Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge "com.fitbit.HTTP error 500." Error when connecting for first time

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, heres the story. I got this Fitbit charge off a friend, and because it had steps, calories burned etc, when I synced this Fitbit the first time to my iPhone 6 it synced fine, but added steps and miles walked, etc. to my account and I had to delete my account to reset the stats.

Fast forward to midnight when the Fitbit resets the step counter, and all the other things it keeps track of. Now I'm trying to sync to the phone. I get through the process to the point of entering in the "number i see on your charge" which is the 4 digits. I enter this code and receive the following error:

Spoiler

Error

The operation couldn't be completed.

(com.fitbit.HTTP error 500.)

I'm assuming that this means that there is something wrong with the fitbit servers and not necessarily my Fitbit, or my phone.

Here's the steps I've taken so far to try and fix the issue

1. Connect via Wifi, and Cellular data to try and see if one or the other made the error go away.
  2. Restart the Fitbit by connecting via USB Charging Cable, and holding the button on the side for 10-12 seconds until the Fitbit logo and firmware version number appears
  3. Restart my phone using the "hard shut off" mode (hold down the power button and home button until apple logo appears) and also the "soft shut off" mode (using just the power button and swiping right)
  4. Made sure that my iOS version was up to date
  5. Made sure that my Fitbit App was up to date
  6. Turned off bluetooth, and turned it back on
    1. "Forgot" the charge device in my bluetooth "history" so i was getting a "fresh" connect

So far, since trying to trouble shoot this issue, like i stated before I believe this is an internal server error on Fitbit's side and not my own. Going to bed for now, with the fitbit on in hopes that it will still track my sleep even though it's not connected to the app. Maybe the issue will be resolved when I awake. Will provide an update tomorrow. See you in 8+ hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes
114 REPLIES 114

Hello @fairfielddude42, I appreciate your patience and working through the previous troubleshooting steps. Smiley Happy

I’ve reached the limits of what I can do for you here on the public community forums, so I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions. 

In case you need anything else, please feel free to reply as well. Happy stepping.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Im having the same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @jindotmin, thanks for joining the conversation, it's great to have you on board the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. At this moment I would like to ask you to uninstall the Fitbit app from your phone, restart your phone and then re-install the app. If this doesn't seem to work, please reply to me with the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, that will help me determine which steps should we take next.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, give it a try and let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marco,

Same issue here, only with an Alta HR. No matter what I do, I keep getting the 500 error.

Steps taken so far:

- reset the Alta

-updated en reset my Iphone 8 twice

-tried different wifi networks

-cleared my bluetooth memory and tried it again

-created a new account

-tried it via my laptop/ bluetooth dongle

-wrote an email to your cs, no response so far

So far nothing works, please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not trying to "necro" a thread back but same issue here. Absolutely frustrating. I have tried everything humanely possible except for giving Fitbit a call. Won't synch either on the Iphone or the PC. However, judging by others, I doubt calling is going to do much. Going to guess this is Fitbit's way of making things obsolete to have consumers pony up every a year or two. If this was apple or Microsoft they would've of been lambasted for this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @jennie1224 and @memocan, I hope you're doing well, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

@jennie1224, I appreciate you have let me know you have already contacted our Support Team. At this moment I would like to suggest you to wait for their reply as they will handle your case from now on. 

@memocan, I’ve reached the limits of what I can do for you here on the public community forums, so I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions.

In case you need anything else, please feel free to reply as well. Happy stepping. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Marco,

Do you have any idea how long it normally takes for support to answer? It’s been a few days since my last reply and I haven’t heard back. I’m regretting the purchase sincerely
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did the 1:1 chat and that seems to be the quickest way. Hope that helps and you get ur fitibit to work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @jennie1224 and @jindotmin, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

@jennie1224, please note that our Support Team might take between 24-48 hours to reply to you. However, if they have indicated your case needed to be escalated this time will extend a bit. I understand @jindotmin has contacted our Support Team through chat, you might want to reach them via chat as well to consult about your case. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarcoGFitbit I have the same issue since 7th May. I raised a case and so far simple support asking for factory reset. I m disappointed and regret my purchase 2 months ago. Still waiting for a fix. Just unacceptable!

