Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge battery problems

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Dont charge your Fitbit with a wall charger!!!!!!! I bought my first Fitbit charge in mid February....after the first day or 2 of using it, the battery would last no more than 2 days. I contacted support, and they were pretty helpful and sent me a replacement within a few days. That second Fitbit had the same issue right when I got it...battery would last no more than 2 days even though Fitbit claims it lasts 5-7 days. And this was after turning off all the "extra" features... (Quick view, alarm, caller ID, etc). I contacted Fitbit again, notified them of the issue and again, they were helpful and sent another replacement (which I'm greatful for..great job to Fitbit for your customer service..it's excellent). When talking to customer support for the second time, I specifically asked them whether it was ok to charge Fitbit with a wall charger instead of though usb. Customer service assured me that as long as the wall charger was not a knock off it would be fine (I was using the wall charging block that came stock with my iPhone 6). I'm now on my 3rd Fitbit, and with this one I ONLY charge it with my computer, and it still works fine after nearly a month. My battery lasts about 7 days as of now. if you are having battery issues and get a replacement, I would recommend you only charge it with the usb cord and your computer and not using a wall charger. And Fitbit...I think you guys need to do some more research and see whether or not using wall chargers negatively affect the Fitbit battery and fix the issue if it does. Even though you say it doesn't, based on the 3 fitbits I've had since mid February, I'd say it does. It is so much more convenient to be able to charge with a wall charger instead of a computer, but not if it ruins the Fitbit!! But overall, very pleased with the product and their customer support

Moderator edit:  format and label. 

Best Answer
148 REPLIES 148

This doesn't help me. All cables and parts are genuine I never over chaeged. It was working just fine until it died and wouldn't charge. It's a new fit bit. 

The nothing in this response that can help me charge it

I guess I have to return it. .not sure if I'll get another one, mixed feelings but this company will probably not care if I don't, won'tmake,a difference on revenue. 

But thanks for responding. 

Have a good day!

Best Answer

I've had my Alta for over a year.  I have never had the battery charge last more than 3 days.  Very frustrating.  My One lasted longer.   I use the charger that came with it and another for upstairs for while get dressed in the mornings.

Best Answer
Mine was newer. It was a Christmas present from last Christmas. .it was
very frustrated indeed.
I gave up on it,not worth the hassle, I returned to where it was purchased.
They were kind enough to except it to wards a,different one. Exchanged it
for a charge 2.
Hopefully it will last much longer, will see..
Thanks
Luciana
Best Answer

I had a Surge that wouldn't charge.  Tried all the obvious stuff (cleaned contacts, got a new charging cable, etc.).  Nothing worked, so Fitbit replaced it for free.  Now my brand new replacement Surge has the same problem: it will not charge.  Odd that I'm having the same exact technical problem with two different Surges.

I think I may have discovered the solution earlier in this thread.  SantiFitbit wrote: "What may actually cause damage to the tracker's battery (either on a computer or a wall adapter) is the charging time, which if excessive over time may damage the battery and therefore cause quick battery drain or prevent the tracker from charging at all."

I have left both of my Surges plugged in for a long time, so this would explain why both batteries failed.  But if that is the case -- if Fitbit is aware that excess charging can kill a battery -- why are there no warnings?  If the instructional manual said, "Don't leave it plugged in for more than two hours," I wouldn't have ruined to Surges.

Why has Fitbit not put out a warning to its customers?

Best Answer

I have issues with the connection to tge charger. It doesn't take much of a touch for it to fall out of the watch charger socket.  Is this normal? Also my 4 month old watch doesn't keep its charge even without the extra stuff switched on. I have been charging it with a wall charger...not sure if it's a UL or not. If the battery is damaged how can it be fixed?

Best Answer
Get in contact with Fitbit or take it back to the shop that's not right

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta is brand new - just got it yesterday.  I charged it for a few hours until it was full, but within 4  hours it was down to almost empty.  I recharged it last night, and the same thing happened this morning.  Within two hours, it was down to medium.  I'm using the charger that came with it and a certified wall adapter.  Why is the battery life so short?  I was planning on using the fitbit, in part, for the calendar reminders, but that's going to be completely useless if I have to charge it every 8 hours.

