Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding food via scanning barcode

When I scan a bar code for an item and it doesn't come up, I will go through the steps to submit it.  How long does it usually take to get that item entered into the database?  I have some protein shakes that I have entered months ago and it isn't in the database yet. 

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

I'm presuming you are scanning into MyFitnessPal?

when I add something into MFP, I can then add it to what I eat straight away and shows up in the database straight away

just make sure that you are typing the name etc exactly the same

Best Answer

Fitbit's database for newly added foods isn't always there. You can submit the food item to the database after scanning and adding the nutritional value and it would be added after a few days when I was adding new foods.

Best Answer

I scanned a beer this evening and it wasn't in the database, so it offered me the opportunity to suggest it be added to the database. It then asked me for 3 pictures, the front of the package, I did, the nutrition label, and the ingredient list, well beer doesn't really have these, so instead I submitted a picture of the back of the bottle and the bar code. Sierra Nevada is national so I was surprised it wasn't in the database and I looked up the info myself, expecting to add it, there wasn't an opportunity. So, for the record Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA...

ABV
7.2%
Calories per serving
Carbs per serving
Calories from alcohol
58.14%
I got this information from this website http://www.beerishealthy.com/top-10-highest-calorie-beers/ so you can go ahead and add other beers too. I also missed Ithaca Brewing Company's Flower Power IPA but that's regional. 

"Beer is proof that G-d loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Best Answer

I'm loading the nutrition info from the food into the Fitbit app.  Nothing really with My Fitness pall. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you saying that when you add foods to the database (3 pics for nutritional value and ingredients) it takes a few days for it to be accepted and show up when you look for it again? This was my question as well. Hopefully you can help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm wondering how long after adding a new food (took the 3 appropriate pictures and all) does it take for it to show up in the database? I've added a couple things and I can't find them anywhere. 

Best Answer

Same here.  I tried to have a few things added months ago that still aren't there. Smiley Sad

A second issue I have is that an item will be in the Fitbit data base, but it will not pull up via barcode scan.  (It will pull up if I type in the name of the item.)

Best Answer

I've noticed the same lack of action. It's beyond irritating, and what is particularly galling is that you and I in this case are scanning healthy items that supplement a workout or activity. In my case it's Nuzest Clean Lean Protein.

There's an abundance of absolute garbage in the database, for example, Outback's Bloomin' Onion. What sort of complete dissonance exists at FitBit thinking a person who tracks food, weight, sleep and exercise needs a Bloomin' Onion or a Red Robin Bacon Cheeseburger while simple unprocessed foods and healthy options are not only underrepresented but not added, not only in a timely way, but apparently not at all.

Best Answer

They're probably in the database because the restaurants have already done the work for them and have an accessible database of nutritional facts for their items that would have been easier to lift off the internet.  Some of the healthy items that I eat I've noticed don't have nutritional facts added to them, probably because for some health food smaller producers of fresh stuff, the cost of the lab work that getting accurate nutritional facts is prohibitive, or the time to do so is.  

There's probably a backlog of items that folks add, and with it being mainly from photos, they probably have to have someone put in the nutritional info by hand, so it's most likely a logistics issue than anything else.  It would probably be faster if they also included a form so that folks could type in the info as well when adding a new item, that way they'd only have to verify rather than also do the data entry.  

And you know, sometimes you want to cheat and have a bloomin' onion from outback.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another issue I've noticed is when I scan a barcode, the item may come up, but the calorie amount may be different from the package.  (Of course I can't see the additional info: carbs; fat; sugar; etc. to know if they are correct or not.)  How do we submit and update for a product already in the database?

Best Answer
  1. Am I the only one encountering this issue?  For example; my cashew Lara Bar barcode scans in at 230 calories, the package shows 220 calories.  The cool thing with my fitness pal is that you can correct the errors/changes.  Fitbit, can we have this feature?  And can we add to the database since you don’t seem to?
Best Answer

So many items do this!  I probably added and extra 200 calories just today because of this inaccuracy.  It's pretty annoying to think it's going to be convenient to scan the barcode, but then find out the information is wrong, then have to add everything individually to get the correct counts.  Sure does make it hard to get in the right zone.

Best Answer