iphone, just that it wont install the firmware.

Best Answer

any updates regarding this? i am having issues with both phone and computer update

Best Answer

Also having syncing issues, yet again, and none of the "fix-it" steps noted are fixing it. Beyond frustrated with this product.

Best Answer

Same here!   Just changed from a Flex to a Charge and also just recently installed Windows 10.  I have uninstalled Fitbit Connect and re-installed for Windows 10.  My phone and PC know I have a Charge but the time is off by an hour and the update on both devices always stops "incomplete".  Have tried to restart a bunch of times.   I'm starting to regret changing  😞

Best Answer

I'm also now coming to regret getting the Fitbit. It would be such a terrific product if only it worked properly. Based on the complaints and the period of time over which they've grown, I have my doubts that Fitbit will come forward with a lasting solution. Perhaps they don't know more than the troubleshooting steps they post, which appear not to solve the issue for many (including me). I've only had mine 6 weeks and that's unacceptable for it to already be misfunctioning. It's not a cheap product. I love the fitness competitions and the online community; however, I think there has to be a product that does what it is designed to without all this unneeded aggro. Boo Fitbit. Sadly, I won't be recommending you.

Best Answer
Please follow up on this, as people are needing help & it is damaging your brand
Best Answer

I have no idea if this made a difference but I uninstalled and reinstalled fitbit on my android and I uninstalled it completely from my laptop (Windows 10) then I was able to sync to my phone.  Finally!!    Now I will attempt to re-install on my laptop and hopefully not screw everything up again.....I'll be back.....

Okay, turned my phone off completely and re-installed on my laptop.  It seems to have worked.   Maybe devices are competing with each other?   Turn one off while syncing the other?

Let's hope this is the last of the problems!

Madeleine

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is happening to me, too. Restarted the Charge and now I'm an hour off with the display time and it's stuck "Loading" and never ends. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have done the above and all i get is the system is busy. then when you follow the link it gives you a 404 error

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear @MaginB,

I have a new Charge as a result of a warranty replacement. My Windows 10 Fitbit app says there is a firmware update available but for the life of me I haven't been able to get the update to happen.

So I was keen to read your instructions, but they don't seem to fit what I see on my Fitbit app:

1. When I go to  http://www.fitbit.com/setup, I see a big pink button "Download from Windows Store". On the Windows Store, it's called "Fitbit", not "Fitbit Connect". I don't see the "Open Main Menu" or "Troubleshooting" options you describe.

2. I installed the app, and it has synced my Charge a few times, but this seems random. If I click the tracker symbol at the top of the app window, and then click the sync symbol, it says "Looking for tracker" for awhile, then it shows it is syncing (It DOES sync its current data here.), and then a pop up says "Your Charge needs an update before you can use it." There is a red "Finish Now" button, and a grey "Later" button. I click "Finish Now." Another pop up says "Sync in progress. Please wait...", with a red "OK" button. I have waited here for hours but nothing happens. If I finally click "OK", the pop up disappears. The firmware is not updated.

Throughout my attempts, I have rebooted the tracker numerous times. (It consistently displays V35.)  The tracker is next to the computer, about 8 inches from the USB dongle.

Thank you for your help!

Bill

Best Answer
0 Votes

While its updating and it looks like the progress bar isn't moving just turn off the bluetooth on your phone and turn it back on.

Best Answer

Thank you, @djfast.

I had tried the update multiple times with apparent failure each time. Then one day when I tried again, I was very surprised to discover the firmware was update, without me knowing when it happened.

When I first got the tracker, I tried to connect to a desktop computer via Bluetooth, but the computer could never find the tracker. So I used the USB dongle. It would sync but the Fitbit app spent a long time "looking for tracker."

One day I noticed that the computer was attempting to pair with the tracker by Bluetooth, so I OKed this. I tentatively removed the dongle, and the tracker has connected quickly and successfully via Bluetooth every since.

It's black magic. It shouldn't be so confusing or seemingly haphazard.

Best Answer

The time part of my charge is not working but the other functions appear to be fine.  How do I reset the watch?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The watch usually resets itself when you sync the Fitbit, or it has in my experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my Charge HR, I upgraded from the flex, and the fitbit app on IOS keeps telling me there is an update available for the Charge HR. When i click "update now" nothing happens. After a few moments a pop up will appear on the app that says "Finish Set Up" and when I click "Finish now" it won't do anything and then it tells me to pair my Charge HR...even though I already did that.

Please help! I really want to use my new fitbit!

This worked for me!! Thank you so much!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is your old Flex still listed in Settings / Bluetooth? If it is, perhaps
it would help to "Forget this device":

(Open Settings, open Bluetooth, and look under My Devices. If the Flex
is still there, touch the circled "i" on the right. On the next screen,
touch "Forget This Device".)

I don't know if this will help with updating your Charge HR, but even if
it doesn't, it's probably a good idea to remove the Flex if you've
stopped using it.