Best Answer
First, I would recommend returning your fit bit to where you purchased it. If that is not possible, contact Fitbit customer  service regarding your problem. When I had my problem they worked with me to correct it. When my problem couldn't be solved, they replaced my fitbit. Fitbit customer service worked very hard to make me a satisfied customer.
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
This Fitbit is a replacement for a replacement - while the folks in the customer service department have all been very nice, this is my 4th (in a row) product with issues. I did see someone suggest only using a computer to charge instead of a wall outlet. I'll try that and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone, but NOT while driving, so please excuse any typos.
Best Answer

@judycarr

You can also turn off of auto sync and see if you get more battery life. Keep turning off features till you get the battery life that you want. Then turn on the features that you want to use and monitor the battery life. 

Community Council Member

ALAN | VAN,B.C. Canada Community Council Member

Versa, Charge, Charge HR, Ionic, Ace, Aria 2 scale, Flyer headphones - iOS

Click here Fitbit help for more solutions

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't know how to solve thisproblems.
I was really annoyed with my alta ans no help from community. Something so
new shouldn't have this many issued. I returned mine..I no longer have a
fitbit Alta. .goodbye
Best Answer

Thanks for the quick response. When I got my Fitbit One it came with a wall charger with a female USB. I then plugged the male USB with the One device into this female port. What I am asking is can I use the Fitbit wall charger (One) to plug in the Charger 2 cable ,male USB to charge the Charger 2 battery.

Best Answer

You think you have troubles.  I had battery issues with my Charge with it lasting only 2-3 days.  With a modicum of hassle it was replaced twice in the first 6 months I owned it.  For a year and a a few months it lasted almost a week.  I only have the display show steps. Then 2 months ago is began lasting 3-4 days.  I have ALWAYS charged it through the USB port of my computer.   More recently it would intermittently not sync unless forced.  The the display wouldn't display anything.  The various parts of the strap and case began delaminating.  The final straw was this week.  It would only hold a charge for less than 12 hours.  It is now worthless.  While the charge is an earlier model it was still not inexpensive.  Less than two years use for about $100 is not appropriate.  Right now I am not up to trusting them with a newer model. 

Best Answer

@cookiecarl

My Charge is coming up to 2 years of service in Dec. I hope it makes it. Still working really well and it only needs a charge every 5-6 days. 

Community Council Member

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes
I will pray for your continued good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

cookiecarl wrote:
I will pray for your continued good luck.

@cookiecarl

Thanks, when it fails like yours, thinking of heading over to a Charge 2. Check out that forum and see what they have to say about it. Sounds like there are a few cool upgrades to it. 

Community Council Member

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's strange because I'm pretty sure the call center is IN India?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks this is helpful info!

Best Answer

I had two completely different and opposite experiences with Fitbit support on this issue.

My first Charge died while still under the one-year warranty.  Same problem everyone is describing: I left it plugged in overnight, and that appears to have killed the battery.  After that it would not accept a charge.  When I called Fitbit support they were extremely helpful and sent me a brand new Charge with no hassle.

Three months later the replacement Charge died.  Same thing: I left it plugged in overnight, and after that its battery would not accept a charge.  This time Fitbit support was unhelpful.  They explained that replacement Fitbits are guarantied for only 90 days, and I was just outside that window, so they wouldn't help me.  I recognized that from a strictly legal standpoint they were not obligated to help me, but from a business standpoint shouldn't they stand behind their product?  Even if the Charge they sent me was considered a "replacement", that's just semantics.  Bottom line, it was a brand new device that should have lasted at least a year, warranty or not.  Also, the identical manner in which both these Charges died is evidence that the battery has a design flaw -- Fitbit should take some responsibility for that.

(In case you're wondering why I made the same mistake twice -- leaving two different Charges plugged in over night -- it wasn't until the second one died that I noticed the pattern.  When my first Charge stopped working, I assumed leaving it plugged in was coincidental to its death, not the cause of it.)

Best Answer

Thanks!  Helpful!

Best Answer
0 Votes