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a zip and am seeing what others in this thread are talking about.  It seems to sync fine to my iphone 6s over bluetooth, but cannot update the firmware.  It reports the com.fitbit.HTTP 500 error everytime.

So I'm mostly fine (??).  I'm getting data, etc.  I would love to have the warm, fuzzy feeling that I'm running with the latest firmware, etc.  I'm willing to try various things if it will help (1) get my zip updating properly and/or (2) help fitbit figure out what the issue is.

Best Answer

Hello @rick_se, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. I hope you're doing well @Robson44, thanks for replying. 

@Robson44, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced. I checked with our Support Team and they're currently working on your case after your latest reply, please keep an eye on your inbox. 

@rick_se, thanks for sharing your experience with me, at this moment I would like to suggest you to try the following with your Zip, make sure your tracker is charged and then try these steps:

1. Turn your tracker off and on again using the instructions in How do I restart my tracker?
  2. Try the firmware update again. If it doesn't work, reboot your mobile device and try the update again.
  3. Try the firmware update again. If it doesn't work, on a different mobile device or computer (if available) log into your Fitbit account and try updating your firmware.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried steps one and two a couple of times.  I'll see if I can do it via a different device (ipad) sometime soon.

To report back: trying the update via the fitbit app on my ipad failed in the same way.  I'll try via my laptop tonight

Another report: I attempted via my Mac (macOS 10.12.6), and it never got bluetooth connected to the zip.  I'm going to put a fresh battery into it and retry the various steps.  I'm not sure how old this battery is.

New battery didn't change anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I inherited the Blaze from my daughter who erased all of her data. I’ve had an Alta and wonder why I cannot pair my phone with the Blaze. I’ve deleted the app..logged back in.ect. Suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @MCarlisle55, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you as well @rick_se, thanks for keeping me updated. Smiley Happy

@rick_se, I appreciate you have already tried the troubleshooting steps I've provided earlier and for trying to change the battery on your Zip and for trying to update it with a computer. At this moment I would like to ask you to set up your tracker as a new device to force the update to start. Don't worry, none of the information already stored in your account will be deleted. 

To set up your tracker as a new device:

1. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and check if your tracker is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account symbol at the top right corner of the screen, then tap on "Set up a New Device"
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue
  4. When the app asks you to replace your current tracker, please replace it and continue with the process.
  5. After setting it up a message will appear asking you to update your tracker.

@MCarlisle55, are you getting any error message when trying to set up your Blaze? Have you restarted it already by pressing and holding the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen? If so, it's possible the Blaze still has a Bluetooth link with your daughter's phone, in which case I would like to recommend you to ask her to go to the Bluetooth settings on her phone and check if the Blaze is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device. Then try to set it up on your phone following the instructions above. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is in regard to the Blaze. I’ve done all that. My daughter has deleted the device off her phone. I continue to get an error message of 500. This has been going on for 2 days...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marco,

I am having the same error 500 message. I have got this Charge 2 from a  friend and was trying to set up to my account from last 3 days but no luck. As soon as I enter 4 digit code to my iPhone 6s or laptop, gives me the error message.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yea, no solution so far. It's been months. I've tried it all - every thing they have suggested to no avail. My fitbit works, it syncs but I cannot update the firmware. I've tried it all - tired of it yelling at me to upgrade.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to add my new Blaze to the Fitbit app and I get the same message. I done all the troubleshooting and still get the same message. Spoke with customer support and was told to create a new account did that and got the same message. My charge 2 syncs just fine; even deleted it from the app and readded it. I’m super disappointed that I spent all this money on something that won’t sync to my phone.....I’ve loved my Fitbit but I’m sure I won’t  be buying another after this, spent way to much money on something that is supposed to sync to my phone and won’t. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you delete your account wait 48 hours then set up your account again or just wait 48hours after setting up the account to then finish setting it up if you get me. Having this exact problem 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes